new to Hyster Sisters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new to Hyster Sisters new to Hyster Sisters

Unread 01-02-2001, 07:14 AM
new to Hyster Sisters

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum. I'm 45 years old and just had a TAH and my right ovary removed on 12/28/00. I am home now. my stay and the hospital was well. my process was better than expected. I am havin good bowel movements, and taking one day at a time. My doctor told me before I left the hospital I can take a bath in a day or two to take the tape off which is covering my stiches. I getting a lot support from family and friends.....but now I need the support from the sisters who are going though the same thing I am going though now.....I am very afraid...but I know it's going to be all right....I have heard stories which I know if I get the facts and get educated....then I can move on and and recover with out fear...Please I can use all the help and support from the sisters....
Love
Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2001, 08:09 AM
new to Hyster Sisters

Hello Cindy!

Welcome to HysterSisters. You have come to the right place for support and understanding. We will be here to lend an "ear" and help you understand what you are going through. Any time you have a question, please post it! You will be amazed at the amount of support and love these wonderful women have to offer.
Unread 01-02-2001, 09:20 AM
new to Hyster Sisters

Hi Cindy,

I had a TAH on 12/7/00 due to a large fibroid. I am recovering well, but it is a slow process and you must take it REAL EASY the first few weeks. Lay down and REST, REST, REST. I was surprised your DR said you could take a bath. Could he have meant shower? BTW, my tape stayed over my incision for a full 2 weeks after I left hospital. The doctor removed them at my 2 week visit. I felt there was less chance of incision opening with them on. I also used a blow dryer (on cool setting) after showering to make sure they stayed dry. This was suggested on an info sheet the hospital gave me. Whatever stories you have heard that are causing your fears, be sure to post a thread and ask about them. There's no sense in letting fears get the best of you. It's very important to rest and it's very easy to overdo. It seems like most everyone finds out how easy it is to overdo and then learns the importance of resting. I did. This is a wonderful website and I'm sure you will find answers and comfort here.

Hugs to you,

Ellen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2001, 09:35 AM
new to Hyster Sisters

Cindy - Hello and welcome. I had tah/bso 3/22 and only took showers for several weeks because of bath restriction. Gyn. are sure different with what they tell us aren't they???? However, I'd hesitate to take bath this early in your recovery. I left my steri strips on for 3 weeks...started taking them off in the shower one or two at a time. I kept an eye on my incision and it just didn't seem healed up enough to take them off any earlier. I didn't want incision to separate thus leaving larger scar. As long as incision is kept clean...there's just no rush.

We're here for you...ask any question you'd like.
Unread 01-02-2001, 10:34 AM
Welcome

Cindy,
I had a TAH on 12/12/00 and found this web site last week. I found lots of helpful info here. Just a word of advice...if you start to feel constipated...don't strain...use liquid milk of magnesium or prune juice and/or stool softeners. I had a real problem with constipation and was panicking. I think the pain medicine was causing it. Just be sure to take steps if you even think you're getting constipated.

TamKay
TAH 12/12/00

Unread 01-02-2001, 12:47 PM
new to Hyster Sisters

My favorite thing about this site is that you can ask any question and get several answers.I had a bladder lift but was having a leakage problem,I had called
the doctor with problems and really didn't want to bother him but I was concerned.I posted and got several funny responses about people having embarressing leaking and the fact that they could laugh about it made me laugh.The bladder was bruised and would tighten as it healed.I am 11 weeks out and it is alot better.ANY question you have will be answered with humor,love and concern.Good Luck!!!
Unread 01-02-2001, 04:48 PM
THANK YOU

Hi to all the sisters who have responded....and thank you for you kind words and suggestions.....I do have a question about sex that is one of my fears.....I know it may sound dumb.... but I have mention to someone about what type of surgery I had and they said, oh you wont be able to have sex anymore..I really felt bad......I know it will be awhile before I do have sex....Please help me get though this.....
Love to all the sisters
Cindy
[email protected]
Unread 01-02-2001, 10:07 PM
welcome

Hi Cindy. Like the other ladies, I would like to welcome you the the site. There are no dumb or stupid questions here. As for the sex question, well each of us is different, but I don't think your sex life has ended just because you had a hysterectomy. Mine and many other lady's have not! Just take it easy until you get the go ahead from your doctor. The bath puzzles me, because I too was restricted from bathing for the first couple of weeks until internal healing was more progressed. My doc gave me the guideline of "when there is no more pinkish discharge, it is OK to take a bath." As for the steri-strips, mine came off one at a time, as they started to peel or itch. I wasn't in a big hurry. Best of luck with your healing and recovery.
Unread 01-02-2001, 10:18 PM
no more sex?

Unless you had a very freakish surgery removing your vagina, you had the same surgery I did, except that I had both ovaries out. And contrary to what the person told you, I just had sex... GOOD sex. Everything worked, and my orgasms are now better than before, cause they dont hurt.

So don't you worry about that one...

As for bathing and steri-strips... I was given the goahead for baths as soon as I got home. My steri-strips only stayed on about 3 days... the nurse told me to put antibiotic salve on them... and sure enough, the goop made them all slip off. Not a big thing...

Also, regarding the incision opening up and leaving a bigger scar? Not a problem... mine had a little gap (about an inch) due to a collection of blood serum (or some such, the doc said). A bit of peroxide once a day, keeping it relatively dry, and some of the anti-biotic salve and it dried right out, and looking at it now, you cant tell where it was. So really, it's not that big a deal if a small section opens up.

Nae

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register