Right sided pain - not IBS - so what eek!? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Right sided pain - not IBS - so what eek!? Right sided pain - not IBS - so what eek!?

Unread 11-13-2004, 01:15 PM
Right sided pain - not IBS - so what eek!?

Hello Sisters, long time no post. But actually have a bit of time to spare so thought I would add a post and see if anyone can share thoughts. I have been getting a lot of stabbing searing pains in my right side just about where my appendix scar is. My gynae man said it sounded like IBS and recommended me to a gastrologist who confirmed he thought it was too. So I had a colonoscopy on Wednesday and boy was it painful in places. He found inflammation, granulation and eyrthema near the caecum part of my colon and has taken loads of samples for biopsies. He said as there is inflammation there it is not IBS but it could be Crohns disease. Oh goody! I now have to wait a week and a half for another appointment to see him for the results. I am a little worried to say the least about this for two reasons. One it could mean more operations and two maybe a lot of my pain was caused by this condition rather than all the other bits and pieces I have had removed over the past few years?!! If it isnt Crohns causing the inflammation (this has been a niggling pain for a considerable time but not this bad only getting worse after the hyst) what could it be? I also get bad right groin pain and if I sit for a while it feels like a lump there. There do not appear to be any extra adhesions after the hyst thankfully but it does seem as I get rid of one health problem another one appears!
Has anyone any advice they can give me? If it wasnt for this pain which can be very severe, the bouts of constipation and feeling like things are not going through properly like a blockage (although after tuesdays bowel prep things havent been as bad there but the pain is still there and even a bit worse now), I would be feeling pretty good.

Hugs and stuff and sorry for not posting before but my lifestyle doesnt lend itself to much free time any more boo hoo!!!

Looby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2004, 03:00 PM

Looby,
I'm sorry you are still having problems. I do know the feeling. If it is Crohn's disease, from what I've read they can control it with medication, surgery is only used as a very last resort, so maybe you are not looking at another surgery.

When it comes to stomach problems, there are many things that could be causing the problems. I've had all the tests, most of them twice, and some of them three. The tests are a necessary step to try and find the cause and hopefully cure.

Good luck! I hope you find some answers.
Unread 11-13-2004, 04:46 PM

Thanks Kim!

I know it sounds daft but the fact that they found something even if it is just inflammation makes me feel better in a way that I wasnt just imagining the pain. I had the same feeling that they thought I was making the pain up a couple of years ago when I had bad sore throat pain and couldnt eat properly for months. They said nothing there but when the consultant took out my tonsils he found a huge abcess behind it making me ill and had to cut away far more than he would usually!

I am still a bit worried though but at least we are on the right track and maybe this will sort things out again.

Wrecks r us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2004, 05:41 PM

Looby--

I am sorry that you are having to go through this. Kim is right, Crohns can be controlled with meds and diet, and surgery is last option, but it is a chronic life long disease. Also , you said you don't have adhesions...who told you this? I know my GI doc saw how the adhesions were twisting my colon when he did my scope and could barely pass the pediatric size scope throught---matter of fact, he didn't get a look at my entire colon because of it.
I hope you find out what the results of the biopsy are soon. I know that is hard, waiting.
Please let us know what happens and keep us up to date.
Good luck and good wishes!
Unread 11-14-2004, 01:50 AM

Thanks for that. The gynae man said there didnt feel that there were any adhesions there. But there was a part when the gastrologist pushed the tube and it was agony so that they had to increase the meds! Maybe the gynae was more worried that it might have been his surgery causing the problem but in fairness the pain in differing guises has been there for years but masked by the other pains!

Thanks for your concerns I will let you know what happens

Looby
Unread 11-14-2004, 05:55 PM

Hi Lyn
It was nice seeing you on the site again, but I wish it was under different circumstances.I just hope you get some real answers and treatment for anything they find wrong. We have been through way too much.I sometimes think I might be imagining symptoms, but they turn out to be for real.Gallbladder disease, rectocele, something wrong in rectum. My appt. with the colon rectal surgeon is about the same day you have your consultation.(Day before Thanksgiving).I hope we both get some good news. I will only be evaluated then by the nurses practioner, but it is a start.
I don't believe I have IBS either. The gastro dr. in Aug. labeled me with it once he didn't find anything during my colonoscopy. Of course, the other surgeon found my bad gallbladder a short time later.I feel sometimes these doctors don't take us seriously and listen to our symptoms or complaints. Who knows our bodies better than us?None of us like being poked at or operated on for nothing!We just need to feel NORMAL.
I will continue to pray for you and hope you get feeling better soon.
Just remember you are a strong, brave woman who can overcome any obstacles that are thrown at you.

Your friend from far away
Peggy
Unread 11-15-2004, 11:54 PM

Thanks Peg. I too sometimes think that its all in my head and the more you think about it the more it will happen.

I am fed up of being hampered to do things be it emotionally or physically to be honest and want to prove to myself that I can do it whatever may happen.

But it might just be because I woke up feeling that way, the pain is still there, not helped by the fact I slipped over in the garden sunday, luckily my poor back doesnt seem to have suffered too badly - so far!

I am not going to take Laculose for a few days and see if I can get the bowel doing its thing normally but as it seems to make the pain worse, I am not sure if its a good thing or not.

Good luck with your appointment, you are a strong lady too, its just that we dont always realise that the strength comes from within ourselves and not others! Coo thats a bit deep!

Unread 11-16-2004, 09:41 AM

Sorrythings still aren't better for you. If you are going to try to stop taking the lactulose, I would suggest, cutting it down and then every other day before you just stop. You can get rebound constipation after abruptly stopping laxatives. Please keep us updated on your recovery and pain.

I will continue to pray for you.
Unread 11-16-2004, 01:57 PM

Thanks for your concerns. It doesnt seem to make any difference whether I take it or not at the moment so I will keep going as I am for now. To top it all I seem to be having marital problems too. Stress doesnt hurt the pain but it cant be avoided at the moment. Hopefully we will sort things out soon but as I cant get DH to talk so we can resolve our differing opinions on something I will have to put up with the silent treatment. After nearly 20 years I aint giving up quite yet but its still not nice and I refuse to cave in this time.

Enough ramblings, just had enough today.

Take care folks
Lyn
Unread 11-16-2004, 02:41 PM

Sorry to hear you are having marital problems....continued health problems after the surgery is supposed to fix it , can definately put a strain on the family unit, I know from experience. You have got to find a way to get your DH to open up. There is a forum here to write a letter to DH, maybe you could try that . He could read your concerns and maybe he will feel like talking about it.

Again , I am sorry and I hope things turn around for your family.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register