Post-op appointment...disappointment sets in! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-op appointment...disappointment sets in! Post-op appointment...disappointment sets in!

Unread 11-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Post-op appointment...disappointment sets in!

Thought I'd post about my post op appointment as I know far too many of my (((sisters))) are in the same boat. Sorry if this is too long.

First of all, she went into detail about what she did during surgery, showed me the pictures, etc. Seems I was a mess! Extensive adhesions -- omentum stuck to my abdominal was from my belly button down, sigmoid colon stuck to my vaginal cuff, right tube cemented to my ovary and on and on. Also found endo in the middle of this mess. Also had a "suspicous fatty mass" which was excised and turned out to basically be dead tissue. My right ovary was grossly cyctic - joy! She used Interceed as a barrier (where DBF got mesh beats me).

Then we talked about meno symptoms. She wants to keep me off of HRT for at least 6 months as the cystic ovary and endo was a sure sign of too much estrogen (despite 6 months of Lupron). However, bone density loss is an issue for me because I have already been diagnosed with arthritis and DDD. So, I'm having a bone density scan done on the 17th. She suggested using Remifimin for hot flashes, irritability, sleep problems, etc. and gave me samples.

Then it was time to discuss the muscle spasms I've been having in my abdomen. She said it could be healing pain, but she was afraid it was probably more adhesions forming. ACK!! And of course, more surgery would most likely only compound the problem. She said she was also afraid of bowel involvement. Am I destined to a life of pain????? She went as far as to suggest that I take my op/path reports to my next PM appointment. I knew the chances of more adhesions....but also knew the ovary needed to come out....but 2 weeks!?!?! I just can't get my head around this!!! Although I hate that so many of you are suffering with this same thing, my only comforting thought is that I have you all to talk to about it.

A small light at the end of the tunnel, she did give me the okay to "try" intercourse again.

Big sigh..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2004, 03:25 PM

Well, (((Sweetie))).... see you had a LOT of work done. You really needed more rest. As for adhesions or healing pain.... if it could be healing pain, so lets focus on praying for that. Because then that means you might be all better in time.

If I could not remain optimistic, I'd truly go down the tubes. I'm not trying to diminish your symptoms in anyway, just praying for the best possible outcome for you.

Lots of s !!
Unread 11-05-2004, 03:45 PM

(((Sweetie)))
I agree with Michelle, don't think the worse just yet. You are still early in recovery and had alot of work done. Concentrate on the positive and hopefully with some time, you will start to feel better. I know for me, with each surgery I've had, it has taken me longer to recover.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2004, 03:58 PM

s Sweetie!
I pray that it is not adhesions. I know I have had 2 bouts that have been 3 weeks or 4 weeks and one 6 months. And this last time he used Seprafilm too.
Let's make a deal, let's try to be positive at least once everyday and tell ourselves that it is not what we think it is. Let's pray for each other and be there for each other. Heck, lets start an adhesionsisters support group LOL
Trust me, I know how you are feeling right now. I would totally lose my mind :eyes: if it I didn't have this site and my fellow sisters who are all experiencing the same problems!
Please keep us updated as I am sure the rest of us will do the same.

Unread 11-05-2004, 07:16 PM

(((Sweetie))),
I have to agree with the others...you just went thru quite an extensive surgery, lots of things went on in there...they will take time to heal
Hopefully, each new day will bring with it some added relief
Good Luck at your upcoming PM appt..pls let us know how it goes...((((hugs))))
Unread 11-09-2004, 07:34 AM

You all are right. I tend to forget that my body needs time to heal from the surgery and I hope and pray this is exactly that..."healing pain." I guess I just didn't walk away from the post op appointment with a very good "gut" feeling. I desperately wanted that.

I did speak with my PM doc again yesterday and she called in more Lortab to last until my appointment with her on the 22nd. (Darvocet still just isn't cutting it.) When I tried to use them for the pain, my back pain returned so.....

Thanks for listening to me whine. s to all!
Unread 11-09-2004, 07:53 AM

sorry to hear your having so many problems.. i know myself i had surgery again in august of this year and i'm still not back to normal so hang in there it's bound to bget better sooner or later.
Unread 11-09-2004, 09:11 AM

FYI; confirmed with ob/gyn again, just adhesions causing pain. when i say JUST I mean, DUH - its frustrating to talk with all of the doctors. I know they understand our pain, I felt better after talking with her. I know that she only went in for my ovaries and what was left (already have uterus removed). She found a LOT of adhesions and didn't sound like she tried to get any of it. Several wks ago she told DH and me during a visit that she disected and disected, etc. I guess it was just to get my ovaries out. so, with that being said, I'm sitting here at my desk (office/work) and hurting while I sit upright. Sometimes I sit back some to take the pressure off, but some days are better and those days are happening more often. Just not as much as I would like, she reminded me. I talked to her about continuing pain meds (Lortabs) as I seem to be weaning myself down. I'm like others, Darvocet is like taking candy. Even if I went 3 days with no pain meds, I don't think the Darvocet would provide relief!
I am praying, as others said, for those of us with Adhesion pain. The cure is not there. I feel like the Elavil isn't working as well as the firs tweek, but am afraid to get off of it right now, so I'll continue to do as dr. tells me to. She said to call her office and if my request for reasonable dose of pain meds was okay, she would continue. Best wishes and many hugs coming at the rest of you as we make our way back to the REAL world!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register