GYN/ONC vs GYN and Onc. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

GYN/ONC vs GYN and Onc. GYN/ONC vs GYN and Onc.

Unread 11-01-2004, 10:11 PM
GYN/ONC vs GYN and Onc.

Okay
I have read where many of you talk about your GYN/ONC. I was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. I had a general surgeon and my GYN did my surgery (debulking) and I see an Onconligist every 2 months. I had 6 treatments of Chemo and My CA 125 has been staying down and I was told my surgery was very successful. I am very pleased with the doctors I have now, but I'm alittle unsure about if I need to see a GYN/ONC. Any suggestions?

Sugar

:confuse:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2004, 11:23 PM
GYN/ONC vs GYN and Onc.

I am wondering why you see an oncologist rather than a gyn/oncologist. If I were you, I would want a gyn/oncologist supervising my treatment. They have the most experience with treating ovarian cancer.

Best,
Janie
Unread 11-02-2004, 07:18 AM
GYN/ONC vs GYN and Onc.

Sugar

I also have stage IIIC ovca. I had a gyn/onc perform my debulking surgery. A medical oncologist oversees my chemo, but I still see my gyn/onc every 2 months. My medical oncologist said that he will no longer follow me after chemo, as that will be done by my gyn/onc.

I do have an internal exam/rectal exam/ pap smear/breast exam every 2 months when i see the gyn/onc. I would suggest getting a referral to a gyn/onc and have them follow-up on your care. They are really the experts with regards to ovarian cancer.

Keep us posted on what you decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2004, 08:57 AM
GYN/ONC vs GYN and Onc.

s Sugar

I wish you had found us before your surgery. Gyns alone or in combination with general surgeons should NOT be doing debulking surgery!!! And all gyns are taught this is medical school.
WHenever ovarian cancer is suspected they should be consulting out to gyn oncologists. They are the experts having received three additional years of training over gyns.
That said, I am glad you are pleased with your results thus far.
BUT....... you should be getting pelvic exams from a gynecologic oncologist. They are they experts for spotting recurrent ovarian cancer during an internal exam. I highly recommend that you see one as part of your followup care.
Many of us are followed by both a gyn onc and a medical onc.
Some women are just followed by a gyn onc. Both ways are perfectly acceptable.
Best wishes to you.

oxoxox karenann
Unread 11-02-2004, 06:28 PM
GYN/ONC vs GYN and Onc.

Hi Sugar,

Since my diagnosis of ovarian cancer I am very closely monitored by two doctors. I see my oncologist/gynecologist every three months and my medical oncologist every three months.

I think that you should also be seen by at least an oncologist/gynecologist.

The advice from everyone was, as usual, right on target.

Rosalie
Unread 11-03-2004, 09:14 PM
My question is ......?

If you are someone like me, and your OVCA cancer was not discovered until after you TAH/BSO. And your OVCA cancer is not staged, what is the best direction.

I am so scaried!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was such a suprise.

I have hope and faith, but this is so scary and new to me.

Always Praying

Tina

PS: I start Chemo 11/12/04, yikes that one thing I'm happy about, and still scared too.
Unread 11-03-2004, 11:00 PM
GYN/ONC vs GYN and Onc.

Tina,
Who is supervising your treatment? A gyn/oncologist? If so, he/she would have staged your cancer based on what was found during your surgery and any other scans or tests that you have had. I don't think you would be getting chemo without someone having determined your stage of cancer. Without staging, how would it be determined that you needed treatment?

I sure understand your fear. It's overwhelming to think about chemo but after your first treatment, you will feel better. I promise. It won't be as bad as you think. Keep your eye on the prize and know that this too shall pass. You will get through this and be cancer free and get on with your life.

Best,
Janie
Unread 11-04-2004, 07:46 AM
GYN/ONC vs GYN and Onc.

Sugar,

My regular gyn. is the one who told me that I probably had cancer-in-situ. He wanted me to be seen by a gyn/onc for a second opinion because if it was something other than in-situ he wanted the gyn/onc to do the surgery. I am so glad that my gyn did this.

You cannot worry about who did the debulking surgery. What you can do is at least get all your records together and start follow-up care with a gyn/onc. They are the ones who are experts in this field. This would also give you peace of mind.

Hugs,

Karen
Unread 11-07-2004, 09:44 PM
GYN/ONC vs GYN and Onc.

Thanks everyone for all the thoughts and advice.
I have a appointment next month with my GYN. I will ask her to recommend a GYN/ONC for me. I don't know of any that are around here. I think I will probably have to go at least 60 miles to Atlanta or Augusta, but thats okay.
I have been having some pain in my upper abdomen for the past few weeks. I told my Oncologist about it on Thursday at my appt. So I have to have another CT scan done on Wednesday this week. I am trying to stay positive about it.

Sugar

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register