Is there anyone here still on pain meds 4 weeks post?? Am I a BABY??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is there anyone here still on pain meds 4 weeks post?? Am I a BABY??? Is there anyone here still on pain meds 4 weeks post?? Am I a BABY???

Unread 11-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Is there anyone here still on pain meds 4 weeks post?? Am I a BABY???

My doctor was giving me 600 MG IB with vicodin in combo. They work great together but NOT alone...and now they are saying NO more vicodin. I still feel I need it though...what to do???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2004, 01:27 PM

At the fourth week, I was still taking 1/2 of pill, maybe two times per week. Usually after doing way too much. You can take up to 8 tylenol extra strength pain relievers per day. Or try heat or ice on the area?
Unread 11-08-2004, 01:37 PM

I didn't stop mine till week 5 and I was on Demerol and Motrin. I still take the occasional 600mg motrin but no more pain killers I'm glad to be off them finally. Its been a long past 3 years on them i'm glad to wave bye bye to mine. Everybody heals differently and maybe you are doing to much so slow down and take your time after all you only have one chance to heal right and this is the time for you to do it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2004, 01:38 PM

First, you're not a baby. Yes, there are those sisters who use the morphine pump for 12 hours and never even take a Tylenol after that. And there are those who use the pain pills for a week or two, and some of us who use them longer.

My dr. sent me home from the castle with 30 vicodin and 40 ibuprofen 600 mg. I was staggering them -- vicodin at 9 a.m., ibuprofen at noon, vicodin at 3 p.m., etc..... and I asked my dr. if I should call her if I ran out of the vicodin. She gave me the "Rush Limbaugh" look which told me I would have a better chance of being hit by lightning than to get more drugs out of her.

Anyhoo, I went to see my regular old gp at 1 week post-op because one of my drains stopped working. I was still in a great deal of pain. I asked for more pain pills and she was VERY good about prescribing them. I'm now 7 weeks post-op and still take 1/2 to 1 pill per day -- but only when I need it. And I know when I've got the kind of ache or pain that ibuprofen (my OTC "drug of choice") will handle.

I am constantly amazed at how doctors seem to forget about pain management!

One piece of advice -- if you have some left, cut the Vicodin in half. However, the ibuprofen/vicodin combination is very effective!
Unread 11-08-2004, 09:23 PM

I had a tah, and only took pain killers for the first 4 days than extra strength Tylenol for a few days. I'm doing better than ever at 5.5 weeks, I even painted my kitchen last week, and I'm going to wallpaper my neices bedroom on the weekend. LIFE IS GOOD
Unread 11-08-2004, 09:47 PM

Yup. A little over 2months out and still taking something for the pain. My Dr. put me on Celebrex due to some intestinal problems. You are not a baby. Everyone had different conditions which got us here in the first place. Take care of yourself and give yourself the time that you need.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register