Weight Gain or Loss afterwards... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weight Gain or Loss afterwards... Weight Gain or Loss afterwards...

Unread 11-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Weight Gain or Loss afterwards...

Hi Ladies,

I'm just curious if any of you who have already had the surgery have noticed a change in weight, either up or down. I realize that long term it will depend on hormones, but I always feel so bloated most of the time that I'm hoping that once the post-op gas leaves my body that I'll feel a little "lighter". I guess I could post this on the Post-Op board, but I try to stay away from that board for now so that I don't read anything scary.

Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2004, 06:41 PM

S

Everyone is different, but . . . although hormones can and do play a role in weight gain, it is also due to eating too much

My surgery was over 2 1/2 years ago. I lost about 10 pounds in the immediate post op period, mostly due to lack of appetite. Once my appetite came back so did 5 of those pounds and the other have have made their way back also. I weigh the same today as I did before surgery, which isn't necessarily a good thing, I was overweight before surgery. I am more active now, because I feel so much better and have so much more energy.

Quote:
I guess I could post this on the Post-Op board
Since you're pre op, this is the correct place to ask these types of questions. The post op ladies are wonderful about coming over to PreOp to answer questions and offer encouragement to all the LIW's. PostOp is for the post op members questions and concerns.

Hope this helps!
Unread 11-04-2004, 06:50 PM

At three weeks post op, I've lost a total of 7lbs., but my appetite is coming back and I just had a birthday this past Monday (with a huge cake!), so I'm sure I'll be packing them back on again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2004, 08:20 PM

Initially, I gained ten pounds and puffed up like a balloon. Over the first week and a half, with a doctor approved diuretic, I lost that ten. I had hoped I would lose more...and today I weighed and am down three more. I have a lot to lose...so it was encouraging. Everyone is different. Some lose, some gain. Just make sure you eat well, and don't try to diet while you recover. You need the protein to heal with.
Unread 11-05-2004, 05:47 AM

Due to the stress I'm sure before surgery I lost 5 pounds! Then after surgery - I continued to lose 18 more pounds (that was by 4 weeks Post-op) For the total of 23 pounds. I maintained a liquid diet the first week Post-op but by the start of the 2nd week I ate all the time and drank lots of water. I had a healthy appetite so I was alarmed at first that I continued to lose weight so when I went to my 3 week (my Dr. was out of the office for my 2nd week time) I asked him if there was something wrong because I was eating so much (but the good foods - mainly veggies, almonds, tofu) and losing weight - he said I was fine - I must've jump started my metaboloism, or all the walking I was doing or something! I felt great - but I noticed that since I returned back to work (this past Monday) and I have been sitting more (at my PC) I still eat healthy at all my meals but stress has gotten the best of me and I've taken to the vending machine for some chocolate chip cookies!

I see my Dr. next week for my 6 week. I think I've gained back a pound or two! But either way - I feel great, I am happy!

Like the others have stated - your main goal after hyster is your recovery - lots of rest, fluids, and when you can - your walking. Listen to your Dr. and hopefully you will have an uneventful recovery (those are the best!!!)

CJ
Unread 11-05-2004, 03:00 PM

I lost 10 lbs with the surgery. I didn't have much of an appetite and still don't really since surgery. So, when I go in next week for my last appointment (6-week) I"m very sure there will be additional pounds lost.
Unread 11-05-2004, 05:14 PM

WEll for me its been 5. 1/2 weeks and I would love to say that I've lost, but since I've thrown my scale out years ago, I couldn't be sure. I guess I'll find out at my 8 week check up. I do think I've lost, my saddlebags are looking less full, ** hum.

Ashley

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register