pets and after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pets and after surgery pets and after surgery

Unread 11-02-2004, 07:06 AM
pets and after surgery

Hello.

I saw in another post that someone took their two dogs to a neighbor or kennel after her surgery and it made me think... Two of our dogs sleep with me every night. DH works third shift so one usually sleeps on his pillow by mine and the other by my side. They are not huge dogs, 23 lb cocker spaniels but will them sleeping with me be a big no no after my surgery? They dont move around much once they come to bed with me but will them jumping into bed jar me around to much , etc?

anyone else have pets sleep with them and have the same concerns?

any advice would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2004, 07:23 AM
Dogs are smarter than you think

I have 2 very large Golden Retrievers. I worried about the same thing. Believe it or not they know when we are not feeling well. When I would lay on the couch one would always be at my feet. The other on the floor right in front of the couch. Both of them usually are in be with us too. But right after my surgery up until I said it was ok they were careful in bed. The best thing you can do is get a body pillow. So when you are on your side you can prop your leg on and kinda hug. This way you also have this between you and the dog. For some reason mine always slept beside us. From the time I had my surgery(5 months ago) up until recently they started sleeping at the foot of the bed. I think they just 'Know'. The worst problem I had was when I would get up to got to the bathroom or anywhere in the house they would get in front of me and almost trip me. They try to protect you. Good luck. I am sure you will be fine.
Unread 11-02-2004, 07:38 AM
pets and after surgery

I had my TAH/ RSO on 10/14 and I have had no problems with my animals sleeping with me, but my dogs are smaller (4 1/2# pomeranian, 6# powder puff chinese crested, 10# hairless chinese crested, and 12# cat). I keep a pillow over my tummy so they don't get rowdy and step on me. My Dh also works third shift, and I just can't sleep if they aren't packed in around me. I don't really remember the bouncing around bothering me all that much, but I was a bad little princess and didn't spend much time in bed, so maybe someone else can share their experiences with that.
I'm not really used to the cat sleeping on my chest though, that's new, he didn't like me before my hyst, now he thinks we are best buddies! But my hairless really hates my hot flashes, -poor naked baby gets cold so she sleeps under my blankets, but with all the hot flashes, I don't keep the heat on in my room at night, and then I throw off the covers several times a night. She'll be as happy as I am if they ever go away!

Hope all goes well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2004, 08:01 AM
I would keep them home with you!

I have one 28 lb mutt, that sleeps in the crook of my knee every night! Unfortuneatly, I slept for about 4 nights in a recliner. My poor dog, slept on the floor next to me, and every move, woke up and licked my toes. She is very happy to have me back in bed, and loves the body pillow. It has become her afternoon nap bed, though she has to fight my 18 lb cat for it .
I wouldn't sleep very good without the animals there. My DH says we need a King size bed just for our kingsize animals.
  Quote:
I'm not really used to the cat sleeping on my chest though, that's new, he didn't like me before my hyst, now he thinks we are best buddies!
Vk1~ I too used a pillow on my lap for the just incase they jumped up and my 4 kids that throw themselves at me. My cat loves my chest now too.
Unread 11-02-2004, 10:44 AM
pets and after surgery

I have 2 miniature pinchers (although not so miniature, about 18# and 12#) that also sleep with me every night, one in the crook of my knees, and the other in the crook of my belly. I am not sure that I am going to be able to sleep in bed for a little while after I come home anyway, but I guess I am just crossing that road when I come to it.

My DH is staying home the first week I am home ( I will be in castle 5-7 days), soley to handle the dogs. I was worried about me not being up to getting up every 5 minutes that they want to be let out...lol....

But hey, they're my babies, they can do no wrong in "mommas" eyes....lol

Erin

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register