Great Castle Experience and 1 week Post-Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Great Castle Experience and 1 week Post-Op Great Castle Experience and 1 week Post-Op

Unread 11-10-2004, 09:09 PM
Great Castle Experience and 1 week Post-Op

I'm Droopy no longer!

Hi friends, I'm one of the lucky ones who got what I went in for. I had a TVH with bladder repair and sling. I asked the doctor to only take the ovaries if there was a real good reason to. She said the ovaries and tubes looked healthy and the uterus was small so everything came out just fine. Since I was only going in because of Uterine and Bladder Prolapse, I didn't feel comfortable letting them take my ovaries and go into instant menopause. Even though I'm 48 yrs old. I want to take advantage of the few good years I have left in them.

I had the best castle experience yet! I love the hospital, staff and doctors. They all took excellent care of me.

I went in 6 am 11/3 for a 7:30 am surgery. I thought I would have been nervous but instead I had faith in the nurses and doctors and of course God to get the job done right.

I made sure they knew I'd been sick waking up in previous surgeries because I heard they can slip something into your IV so you don't get sick. And it worked!

Fortunately, just after arriving in the OR I was put under. The next thing I remember is waking up in my room. Wonderful! I could tell right away the difference between a TVH and a TAH. I didn't feel that bad. Of course I slept and pressed my pain med. button when I was awake just to be sure I wouldn't feel too much. (You can request the button before your surgery)

Because of the bladder work, I had a super pubic tube inserted into my bladder to empty out into a bag. That was only for the day and night of the surgery. The next morning I started going to the bathroom myself and only kept the tube in for residual urine to be emptied and measured until my bladder was able to work sufficiently on it's own.

That morning after the surgery, my Urologists actually said he was so impressed with my progress that I could go home that day if I wanted to. I think I stuttered something like I had a bunch of kids at home and didn't think I would get the kind of rest I would need. After the doctor left the nurse quietly said to me, let him go through what I did and see if he would want to go home the morning after surgery.

I actually left the following day (Friday 11/5) with the super pubic tube as expected but only until Monday when I had it removed by a nurse in their office. That was not a big deal either.

I'm doing very well. Too well at first, it was hard to remember that I had surgery. But my hystersister friends have said to rest, drink lots of water and walk. My days have varied from moderately tired to zombie like tired. So then I cut back and rest more.

I've enjoyed having a slower lifestyle (though as temporary as it is) sort of vacation time off from work. (I'm a stay-at-home mom of 4 and homeschools my 2 younger ones.) I'm trying to turn to my husband and kids who have been great through all of it while I can for help.

Thank you all for your support and God Bless,
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2004, 02:53 AM

It is nice to hear that you have a good experience at the "castle" and that your recovery is going well. I am at 7 weeks and back to work so the time does go by fast. I had an LAVH and the first two weeks were the longest. It is hard to remind myself still that I had major surgery too. I hope you continue to do well. Take care.
Unread 11-11-2004, 08:43 AM

I have a question for you if you dont mind. I also had TVH for prolapse and before surgery I had quite a "bulge" in the vaginal area. I thought that after the surgery it would be gone but I think it looks exactly the same. My Doc thought he might do some pelvic repair work at the time of the Hyst. but he decided not to.
Anyway, my question to you is did you notice any difference after the surgery in the way the vag. area looks? (sorry if this is too personal)
Thanks
B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2004, 09:24 AM

(((((((Debbie)))))) I am so glad things went well for you!! And good for you for asking for help from your family!! Many of us here I think try to do everything and not ask. Keep resting as much as possible, and drink your water, little walks and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!

Hugs to you
Kat
Unread 11-11-2004, 11:31 AM

Hi Debbie, It's great to hear that you had a good experience at the castle. That is wonderful. I also can relate to a good surgery and recovery. I'm in my third week of post op and still feel great. (better each day) Just make sure you rest and don't overdo anything. I learned that lesson by thinking I could the floors. (big mistake) rest, drink lots and water and relax your way through recovery.
bless wishes,
denise
Unread 11-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Reply to Shark1962's Question

Hi B,
Please ask anything you like. I was hoping I can be helpful to someone through this website as I've have received so much information that has helped me through my ordeal.

It's funny you ask me today about what was formally referred to as my "blob". This was the first day I was conscious of it not being there. I mean there's an empty feeling like I lost something as in a feeling of more room between my thighs.

I'm still not sure if my "blob" was caused by the uterus and cervix coming out or the bladder. I'll get a better understanding at my 2 week appointments with the Gyne and Urologist.

Of out curiosity, a few days after the surgery I took a mirror to see the new and improved me. I'm happy to say there is no more blob.

I'm sure you will pursue this with your doctor to better understand where you are at in your recovery and what to expect in the future.

I will let you know what my doctors say after my appointments next week.

Take Care,
Debbie

11/3/04 tvh and bladder sling due to prolapse
Unread 11-11-2004, 01:00 PM
So happy for you!

Debbie, I'm SO happy to hear how positive your experience was! I'm also a week out, from an LAVH with LSO (got to keep one ovary, thank goodness!), and like you, my experience at the hospital was wonderful and I feel really good now!

They say that the hospital here is very expensive (as is everything where I live), but let me tell you it's because the care you receive there is top notch! And my surgeon did such a wonderful job, she must have been so gentle. I've seen posts about bladder problems from women who didn't even have any problems before they went in, and even though my surgeon had to peel some endo off mine I have had no problems. Honestly, the sorest part of me after surgery was my poor little bellybutton!

You be sure and rest rest REST! Since I feel so good, I'm having a hard time remembering that I'm healing and that just because I feel like I could do the dishes, that doesn't mean I should. From what I understand, we're going to be healing inside for several more weeks - so make sure your hubby and kids know that for all the times you took care of them, now it's their turn to take care of you.

I'll be sending happy thoughts your way!
Anneliese
Unread 11-11-2004, 06:11 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience - I'm coming up on 1-week pre-op - taking more looks at the post-op posts to understand & better prepare. 1st time for surgery & appreciating the wisdom of those who go before me!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register