3 weeks post-op - Peace and quiet! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 weeks post-op - Peace and quiet! 3 weeks post-op - Peace and quiet!

Unread 11-11-2004, 06:34 AM
3 weeks post-op - Peace and quiet!

Actually, 3 weeks and 2 days since my TAH...

I went shopping yesterday and out to lunch, and other than a rest outside on the bench in front of the smelly candle store (PEW) while my friend browsed around inside, no need to sit down for very long. It helps to have someone to carry your shopping bags and drive - less stressful on the body!

People have been asking if I'm going crazy at home, to which I say, "No, I'm really good at doing nothing!" and proud of it. I hope that all you ladies who are lamenting the fact that you have to slow down for a few weeks out of your lives will treasure the time you have and allow yourselves the joy of unscheduled peace and quiet.

It's gonna be a culture shock once I go back to work, but at least I'm a part-timer with pretty flexible hours (have finally arrived at the perfect working mother nirvana). I want to return to the "grind" with a few things I've gained from this experience:

1) I am loved, according to all the cards, favors and phone calls
2) a few hours without the TV, radio, and cell phone restores sanity
3) the house really will get clean if you do one room each day (leave the heavy stuff to the kids and dh)
4) thank God for my health and family - it's what really matters underneath it all

I wish everyone a smooth, stress-free recovery - and a new attitude about taking care of ourselves! We're worth it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2004, 06:48 AM
nice to hear

What a wonderful post! Thanks for sharing the insights. Isn't it amazing that if we sit still and be quiet we can find out a lot about ourselves and what is important!

Happy Healing
Unread 11-11-2004, 07:02 AM

I am like you! I excell at doing nothing! I love being at home and not having to do anything but read, or play on the computer. I can sit and think for an hour and not feel bored. Its such a great feeling...the dust and clutter just don't bother me. I wish this bliss for all my sisters here... the house will be clean again...but right now, I am more important than a clean house!

Thanks for your post! We have much to be thankful for, and it is a good idea to focus on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2004, 07:57 AM
Thank you

for such a beautiful post. You are absolutley correct.
If there is one thing I have learned from this surgery, is to step back and really look and listen, listen to what the body tells you about your recovery, listen to the signs of fatigue, and rest. I have discovered more about myself in these past few months that sometimes it scares me. I have had some time to reflect and put alot of things that are going on in my life right now into perspective. We must do these things, I think it is an important part of the healing process. It has been a difficult journey for me, but one with many surprises and benifits as well.
I wish all my sisters speed in healing and uncomplicated recoveries.
hugs, snickers
Unread 11-11-2004, 08:16 AM

Hi Lucky,
8 weeks ago I would have read that and thought whatever!! It is amazing how much this surgery can change a person.

When my baby was 3 I went back to school and was a stay at home mom. As he got more active in school and I started working again, it seemed the 'thing to do'! Now, as I sit here, no job, going back to school, I am so excited that I can. My son no longer needs me or so he thinks, but in my opinion, the teen years he needs me more than ever!

And I need to know that my life has purpose and meaning. Now for some stupid reason it seems more clear to me that I need to go back to school to get that purpose. Sadly my son wont be here forever to give me what I need, the feelings of being needed, loved, and being able to help.

As for the house being cleaned, well, if you saw mine you would not say that!!!

Hugs and take care
Kat
Unread 11-17-2004, 08:58 AM

Hi, again -

Thanks for all your responses. It's been 4 weeks now and I'm still enjoying the Peace and Quiet. I hope I don't go insane when I return to work. One of my designer pals is coming over tomorrow for lunch, and I'm sure she'll fill me in on all the office "gossip" and complaints about all the salespeople, workload, etc.

After my 4 week "sabbatical", my attitude toward it all will be, "I don't care! Who gives a flying rat's butt?!"

There are far more important things in life than getting all stressed out and wrapped up in all that petty office stuff. I've got to figure out a way to maintain a great outlook. The time I spend around the house with the TV off has been priceless. You can be sure I will be donning my headphones so I can tune out the noise when I get back to my computer!

Of course, I'm looking forward to all the "welcome back" hugs, and I appreciate that I'm needed, but "no, thanks" will be used more often in my vocabulary, so that I can make some time for ME.

Ahh - time for my nap!!
Unread 11-17-2004, 09:03 AM

Hope you enjoy your nap!
I have said this before. This surgery is a life altering surgery. You have nothing but time on your hands as you recover. You learn a lot about yourself and what and who is important to you.

Remember when you were getting ready to graduate high school and you knew college was next but you wish you could have had time to "find yourself"? (my experience anyway)
Well, now you are finding yourself.
I have read so many posts from other sisters who have made changes in their lives because now they have the time to reflect on those things. I think that everyone should have 4-6 weeks off every 5 years to do some life rearranging. What ya think?
Unread 11-17-2004, 09:16 AM

Actually, I am taking the 7 week off, 3 weeks on, and then the week between Christmas and New Years off approach!

I could really get used to this staying at home thing! (Don't tell my DH!!)

Next year I really WILL take a few days off and get some WORK done around here - can't clean that basement yet, but when I'm ready, look out! I never thought I'd actually look forward to doing some heavy housework! (We always want what we can't have...!)
Unread 11-17-2004, 09:21 AM

Hello ladies!

I have worked since I was 12. My first job was bussing tables at a local resturant. I worked full time during the summers from that point on, and when in college worked 15 hours a week on campus to pay for school and 40 hours a week off campus. During law school, although it was frowned upon, I worked full time. I have never had more than a week off from work at a time... til NOW! At 45, single mom with three kids, ages 5, 12 and 14... I am not working due to this recovery period.

I am just at the three week mark, and although there are times when I am going crazy... not being at work, not feeling as though I have a purpose... (business wise... I have always thought being a lawyer is not what I do, it's what I am) I too have used this time to do some intospection.

I have decided... I am going to come home early two days a week and be here when my kids get off the bus..(my 12 yearl old came in the other day from the bus, sat on the couch beside me and put his head on my shoulder and said... "mom, I love you being home when we get home."

I have decided... I am going to look at the blue sky more, and marvel at its beauty...

Well, you get the picture...

Michele
Unread 11-17-2004, 09:31 AM

Hi Ladies,
I believe God has reason why we need to recuperate for so long...It gives us time to BE the new us, to enjoy ourselves and what we do, who we are, and why we are here. Everyone, including those without kids, really need to stop and figure out how to get the most out of our lives. I strongly believe many people need to stop, take some time, even those who dont have surgery, and just heal, mind, body and soul. I watch these people, my ex boss is a perfect example, who just run, and work and run....They get so involved in external life, they forget there is an internal life they need to heal every once in awhile. I used to think that the people who run all the time are running from something. Then I was running all the time. Now I know it is true, and that they are running so they don't feel, they dont have time to BE....It's hard some days to sit with the ghosts, but it is a good time to exorcise them also....

Hugs to you....
KAt

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register