I need to make an appointment with my gyn/onc, but I'm scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I need to make an appointment with my gyn/onc, but I'm scared I need to make an appointment with my gyn/onc, but I'm scared

Unread 11-15-2004, 07:06 AM
I need to make an appointment with my gyn/onc, but I'm scared

OK, I know it's not like me, but I'm coming up on my one-year mark, I'm ready for my next smear, and I'm totally paralyzed. Maybe I'm feeling like my "good luck" has run out. Maybe this is an (extrememly) delayed reaction. Through this whole ordeal, I have been moving forward, kinda like a shark--keep pushing on or die. Now, when I pick up the phone to call the doc, what I feel can only be described as fear.

What gives? Is this common? Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2004, 07:40 AM

A few days before my one year anniversary, I had a full blown panic attack. I had already been to the doctor and got my clear results. I completely fell apart for a month and went to many many doctors. I thought I had every kind of cancer. Finally, I realized that I was having panic attacks and was just emotionally dealing with everything I had been through in the past year.

So....to get back to your question-it's normal to feel scared.
Unread 11-15-2004, 07:44 AM

Hi Stella,

Like Denise said, what you are feeling is totally normal. I get nervous before every appointment with my Gyn/Onc.

Whatever you do, please do not miss your appointment. Check-ups are good for us.

Good luck,
Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Scared--you're normal

It's very normal to be scared to go to appointments--especially the anniversary type ones. Just take a deep breath, pick up the phone, blurt out you need an appointment, and when you're done, if it helps--give yourself a little treat or reward for doing it--fresh flowers, a new book, neat shower gel, etc. I get so scared at each appointment my blood pressure rises and one time the poor Dr. just set his foot in the door and I screeched, "What's the CA125? What's the CA125?" and he looked like someone had hit him with a line drive. Nerves--normal.
Unread 11-15-2004, 01:00 PM

Stella,
I felt the same way and finally told my doctor, at my 9th month checkup. I was always so scared before these appointments. For a week or two before I turned into a monster, fussing at my family, not sleeping, etc. While my doctor isn't the warm and fuzzy type, he said a couple of things that helped. First, he said that frequent appointments meant they would find things early, if at all. As we know, finding things early is better and could prevent extensive treatments later on. He would be able to 'nip in the bud' before it required anything big. Yeh, yeh, I know, that doesn't always help.

I know that the longer I am cancer free, the less chance that the cancer will return. When I was diagnosed my chances of no recurrence were 80%. After two years with no recurrence the chances go up to 97-98%! I figured that after a year, I would be about 90%. I also figured that would be something to celebrate! I planned a little celebration to follow my 1 year checkup. I planned to buy my favorite champagne, favorite cheese, and made reservations at a favorite restaurant. I didn't tell anyone about the appointment but I began to look forward to the milestone of a year, cancer free and my little celebration! Looking at the appointment as something to celebrate helped me to not be as nervous as I usually am. I was floating when I left the office! I went straight to the store to buy my goodies. When my husband came home and saw the table set with champagne, brie and pate, he had the the funniest look on his face. He thought he had forgotten something significant! I told him that I had been to the doctor, everything looked good, and we were celebrating a year out from cancer, and greatly reduced chances of recurrence. My doctor had said that a year was a 'significant' milestone. My husband was thrilled and very happy to join in the celebration!

I know it's not easy, but try to look at each appointment as a step closer to being totally cancer free. Look to the year as a milestone, to be followed by the even more significant 2 year milestone, then the 5 year mark. We're making progress!

Get on the phone, make that appointment, then think of ways to celebrate a year out from cancer!

Best,
Janie
Unread 11-15-2004, 01:56 PM

awww,I am sorry you are "freaking out". I'd imagine this is pretty normal, as the others have said. I know that I have my first post-chemo appointment in a few days and I'm a bit nervous about THAT...so I can imagine how you must be feeling nearing the one year mark. Please, call the doc and make that appointment...it's important! Can you bring a loved one or friend with you, for moral support AND another set of ears? I'm bringing my mother AND my husband to this first appointment. I want to make sure I hear everything.

you have gotten great advice from the other ladies. particularly the celebrations when that appointment is over!

Just remember, You are a strong, warrior-woman. You can do this- Have faith!

Let us know how you make out. Congratulations on this big milestone!

K9
Unread 11-15-2004, 08:16 PM

s Stella

I have a suggestion for you. Before you leave your doctors office after this upcoming visit, (I have been away and just know you have already made the appt) go ahead and schedule your next checkup before you actually leave the office.
That way you only need to gather your courage to get to the appt and not actually schedule one.
I know if I waited until it was time, I too would hesitate to make the appt. But when it is already scheduled, I am more apt to just follow through.

oxoxox karenann
Unread 11-16-2004, 08:45 AM

OMG!! I do the exact same thing....I usually make my future appts when I am leaving an appt....When I turn the calendar and see an impending appt....I get the worst feeling of dread....It is a terrible feeling....For me....it is the memory of a horrible experience (being dx) and just hating to go back to that place....It is all so irrational....It is all I think about.....I have even cancelled appts that have been scheduled and reschedule....for the following month just so I dont have to think about it....but of course it starts the next month....I go to my gyn of 20+ years for my followups.....we have great conversation about our kids, families....have always thought alot of her.....She says with each good appt...it gets easier....I sure hope so. Chris
Unread 11-16-2004, 08:59 AM

Thank you all for your encouragement. I called the doctor's office, and was told I could have an appt in JANUARY!!! Unfortunately, my health insurance premium is being raised to $1900/month, so I don't think I'll have insurance in January (sigh). The scheduler managed to squeeze me in on November 30.

I appreciate you sharing your experiences with me. I was beginning to think I was losing my mind about this; it's nice to know I'm actually in the range of normal here!

Valarie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register