Aches & pains at 4 weeks post op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Aches & pains at 4 weeks post op? Aches & pains at 4 weeks post op?

Unread 01-02-2001, 05:59 PM
Aches & pains at 4 weeks post op?

I had a LAVH on Dec 5th. Wasn't feeling TOO bad with all the aches and "normal" pains of major surgery. But just recently started having pains on both sides of lower abdomen. They almost feel like something is pulling. They can get really intense and hit me from out of the blue. I was thought to believe I really should start feeling a lot better by now. Am still extremely tired by the end of the day without really doing anything. At my 2nd week post-op dr didnt do an internal exam because I was still in alot of pain. Still havent gone back to work yet. BM's still arent regular, have to take something whenever I feel too much pressure. What in the heck is going on? Any advice to maybe call dr? Thanks for all your help.
Debbie
LAVH/Dec 5th
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2001, 06:31 PM

I had a TVH on Dec. 5th and am noticing more pulling pains on each side of my abdomen--also I am seeing stitches come out. I am assuming that as the stitches dissolve, there is more pressure on the muscles and ligaments or whatever is down there to hold everything together. My pain is not severe in the least, but it is quite noticeable.

I am not as tired as I was, but clearly am not up to the old self yet. I hate to say it, but I think this is all normal; it just takes time to heal.

I do feel much better if I get some rest (it is hard to rest with two kids on winter break, though, but I am trying).

Do you feel better if you are off your feet for a while ?

I also periodically am getting the lower back pain. I think it is when I really need to lie down.

I have not driven yet, but hope to do so later in the week; I have to take my daughter to the allergy doctor for her shot. If I don't think I can hack driving, my DH will drive and I will be a passenger so I can hold her hand when she gets the shot. Have you driven yet ?

If the pain gets worse, I would call the doctor. When do you go back ? I don't go until Jan. 15th. I had an appt a couple of weeks ago when I thought I had a bladder infection. Turns out it was spasms (which are still there, but not as bad).

Hang in there.

Unread 01-02-2001, 06:51 PM

Hi Debbie,

Feel free to call your Dr. for your own peace of mind, but it seems pretty normal to me. You have had MAJOR surgery, and because anesthesia takes awhile to leave your body, hyst patients often "feel" their surgery a lot more a few weeks into recovery...so, yes, you can feel worse before you feel better.

Also, as stitches have been dissolving, weakened tissues are trying to do their old job, and it just plain hurts!

There has been much more work done inside you than you may realize. Loads of stitches. Please take this as a cue from your body to get extra rest with your feet UP! Sitting is an ACTIVITY. Prolonged sitting puts undue pressure on your internal stitches and can cause swelling and soreness.

Also, when your bowel habits are more regular, you'll feel lots better. Are you taking a stool softener? If not, I'd try taking them every day for awhile until you are "regular". For me, it made a big difference!

Try to continue resting with your feet UP! The initial recovery period is 6-8 weeks...total healing takes at least 6 months.

My very best to you...

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2001, 08:05 PM

Thanks to all of you Hyster Sisters wjo have been there that can giveus all advice. I've never had surgery before so dont know what to expect. I've called my dr a few times about some things but dont want to seem like a baby. Just thought I'd feel better sooner. But it has only been 4 weeks.I started driving short distances last Wednesday and maybe over did it. But it felt good to get out of the house. I felt a little more independent. But if this is what happens, it wasnt worth it. I think I'll callmy dr tomorrow just to be sure. My next post-op appt isnt until Jan 9th.
Thanks again for all your concern. This website is priceless
Debbie
LAVH/ Dec 5th
[Edited by Debbie1 on 01-02-2001]
Unread 01-02-2001, 08:19 PM

I agree-- I could not imagine what I would do without this website. It has been a wealth of information, support, help, sanity.

Take it easy and feel better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register