scar tissue is it the same as adhesions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scar tissue is it the same as adhesions? scar tissue is it the same as adhesions?

Unread 11-09-2004, 10:59 AM
scar tissue is it the same as adhesions?

I know this forum is for sisters atleast 6 months post op, but my question seems to fit this forum better. I asked it on the post op forum and a sweet sister directed me to this one. After reading several posts on this site I am more confused than ever. So be prepared, this could be long. I had my LAVH/BSO on July 27th, due to a prolapsed uterus. I had pain from what I assumed was being caused by the prolapse. Sugery went well. I had the normal post op pain. My doctor had little to no bed side manner, and I was having some hormone problems. Anyway I have changed Doctors. I was feeling very tired, having pain on and off all day, night sweats, hot flases and it felt like more things were falling out. The new doctor is great, she tested my blood levels, found my thyroid was low, is working on getting hormones balanced, reasurred me that nothing is falling out, but.....told me pain is most likely from scar tissue. Is scar tissue the same thing as adhesions? If so, this road sounds terrible. The Dr. told me that if the pain doesn't settle down, she will need to go in and clean things up. In reading several other posts I now have some okay alot of concerns, so here goes. I have pain worse if I do alot of heavy work ie: pulling weeds, vaccuming, mopping etc., is it normal to have pain worse by the end of the day? I have pain if I sit for a while, I have pain if I stretch to hard, I have pain during sex, I now experiece pain just befor a BM, I have lower back pain, I feel like my bladder is full always, I feel like my body is literally falling apart. I am sorry to vent so long, but the three people closest to me who have had hyterectomies within months before me are not experiencing any of this. I am really starting to feel like a baby. I normally bounce back so well, I can't figure this one out. If any of you sweet sisters to could give me some insite on the pain thing I would appreciate it. Do my symptoms sound like scar tissue/adhesions? Or is this concidered a normal healing process? Any input will be so appreciated. I go back to the Dr. in a week to check my thyroid, she left the scar tissue issue up to me, to decide what I wanted to do. Thanks so much for listening. (sorry if I misspelled words, not my stronges point)

Cherri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2004, 01:01 PM

Yes adhesions are scar tissue. And, your symptoms seem to fit a pattern that could suggest adhesions.

Adhesions tie things together that should normally not be connected. The pain before a BM think may signal adhesions on your bowel. The full bladder may mean your bladder is connected by adhesions to your pelvic wall or perhaps to your bowel, etc.

I am not a doctor. I suggest writing down your symptoms. Keep a log of what happens and when and take that in to discuss with your doctor. That approach REALLY worked for me.

Best wishes and feel free to ask anything here!!!

Unread 11-09-2004, 01:49 PM

Yep-- Michelle is right on the money with her answer. Your symptoms are mine. You said that the doc left the surgery up to you----did she give you anything for the pain?
I am on very strong pain killers, but my pain was debilitating, coudln't do anything but maybe take a shower....
Let us know how you are doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2004, 08:03 PM

Hi Michelle
I had pain like yours too. I had a lapro in Sept which was to seperate suspected adhesions.I didn't have any adhearing things together. what the surgeon found was scar tissue all over my abdominal wall from prior surgeries.He wondered if I had endo. when my dr. did the hyst, which I didn't. He said it may be sore forever. Not good news. During my hyst my Gyn found my uterus and bladder stuck together and to the abdominal wall. I did have my gallbladder removed when the surgeon found no adhesions. My gb had adhesions all over it.It was very inflamed and had stones in it.
Please press your dr. to give you some answers. You deserve it.
Peggy
Unread 11-10-2004, 07:51 AM

Thank you for your responses. I am currently not taking any pain meds. Pain is tolerable most days. It is just there all the time. That is why I am hesitant to have surgery, because it sounds as if it will only get worse. If I decide to have surgery, what is the normal down time? Thanks again, this site has given me peace of mind.

Cherri
Unread 11-10-2004, 08:37 AM

both of my adhesion surgeries were laparotomy (open) using the same incision as my hyst. , so I was out for 6 weeks. i am still out as a matter of fact because my adhesions came back 4 weeks after this last surgery and much worse. But I have to tell you some people do very well with their first adhesion surgery, I am just not that lucky. They even used seprafilm this last time, but I have been doing some research and it showed that seprafilm will help the initial adhesions from forming, but not repeated ones that much.
Unread 11-10-2004, 01:45 PM

Marion

Thanks for your help. I have no idea what type of procedure she would be doing. Right now it is pretty much my decision when I have it done. I can function with the pain during the day but by night I am hurting pretty bad. Then there is the whole insurance thing. If I don't want to pay a new deductable I would need to have the procedure done before the end of the year. Pretty confused I must say.

Cherri
Unread 11-10-2004, 05:09 PM

What is sad, is this is the second year in a row, where I get a letter from my insurance company saying that I have been charged up to my out of pocket expense, so that I dont' have to pay any copays the rest of this year. It is a good thing they don't go by how much you pay that year..LOL
The policy we had last year was we had to pay 20% of the total bills, and I had 4 surgeries last year. Needless to say, they will be getting their 40/month til I die..LOL
Just make sure that you are making the right decision for you, not because you won't have to pay deductable.
I have said it before, unless by bowel becomes obstructed, I think it will be a cold day in heck before I let them do surgery again.
Unread 11-10-2004, 07:01 PM

absolutly,
i had a hysterctomy done in december of 2003 and another lap,done in august of this year and i was told i have Fibrosis,it's scar tissue!! and she said it can be very painful and i have noticed the pain is very similar to adheshion pain.. when i sit,pull,strech ect.... this road seems long,but with the help of this website it's been very helpful. hang in there hopefuly your Dr. with get to te bottom of things for you!!
Good Luck take care
Unread 11-12-2004, 09:43 AM

Hi, Cheri.

I do concur with all of the other sisters that your symptoms certainly correspond with the symtoms of adhesions. However, you are still fairly early in the healing process. It's possible that you might find your pain getst better over time - - remember, it takes a good year to heal from a hysterectomy. I can tell you that, even though my adhesions were present very early on, my pain now is significantly different (not necessarily better, but certainly different) than the pain I was feeling when I was as far out from my surgery as you. Unless you feel an urgent acute sense of new pain, you may want to give it a while longer so you can clearly differentiate between what is just delayed healing pain and what could be adhesions. In the meantime, I think keeping a log of your symptoms is a great idea. Hugs!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register