Question about pain medication | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about pain medication Question about pain medication

Unread 11-17-2004, 07:35 AM
Question about pain medication

Ok, I had my TAH/LSO on 11-2-04. When I was dismissed from the castle, doc gave me a script for tylox (20 pills) to be used 1-2 every 4-6 hours for pain. Well, I used them, usually 2/day and one day, I had such a severe migraine, I took 3. I called yesterday as I have already gone back to work (had to, own our own business-on Monday) to see if I could get a refill. Had I not had those tylox, that migrane felt like it could have killed me I swear-lasted 5 hours and hurt so very bad. I have a hard lump on the left side of my incision, and still have some pain. Sometimes its not horrible, but sometimes, It really hurts and tylenol isn't cutting it! I am also having spasms in my upper left thigh region, again, close to my groin, about every 30 minutes or so..doesn't hurt just irriating.

She said they need to see me today at 1:00 for the lump, as they think it may be blood or something forming. But absolutely no way will they prescribe any more pain meds for me. I should have no pain after 2 weeks! Well, I am not a drug addict looking for a fix. I guess everyone is the same and should be completely healed in 2 weeks with absolutely no pain. Must be in the handbook or something. What is wrong with these docs! I know that there are strict laws on narcotics, but this Tylox does not make me woosy, tired, sleepy or anything, it just helps relieve the pain that I "am Having, regardless of what the handbook says!!!!!!).

What in the world am I supposed to do. I just had major surgerry and I'm sorry I am still having some pain. It may be due to the fact that I am overdoing it by being back at work, have 10 dogs to take care of, a daughter who had ACL surgery this feb, and this saturday in her school Basketball game, just tore her PCL in her other knee, and I have had to be there to help her walk and she can be of no help to me now that she is on crutches!!!

Why do they think we are just junkies!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for ranting, but I hurt and I am getting no relief from over the counter tylenol, advil, motrin or asprin! Sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2004, 07:40 AM

I know you are not a junkie and who are they to say you can't have pain after 2 weeks.
Man, these docs really tick me off about this. When you go in to see him, you tell him that you need something stronger than OTC because you have tried them all. Maybe even suggest something not quite as strong as Percs and see if he will give in.
Tell him that if he can't give you any more pain meds than you will have to go to the ER because the pain is too unbearable.
STate your case, face to face. It is easier to say no over the phone.
Please let us know how your appt went . I will keep my fingers crossed for you!
Unread 11-17-2004, 01:31 PM

Marian, thanks so much for your reply and your vote of confidence that I have no become a "Junkie"!!LOL

Went to the doc today. He actually is wonderful. Checked my "lump" and he said feels like just scar tissue around the incision. Asked about bladder pain (pressure when finishing peeing). Did urine test, no infection, he said probably just from having it moved around during surgery, I guess it's attached somehow to the lower/upper uterus-can't remember which he said, but its common. Said I had no bacteria in urine, just a little blood, nothing to be concerned about. Said he never heard of the muscle spasms Im having on upper inner left thigh. I told him it does not hurt, just annoying and irritating, especially every 30 minutes or so.

I told him that I was back to work and have been. He said he's never had anyone go back to work so quick, thought everything looks fine, said he was proud of me and that I looked like everything was healing like it should. Told him I called yesterday, asked for more tylox or something for the pain and was told NO, your not supposed to have pain after 2 weeks (that's what nurse told me). He said basically, ignore that comment, that was uncalled for, and that with all I am doing, he is sure I was having some pain, and he would prescribe more Tylox for me. He suggested Alleve, try taking 2 when I get up, maybe 2 at lunchtime and 2 at bedtime. That way, it would get in my system, and then as needed take the pain meds. Whew, do I feel better. I didn't know that Nurses would make the ultimate decision like that, you know? Glad I talked "face to face" with my doc.

Thanks so much for listening!

Luv to all and so glad I'm not a Junkie!!!LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2004, 01:37 PM

Glad to hear you got some more meds.
Being a nurse myself, no we are NOT supposed to do that. There are some bad apples in the bunch I am afraid and I seemed to have them take care of me this last surgery. I never let them know I was a nurse, because i wanted to be treated like everyone else. That was a mistake. I remember whenever I was in report and they would say rm 101 is a nurse and some of my coworkers would groan..?
I would ask them what their problem was and they said, "well now we have to be on top of everything and do everything just right"
My response: "well, if you are not doing that anyway, you aren't doing your job"
I hate that some stupid people make the rest of us look bad.

Your doc had a great idea, taking the advil on a schedule and then use the percs for breakthrough pain.
Oh---and you better believe his nurse got an earful after you left today..lol
Bet she won't do that again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register