I think the adhesion monster may be back :( - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I think the adhesion monster may be back :( I think the adhesion monster may be back :(

Unread 11-03-2004, 08:04 PM
I think the adhesion monster may be back :(

Oh ((((LynnMary)))) I am so sorry that you may be dealing with the adhesion monster... again

While I've never delt with adhesions, I've read far too many posts about this issue: there are way too many of our members who are dealing with this One thing I do know is that having additional surgery usually brings additional adhesions and only very temporary relief. You could always enquire about the possibility of using a barrier in order to avoid further adhesions And I know that some of our members have had some success with lysis surgery, so it may be another thing you may want to inverstigate

I do want to send lots of hugs your way. And I do hope that you find answers... and relief... real soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2004, 09:41 PM

I am right there with you dealing with the adhesion monster and I went in to my doctor who gave me a nerve block shot wheich has been known to be affective for pain it is supposed to be affective for 10 weeks for me it was affective for 5 days. My Dr told me it is time to go in for a scar revision and have the adhesions removed but I do not have any family support and I have 3 young children oldest being 6 youngest 2 and I can't afford to not be able to take care of them.

I am tired of being on drugs which I become immuned to anyway and any more I am just not sure what to do other than cry
Unread 11-16-2004, 12:10 AM

just an update...
The abdominal pain I have been having is getting worse and I am now having difficulty with bowel movements. Two weeks ago I had a CT scan with contrast, an ultrasound and an IVP. Today I had a colonoscopy. There were a few polyps removed and a small growth; the doctor also found a couple areas of diverticulitis. I am now on Cipro for a few weeks. I was told this could explain some of the bowel changes and pain I am having The surgeon also said there are some areas where it appears that adhesions may be causing problems with the colon. The surgeon who did the procedure today is going to discuss this with my gyn doctor who did my hysterectomy in 2002 and the recent ovary & adhesion surgery. It is possible I may need more surgery to deal with the new adhesions and to put some barriers in place to protect some organs. The CT scan shows that my lone left ovary is forming some sizeable cysts (a couple which have recently burst).

Thank you for your suggestions and opinions - at least I know I am not alone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2004, 09:37 AM

I am sorry that you are still having so much pain, i hope they gave you something for that. During my colonoscopy, it showed torsion of the colon (twisting) from adhesions, I bet that is what they found with you also. That can make BM's more difficult. Sounds like that left ovary might have to come out. They used a barrier (seprafilm) with me on my last adhesion surgery, but it did not work. I pray that it works for you. Let us know what theydecide to do, so if you are having surgery again, i can put you on my prayer list for that day. I have a list everyday for sisters going through procedures or surgery.
I go back to the doc after 2 weeks on the new pain meds, I hope he increases my breakthrough pain meds because sometime it is not enough and there isn't a trigger to know when it is going to get that bad.
Don't forget to post on how you are doing and what the plan is.
Unread 11-16-2004, 12:23 PM

I'm glad I made the "right" decision for me. AFter reading many posts on this website the last 2-3 mos., I recall my ob/gyn asking me if she got in there and couldnt see either ovary but could see to take one, did i want her to make the incision to remove the other (hopes this makes sense!) - since our plan was a laparoscopy. She wound up not seeing my left ovary as it was adhesed to my rectum and had to dissect her way around to remove everything. 2 1/2 hrs...I'm glad I don't have those nasty things to deal with. The right ovary had a 5 cm cyst that kept hemoraging and causing a great deal of pain. I'm 46, why leave something in there that might cause me to have to have another surgery later on in life? Oh well, that is my
Unread 11-17-2004, 07:16 AM

{{{{{LynnMary}}}}}}}

I'm dealing with the same thing. I'm 17 months' post-op and pain is just getting worse. First it was just on the right side (where I have nothing, no ovary, no tube, nothing) and now it is on both sides. It hurts again to pee, b/c my bladder is likely fused to something in there. It was fused to my uterus before, which my gyn had to gingerly separate during the hyst. I, too, am annoyed that the only way to find out for sure is to have more surgery. I don't want another surgery, not even a lap. I, too, wonder if it will just be chronic pain on and off for the rest of my life. Hugs to you from someone in total sympathy!!!
Unread 11-20-2004, 12:40 PM

Hi, I among the rest, am on this boat with you. Being that I have had 5 surgery's down there 3 opening up the same bikini cut, 2 in bellybutton, I have been getting progresivly more pain since 8 wks, post-op. Started with getting up or down and not being able, (getting stuck) somewhere. I also don't want more surgery and was wondering about the exercise thing. I am in pretty good shape, use to weight train for years, but present job, makes that hard now. My abs are still in pretty good shape, but still, not like they were. My pains move all over, but the worse is down directly in the scar area, and I get sharp pains out of the blue straight on the bone, down there, so I wonder how much the exercising could help here, not exactly in the ab area. Does any one else have the pain way down there? Do you think the exersising could help here, or could it be the bladder? I've had days I felt like I had a bladder infection, went to urologist, but it's not that. I hope everyone is hanging in there, I know cronic pain is no fun I have a sister who has lived with it for years because of her back, but befor that she had 9 abdonminal surgerys, then 3 back sugerys, and I feel this started the ball rolling, Now because a pain clinic had her on entirely to much pain meds. She is now addicted to them but can't deal with the pain, she would love to get away from all this, Now, with my problem it sheds a whole new light on understanding hers..........KIM
Unread 11-22-2004, 06:49 AM

Kim,

Like you, I have pain that moves all over my abdomen. But, I do have primary pain in my scar area. If I run my finger over my scar with slight pressure, I can feel pains and pulls further down the scar. I can also feel little knots that are no doubt globs of scar tissue. I will tell you that stretching exercises have worked wonders for me. Do I still feel the pain? Sure. But I can tell you that it's nowhere near what it was early on after my second surgery to take down adhesions. It's difficult to explain exactly how to position yourself to where you feel the stretch in that area but I encourage you to seek a qualified physical therapist who can help you establish a program to best help you. It won't "fix" the problem, but my motto is that any improvement is a good thing. And, our perception of pain can be so cloudy. We never know just how much improvement is just enough to push it over the edge to be tolerable. Hope this helps.
Unread 11-22-2004, 09:01 AM

I just did a great big long post and lost it somehow!
Cant do it again!
I just wanted to offer hope and hugs to all you sisters having so many probs.
I have had a long rocky road (TAH/BSO was oct 2003)
Still waiting for the new woman everyone told me I would be by now.

Not touching the smilies this time, think thats how I lost the other!

Hang in there sisters
hugs
Sue
x
Unread 11-22-2004, 03:45 PM

Panda, Hi thanks for the reply on the exersizing. I do feel stretching will be the best route. And little better is better then no better. I have a high tolarance for pain I think compared to alot, and use to weight lift, I'm definetly going to look deeper into this, so I do things the correct way, exersizing the wrong way is about worse then doing none at all... Hope alls well KIM

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register