Sepsis Leads Me Back To Hospital | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sepsis Leads Me Back To Hospital Sepsis Leads Me Back To Hospital

Unread 11-17-2004, 09:26 AM
Sepsis Leads Me Back To Hospital

History: 10+ years of pelvic pain, path confirmed Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, hemorrhages, pelvic infections, Endometritis, birth complications.

Repeat resection surgeries and medical treatment led finally to LAVH in April 2004. Hematoma on suture line (vault), prolonged bleeding, leakage (not urinary system), pain leading to two more operations in August and September.

October, found varicose vein clusters on both sides of the vaginal vault upon CT Scan. Considered for embolization procedure, despite the rarity of the complications. Embolization took place on Friday.

Over the past few years I have suffered extreme reactions to any kind of instrumentation placed in my body. Even a basic gyn exam results in serious side effects and requires antibiotic treatment. This has been something of great concern for almost 3 years. No one has ever been able to eradicate this relentless bacteria, and since my Hysterectomy especially I have had ongoing complications.

It would seem there is a leak in the vaginal vault, and a system that is supposed to be closed is somehow open. This is deemed the likely site of ongoing infection and a host for bacteria. My doctors have been chasing this bacteria for the past five months, and I can truly say it has been winning.

On Saturday I was hospitalized after what was supposed to be a successful embolization, where "nothing" we were told could go wrong this time. I ended up almost loosing my life within the course of a few hours with sepsis (a life threatening infection, whereby bacteria enters the blood stream).

It truly was the most terrifying moment of my life, and the hours in the hospital challenged me in ways that I never even imagined. I was given IV antibiotics and was on high doses of Morphine as the infection raged through my entire body. My blood pressure spiked, my temperature at 103 and my heart raced at 118 beats/minute as it tried to compensate for the soaring bacteria. I am so thankful that we made it to the hospital when we did as waiting could have been fatal. I feel so immensely blessed that I am OK and that the antibiotics were given immediately and saved my life.

I was in the hospital for a few days while I was treated by IV meds and have now come home. I am so happy to be in my own bed and with the people I hold dear. My children, ages 1 and 2.5 are delighted to have me here too, even if I am a much slower Mommy than usual. The doctors say that sepsis effected my heart and all my organs, by taxing them. It will likely be a month before I am strong enough to resemble the person I was before this happened. My husband had such a scare and I see the strain that all of this has had on him, yet he is my everlasting best friend.

I am supposed to hear today about what will happen next and the direction of the surgeon responsible for my care. Another operation is likely, as we try to eliminate the possibility of this ever happening again. I continue to pray for wisdom for my doctor(s) and for comfort for all of us. We are blessed even in the midst of this very difficult time.

Blessings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2004, 09:35 AM

((((((Blessings))))))))) I was so worried about you! I am so sorry to hear you are having even more difficulties. Did they get the surgery done, and is all well? It was hard to tell from your post. Are the veins gone?

I have been praying for you and I sincerely hope this is the end of these countless medical problems for you....

Hugs sweet Blessings
Kat
Unread 11-17-2004, 10:48 AM

Blessings,

I have been thinking about you and wondering how your surgery went on Friday. I am so very sorry that you had such difficulty and I am thankful that you are now home. What a scary thing to go through. Bless your heart!

I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2004, 11:11 AM
In Reply

Thank you for your kind responses of care and kindness.

The Embolization procedure on Friday was successful by all accounts which is such a blessing.

The infection was Sepsis, a blood infection that can be fatal if not given immediate treatment with IV Antibiotics. By the time we reached the hospital every part of my body felt like it was burning and hurting. The bacteria/infection gets into the blood stream and affects every part of you. My heart was greatly taxed by the fever and is contributing to my feelings of weakness now as I recover.

The good part, and there are good parts, is that the Embolization has helped my pain. I no longer having severe pelvic pain. I no longer have the pockets of fluid that I had collected in my legs and such either, nor the heavy feeling that made it painful to walk. The vascular (vein) problem seems to be resolved and in that respect things are certainly looking up. Yeah!

And though our fears may be great as a result of what happened, my husband and I rejoice that help was there when I needed it and I survived.

The result of what followed the Embolization will take time to fully treat and recover from. No one, any doctor of mine, will even consider doing anything further until I get some of my strength back after having Sepsis. I will see the surgeon in a few days, but little will occur for some time while my body heals. I think perhaps the first thing will be to look into my blood system and do further evaluations to prevent this from ever happening again.

Thank you for your care and concern.

Blessings.
Unread 11-17-2004, 11:58 AM

Oh my Gosh, Blessings you poor dear, you really have been through the mill, poor lamb.

I wonder as your children are so very young did you have any bacterial infection you might have picked up and been 'harbouring' since childbirth? Perhaps your changing hormones and illness have enabled it to multiply and cause you trouble, just a thought.

I'm delighted you are home again, be a good princess Mk2 and rest up, I hope everything goes ahead well from this time on and you are enabled to be the loving healthy wife and mother you deserve to be.
Unread 11-17-2004, 12:16 PM

Blessings,

I am relieved to hear that you have no more pelvic pain and fluid! That is great news!

I hope and pray that you are finally on the road to a complete recovery! Please keep us posted on your progress and hopefully, the surgeon will be able to detect the cause of your life-threatening infection. I will pray that your blood work will give the answers and you never have to go through that again.

God bless you! s

Deb
Unread 11-17-2004, 01:18 PM

(((blessings)))

I am very glad to hear the surgery went well. I am however, very worried about you becoming septic.
The scary thing about sepsis is that even once you start the antibiotics it can have a horrible outcome.
You are VERY lucky and have an appropriate username, trust me!
Give your DH some reassurance that you are okay (even if you feel not okay at the moment) He had quite a scare and I am sure he continues to feel that way. He almost lost you and the children almost lost their mother. Cherish this time you have with them ( I don't think that will be an issue). Take very good care of yourself during this recovery period and make sure you finish your antibiotics! (can ya tell I am a nurse..hehe)

, gave me the chills when I saw the post for sepsis under your name. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Unread 11-17-2004, 03:05 PM

Hi Blessings
I've been thinking about you alot lately and wondered how you were doing. I am so glad you have got rid of most of the pelvic pain and fluid. You sure have had more than your share of problems. You only deserve the best.
I am sorry to hear of the infection and fright you and your DH had to go through. I am so grateful that God gave the doctors the knowledge on how to treat it.
Please rest as much as possible. It sounds like you have a wonderful DH.I know he must have been scared to death too. All of your sisters here have been so concerned about you. That lets you know how special you are to us.
May God bless you and now allow you to finally be on the road to recovery.

s and ers

Peggy
Unread 11-18-2004, 04:50 PM
Update

Now home, and settling in, I continue treatment with the Antibiotics for the rest of the week.

Monday I will return to the surgeon (GYN) but little will be done right away. I need to allow my body to recover and gain strength before any further surgery will be performed.

Going through having Septicemia has been a very personal challenge for me. It has taxed not only my physical body (my heart and other organs) but touched me deeply on an emotional level as well. My physical heart is weary as is my emotional heart. I trust it will take time to heal both.

Thank you for caring about me and my journey. It is a great gift to share the trials and triumphs of life with another.

Blessings
Unread 11-23-2004, 11:14 AM

Dear Blessings,

So sorry to hear all that you've been through. So GLAD to hear that the embolization has worked! I'm sure time and healing will even bring about better and better results. My dear friend has been a living, walking miracle....for many years....she has had life threatening challenges but has lived a wonderful, happy productive life in spite of it all. I say this because she has had battles with sepsis numerous times over the past 18 years. (She has a constant and ongoing disorder that lends itself to allowing infection/bacteria into her body>) Each and every time we pray and hold our breath. I just want you to know that you WILL get your strength back both physical and emotional. It IS a very serious, scary, life changing experience....but oh Honey, life is and will be all the sweeter.
Thank you for posting, thank you for continuing to be a "Blessing"! I know you've already celebrated THanksgiving...but just the same...we'll be Thanking God for your recovery and continue to pray that he strenghten, guide, heal and support, not just you but your loved ones as well!

Rest, rest, rest, and enjoy your family!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register