Never got to be a princess! Went back to full-time life ASAP! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Never got to be a princess!   Went back to full-time life ASAP! Never got to be a princess! Went back to full-time life ASAP!

Unread 11-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Never got to be a princess! Went back to full-time life ASAP!

Hello Sisters!

Please don't interpret this post as being whiny or complaining. I just need to vent.....................

Is it just me, or did anybody else jump back into "regular life" very soon after post-op? I had a TVH and was back at work nearly full-time at 2 weeks post op. I have 4 children under the age of 11. My hubby nor my children ever did a load of laundry for our family. Granted, I never carried a full basket of laundry down the stairs - I found that if I looped my robe belt around a loop of the laundry basket then I could pull the basket down two flights of stairs. My church family provided 5 evening meals for us right after I left the castle, which was heaven!! My hubby and my kids kissed me every day and told me how much they loved me - but they never once offered to take my responsibilities. Never for one moment after my surgery have I felt like a princess.

Today's economy in the US is horrid, to say the very least. Both my hubby and I work for non-profit organizations and so for the past 2 YEARS neither of us has gotten a raise. IT'S so difficult to raise a family of 4 children on a limited income ............. The option of taking 4 weeks off of work after my surgery, let alone 6 weeks, was never an option - AT ALL!!!

Any sisters out there who never ever had a chance to feel like a princess????

Love, peace and blessings to all!!
Kimberly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Hello

I had my hyst in Jan,2004. I was in the hospital for 5 days, then came home to wonderful husband and my 2 loving sons one and a half and three and a half. Felt pretty cruddy due to my 28 staples vertically and tired, but I guess I do have to say I'm very very fortunate that my husband is a very hands on father, does laundry, cleans and is a better cook than I am. Hes also kind and sensative and always treats me like a princess. It did although take me the full six weeks before lifting the kids and getting back to my regular routine of chaos. best wishes, carol
Unread 11-11-2004, 12:17 PM

Kimberly,

I went back to work part-time after 1 week, and full-time after 3 weeks. I did everything. Getting any part of my family do something was like pulling teeth. I look good on the outside, so mom is OK. I had dinner brought to us twice, by my coworkers.

I really liked your idea on how you dragged your laundry basket. I made my girls and BF carry it. They did it, but I had to pull out their teeth or rip off an arm.

I never felt like a princess either, but oh well!! At least my surgery went good.

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2004, 01:12 PM

Hi. I never had a chance to be a princess either. I was back to work full time after two weeks. It wasn't until about a week ago ( at 7 weeks post op) that I realized how jealous and sad I was that I didn't get to relax like so many ladies on here do. I, too had no choice in the matter. I had to go back. So many ladies are so fortunate to be able to take the time to recover. Take care and relax whenever you can! You are in my thoughts and prayers! Hang in there!
Pattigo
Unread 11-11-2004, 01:43 PM

Oh believe me---I couldn't afford to recover 6 weeks each surgery I had like that whichhas been 3 in the past year, but I did. My health is more important than money. Yes losing my income has hurt us tremendously to the point where we will probably have to use bankruptcy. But my DH never questioned my return to work, at one point he worked an extra job to help out. /Don't let anyone make it sound like the only way to recover is if you have money, that is a bunch of bull. You need to take care of you first, what if you over did it and ended up in worse shape than if you stayed home to begin with.?! I can't believe that if you were supposed to recover 6 weeks, that your doc gave you letter to return to work in less than 2.
Unread 11-11-2004, 01:46 PM

Thanks, ladies......

As always it's nice to know I'm not alone. I'm feeling sorry for myself today because the school nurse called this morning and child #3 is sick. All of my sick days were used up prior to, during and post, my surgery. Of course, a sick child always takes priority and I retrieved him from school instantly. Well, guess what? Today I have a headache and am feeling twinges and pulls in my left side - no big deal, just wish I could take the afternoon off and sleep - which is not an option for me. So, luckily, my son stayed with me at work for a couple of hours this morning (and I am grateful for the benefit of occasionally bringing kids to work!!) My DH is now at home with him. I left the two of them to come back to work - they were eating Goldfish crackers, drinking 7-UP, and playing Connect Four, while Shrek was on the dvd in the background. DH works for the (US) government and today is a paid day off for him - Veteran's Day.

I guess I am jealous and feeling pretty pathetic right now ............................. I had a wonderful recovery from surgery and wouldn't trade that for anything. DH and kids were so very good to me. Maybe I should have asked for more help when I really needed it - pride got in my way and wouldn't let me.

Well, no pride today, I really am wishing I had gotten one whole day during my recovery to be a couch potato. But no, I had laundry and dishes to do, regardless if the family said they would do it all when they got home.

((((((Self pity party - wearing no princess crown!!))))))

Kimberly
Unread 11-11-2004, 02:04 PM

marian,

I know you are right, money should not be a factor, but it is.......

I go in for my 6 week checkup tomorrow. My dr. knew that I went back to work at 2 weeks, even though he didn't like it. (luckily I have a desk job) I'm no different than thousands/millions of other working women - we just keep going because we have to.

Best wishes to all my sisters!!!
Unread 11-11-2004, 02:10 PM

Hey Chickadee,
If DH is home today - call and ask if he would please do you a favor and put on a load of laundry. Let him know that you are feeling pain, and that it would be greatly appreciated. Also ask him if he can fend with the kids tonight, as you are sure that when you get home, you are going to go straight to bed. I'm sure he will, if you ask him.

After six days, I was driving my son to school and back, laundry, cooking, and some light cleaning. But, then, besides DS, I'm the only one..... back to work at week three because of vacation (we have a "pool" of vacation hours, from which holidays and vacation and sick leave come out. I had to make sure to leave just enough for Thanksgiving and Christmas.)
Unread 11-11-2004, 02:16 PM

I guess I just look at it differently because of everything I have been through this past year...I certainly didn't want to take any chances. You also had a TVH which is a little diff in recovery time from what I have read here on the posts.
I refused to do most things while recovering :dishes, laundry, meals. the only time I did meals was when hubby had second job, but then it was very simple meals. Believe me, I don't consider myself lucky that I stayed home that long, like I said, it has its price, but so does my health.
Like I said, maybe I have a different outlook because of all the problems and surgeries I have had.
Kudos to those who made it back to work, but man would I love to talk to those hubbies who didn't do anything to help...LOL
Unread 11-11-2004, 02:38 PM

((((( Crawling out of self pity party!)))))

Thank you all - I think I surfaced out of the little hole I'd dug myself in.

I feel so much that I want to defend my DH. He was awesome and he still is awesome! I was the one who felt the need to climb into the red, white & blue strapless spandex outfit with the lasso and the 3' wide brass bracelets - (I'm making a reference to Wonder Woman in case you all are wondering what I'm talking about!!)

I'm blessed and I know it. I have a wonderful resource in my own family if I'd just choose to use it. But, heaven forbid! Does that make me human???? (As for the TVH recovery versus the TAH recovery, I agree that I had an easier time. I've always tried to be very candid that my heart goes out to the sufferers of swelly belly! I still ended up with 477 stitches inside - give or take 5 stitches, according to the surgeon's nurse.)

And NW Lady, I will call and ask DH to put that laundry in, and I know he will be happy to do it! - after all at least 1/3 of it is his boxer shorts anyway! hahahahaha!

XOXOXOXO to all!
Kimberly

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register