are these symptons really adenomyosis? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

are these symptons really adenomyosis? are these symptons really adenomyosis?

Unread 11-05-2004, 11:21 AM
are these symptons really adenomyosis?

I'm 43 and have been having irregular cycles for several years, in the past year it has been crazy! I used to be like clockwork, every 22 days, lasting 3-4 days - no problem! Now my cycles vary from 12 days to 68 days, lasting sometimes up to 12 days at a time, accompanied by much more severe cramping!!! And then there's the spotting..... some months that goes on for weeks! My mom had an ovarian cyst so large it required a hysterectomy (she was in her early 50's). My older sister had polyps and fibroids.... I had an ultrasound, they found nothing except an enlarged uterus. Since I have had 2 c-sections, they have diagnosed me with adenomyosis and perimenopause - and have me on provera now, but the Dr. has made it plain that she feels I will have to have a hysterectomy. I am really confused. Do these symptoms sound like adenomyosis? If so, is hysterectomy the way to go? And if so, how much should they take, ovaries, cervix.... ????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2004, 11:33 AM

Hi,
I am the same age as you and I have the adeno diagnosis. My symtoms were not the same as yours. Mine were more focused on the pain and discomfort but like you I have an enlarged uterus. In all the research I have done, the only sure cure for adeno is a hyst. There is a great article on adenomyosis here on the Hystersisters site. Just go to 'Resources' up on top of the page. There is a section call - Road less traveled- Endo and Adeno. Click on that and toward the bottom of the list of article is one called The Basics of Adenomysis. It is very informative. I hope this helps.

Maria
Unread 11-05-2004, 11:36 AM

I am almost 11 weeks post total abdominal hysterectomy. The last year before my hysterectomy my cycles were crazy. I bled for 100 straight days and again for 21 straight days. I had lots of cramping and clotting. I had been diagnosed with fibroids but after the hysterectomy the pathologist found that I had adenomyosis. From what I have learned, there isn't a cure for it and hysterectomy is usually the treatment. I will tell you that I feel absolutely better!!! I was anemic from bleeding so much. Now I have more energy and no more pain. I had everything removed, including my cervix. Because of a suspicious ovarian cyst, the doctor also removed my ovaries. I'm on bioidentical hormones which don't have the side-effects like synthetic hormones. Life is getting better each week.

Debbi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Re: are these symptons really adenomyosis?

Quote:
Originally posted by genealogybug
Do these symptoms sound like adenomyosis? If so, is hysterectomy the way to go? And if so, how much should they take, ovaries, cervix.... ????
Has your doctor done any other tests or have you tried any other procedures? Some women get some relief with ablation. Polyps can cause some of the symptoms you describe (heavy bleeding, flooding and spotting) and those can be treated with a D&C (& be diagnosed with hysteroscopy). Fibroids can also cause an enlarged uterus but it seems often the cause is found later to be adeno.

Should you have a hyster, I would definitely discuss preserving your ovaries if they're healthy. Adenomyosis is a uterine problem, not an ovarian one. There are lots of threads current on this page and a few others about the benefits and risk associated with keeping your ovaries. You're rather young to have them removed if they're healthy.

Take care.
Unread 11-05-2004, 11:47 AM

Your story sounds much like mine......I was bleeding every 3-5 weeks and then for 21-30 days! The cramping became more intense with each period.
My dr told me I bled so heavy and long because I had such a big area to bleed from....(enlarged uterus). The uterus is so big from the endometrium that does not slough off, and attaches itself to the inside of the uterus (which is adenomyosis....or internal endometriosis).
I had my SAH on 9-24. I felt better after the surgery than before!!
I am now 6 weeks post-op and feeling great! It is so nice to have color back in my face! I have less tiredness now than prior to surgery from the anemia. I had less pain during post-op than I did before the surgery.
What a difference this surgery has made in my life! I have no regrets and would chose it again!

Nancy
Unread 11-05-2004, 11:51 AM

Hi, yes those are some symptoms of adenomyosis. This condition also shows up at your age. My doctor said that adenoymosis usully is not apparent on tests. Mine was seen on my last ultra sound. Often it's diagnosed post surgery ( in the lab.)
The description that fit my symptoms to a Tee was on a site: www.endometriosistreatment.org Check this out.
If you go forward with the thoughts of surgery your doctor may suggest taking your ovaries too. Something more for you to think about.
Best of luck to you. Maralyn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register