Question about sex after a hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about sex after a hysterectomy Question about sex after a hysterectomy

Unread 11-17-2004, 02:50 AM
Question about sex after a hysterectomy

I didn't know where to go to get my question answered so I hope someone can direct me. I'm considering a hysterectomy as I've had several years of irregular, heavy bleeding, that seems to be getting worse. Fortunately, I don't have any pain -- it's just a huge annoyance that, frankly, I'm tired of. I'm 46 years old. My whole hesitation with having a hysterectomy is the unknown about how the quality of my orgasms will be affected after the hysterectomy (both cervix and uterus removed.) I've been told that sex improves after a hysterectomy because you don't have to worry about getting pregnant. Well, pregnancy hasn't been an issue for me since my husband's vasectomy 21 years ago, so I don't know how it could improve anymore (except not having to deal with bleeding 10-15 days out of the month.) To be honest, I'm really concerned that the INTENSITY of my orgasms will decrease. I read somewhere that the uterus does contract during orgasm. If the uterus and cervix are no longer there, wouldn't that decrease the intensity of the orgasm? Will it also take away the possibilty of "female ejaculation", which I experience and greatly enjoy on occasion. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2004, 05:25 AM

This is a good question to be asking before you have surgery.

What you need to do is to figure out "how" you sense your climax.

Do you reach it with clitoral stimulation? If so that won't change.
If you find that the vaginal stimulation is what makes you peak you may experience some changes if you have your cervix removed. (if you have no troubles with your cervix you probably won't have to have it removed).

If your orgasm is based on uterine contractions--- well, that won't happen after a hyst. If you leave the cervix you might keep "some" of that - depending on how much of the uterus above the cervix remains.

And all of the above holds if your surgery does not cause any nerve problems. -- that doesn't always happen but it can.

So... the first thing will be to diagnose where your climax comes from,... then you can start evaluating the situation for yourself.

hope that helps.
Unread 11-17-2004, 10:57 AM

Dear Sage:

Perhaps you would be a candidate for a less-invasive procedure to address the heavy bleeding, but leaving the uterus, cervix & ovaries intact? Here is a link to our Resources Directory https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...n=browse&cid=2

Be sure to check out this ablation website also: http://home.att.net/~endometrial_ablation/

Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2004, 06:06 PM

Have you considered endometrial ablation? You say you have no pain -- just irregular bleeding? The thermal balloon ablation will burn off the lining of the uterus but leave the uterus intact. The bleeding should diminish or even stop. You will still ovulate and go thru other symptoms of PMS. It's not for everyone; there are contraindications. However, you may want to look into it. There are discussion boards as well.

Good luck.

angel
Unread 11-18-2004, 11:03 PM

My dr recommended keeping cervix to maintain some support for the vagina and because some to major portion of orgasm can come from cervix. Said there is not much reason to take out cervix, since PAP smear is so good at detecting cervical cancer. I had Lap supracervical hyst July 1. No change in sex, propbably even better without constant bleeding.

Good luck to you.
Unread 11-19-2004, 01:43 PM

Hi Sagegreen,

I was 46 when I had my hyst. I had a discussion with my Dr. about keeping the cervix in pre-op. I was a candidate for a LSH and he said the cervix helps with pelvic support and it can also help with sex.

In post-op, my sex life feels great. I think for me, keeping my cervix has been an added benefit. I also no longer have the fibroid pressure I got in pre-op.

You have some good questions. Researching all the alternative methods and hyst types will help you make a good decision for yourself.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 11-22-2004, 10:20 AM

Thank you all for your replies. They're all very helpful. My gyn. says ablation won't work well because of my fibroids. Mary, I'm particularly interested in LSH because of the 1-2 week recovery time, AND I can keep the cervix. I gather that's what you had done? Do you live in the States? I live in Maine, and unfortunately, no one does that particular procedure up here. I gather it's not very common in the United States because it's sort of new and more expensive. My gynecologist had never even heard of it. Does anyone have any thoughts about LSH?? I want to keep my cervix, and so my only option, I guess, is abdominal surgery. I can't afford 6 weeks off from work!!!
Unread 11-22-2004, 10:43 AM

Hi Sagegreen,

I had my LSH in No. Nevada in more of a rural area. It wasn't a bigger city. My Dr. was trained in So. CA. As you said, the LSH surgery is not as common right now. It is a newer surgery and many Drs are still not trained in the laparoscopic procedure.

I can suggest callling your local hopistals and gyneo medical groups and asking for referrals. You could even check online. Even if you need to go out of your area for a LSH consultation, I highly recommend this surgery.

There is a LSH forum running right now (Nov. 22 ) on the pre-op board. I suggest checking it out. "Advanced Laparoscopic Hysterectomy", by Christina.

The SAH (Subtotal Abdominal Hysterectomy) retains the cervix also.

As far as expense, I did not have insurance at the time of my surgery. I paid out of pocket with my Mom's help. In my area, a LSH runs 1/2 the price of a TAH. That is due to it being a less evasive hyst and I had the surgery at an outpatient facilty so I did not incur the expense of several days in the hospital.

Best wishes. I hope you get some other LSH replies.

Mary
Unread 11-22-2004, 08:32 PM

I had lap supracervical, outpatient, back to work in 2 weeks, really could have started after 1 week but got tired easily for the extra week, so decided to take it easy. My dr said procedure was first written up in 1991 (in US) and he has been doing them since 1992.
Unread 11-29-2004, 12:38 PM

Hi Sage -- I just had to add my two cents since this topic was of MAJOR concern to me before my hyst. I had a TAH, LSO and did not keep the cervix. And everything in the sex department is great! It's even better actually -- and it has nothing to do with worrying about getting pregnant, as my tubes were tied years ago. Things seem more sensitive somehow, and the repsonse is now quicker and more intense.

I did what CAS29 suggested for you and tried to pinpoint exactly where my climax came from while I still had everything, and I thought I *diagnosed* it as coming from the uterus and was therefore worried at what I might be losing. However, as soon as I felt halfway fine, I gave things a test run so to speak and experienced the sensation from the same location as before, except there was extra intensity and feeling -- not sure how that all came about. So ....... I was either mistaken in my prior evaluations before surgery, or else there's a phantom uterus in there giving me those contracting feelings! ha ha

As far as the cervix goes, I debated with my doctor over keeping it or not (turns out it was unhealthy and needed to come out regardless). He assured me that the cervix plays a very tiny role, if any, in orgasm anyway, despite what a lot of people say to the contrary. His words to me were, "If you have a healthy and fulfulling sex life before having this surgery, then nothing will change afterwards." And he was right.

At least that's how things have worked out for me. I know everyone is different. But I thought you might like to hear a happy-ending story from someone without a cervix.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register