Wondering | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Wondering

I'm 9 months post-op (TAH) and have been on Estrace, 2mgs,1xday since May. Whats the usual amount of time for a woman to take this after a hyster? I have already had 1 stroke, so I am high risk for another blood clot. I discussed (tried) this with my DR, he didn't seem as concerned as I am. He gave me enough to last until my one year check-up in Feb.
I hate to think of coming off them. For me, they're wonderful. I call them my little blue happy pills. No more hot flashes, night sweats, etc. If I stop them, are all the symptoms going to come back?
Connie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2004, 07:43 AM
Wondering

HI Connie

I wish there was a magic number of years for women to know how long to use their estrogen. Unfortunately we are all so different and some women might need it longer than other women. There are women who successfully manage their menopause symptoms without using estrogen. Your symptoms may or may not come back if you discontinue using it.

I have no future plans to discontinue my HRT. This is something I review annually with my doctor. Since you are at a higher risk (because of the previous stroke) you would definently need to keep in close contact with your doctor on how long you should remain on ERT.

I am just wondering if you have discussed the possibility of using a estrogen patch verses the pill forms. When you take a pill you have to take a higher dose because most of it is lost as it passes through your liver.

With a patch it by-passes the digestive tract and goes straight into the bloodstream. Therefore requiring a smaller dose.

Just as an example the 2 mg of estrace you are taking is equal to
.1 mg in a vivelle dot patch. So you can see you would need less estrogen for the same symptom relief. Just a thought.

If your current doctor is not concerened with your risk factor, but you are, then do you have another doctor you could see to help revoiew all the poosible factors involved?

You can visit the No-hormone dessert oasis to maybe see how other women handle their symptoms without estrogen.

Good luck on everything

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register