DAY 9 SEX - Another reason not to break the rules - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

DAY 9 SEX - Another reason not to break the rules DAY 9 SEX - Another reason not to break the rules

Unread 11-19-2004, 12:21 AM
DAY 9 SEX - Another reason not to break the rules

FallPrincess......I do not mean to scare you, but the fact that you DID NOT have any vaginal drainage after the sex can be a sign that drainage went the OTHER way. If you happened to cause the slightest breech in your unhealed vaginal cuff, you might have an opening....even if very small.....into the formally sterile environment of your abdominal cavity. I hope this is not the case.

You cannot compare healing after childbirth to your current situation. Even though you could have been at risk for some vaginal/uterine infection by having intercourse too early after childbirth, you still had a closed system there.......nothing could find it's way to your abdominal cavity. As you know, there is no longer a dead-ended uterus at the end of your vagina......it's an unhealed sutered area that, if broken, leads right into your abdomen.

I have seen a surgery done on a woman who had sex at 1 week.....she even had semen in her abdominal cavity and a raging infection because of the contaminated opening into what is supposed to be a sterile environment. Her bladder was stuck to her vagina and her bowels were a mess.

Please listen to these ladies......Your doc needs to know ASAP!! You're not the first he's heard this from, I'm sure. I pray all is okay........not checking things out could lead to more damage than the intercourse did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2004, 04:47 AM

Youch... I'm 9 days post-op tomorrow and if my husband even came near me right now, I'd beat him off with a stick! Just the thought makes me hurt... Hope all is well with you -- I'm with the others who recommend telling your doctor you've had sex and to get checked out. Could be very, very dangerous. Good luck!
Unread 11-19-2004, 05:40 AM

Special ~*~ Hugsssssssssssssss~*~FallPrincess.

I should think by now you need all the extra hugssssssss we can give you.
I sincerely hope that with our encouragement you will come through this and feel so much better.
We are just all concerned for you right now. So
~*~ Hugsssssssssssssssssss~*~
Love Jo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2004, 07:09 AM
You really need to let your doctor know!!

You could have done damage to the vaginal cuff. This is very serious business.

I know that at 22 I wasn't as wise as I am at at 30. I may not have heeded the docs advice so well but at this stage in my life I listen to the doctor!

I agree that your hubby needs to be checked for a UTI also. My hubby and I passed one back and forth for about 6 months one time! We couldn't figure out why I kept getting them! Then we tested him and BOOM! That was the problem!

Giving birth is TOTALLY DIFFERENT than a hysterectomy. The healing process is actually much different and much more severe!

There are many other ways to get release. Please take care and do talk to your doctor tell him about the sex.

Unread 11-19-2004, 11:00 AM

wow, hyst is NOTHING like recovery from childbirth. And after I did deliver, I was given the 6 weeks speech then too!
This is a MAJOR surgery, they removed internal organs and tried to put everything back together again.
I hope you don't feel like we are ganging up on you, but having sex after 9 days was not very smart.
I hope you and DH do stop having sex until you see the doc. I just hope you haven't really hurt yourself terribly because it is very possible.
The docs give you these instructions for a reason, not just to put a cramp in your style.
Unread 11-19-2004, 11:23 AM

My nurse STRESSED the importants of rest and no lifting and basically behaving yourself. She said that you may not know at first that you've hurt yourself, but you will and it will make your recovery period last longer.

I misbehaved by taking out my cath and I ended up with a UTI. Boy I learned my lesson.. to listen and do what the doc says. My DH wouldn't touch even if I begged him to... he told me to remember what the doc said.

I just hope that you haven't hurt yourself.

s

Unread 11-19-2004, 10:29 PM

Good Evening Ladies,

I did try to call my Doctor again today. His nurse said he he is/was in the OR all day but she left the telephone consult for him. I feel so guilty I didn't have the nerve to tell her about the sex. Good news is that the vomiting has stopped and I am holding down fluids. The area around the actual stomach (by the ribs) still feels swollen and hurts to touch.

I honestly don't even know if I have the vaginal cuff, all I know is that the uterus and cervix is gone. Thank you ladies for helping me realize that this really isn't like childbirth and is very serious. I have full blown ADHD and I'll admit to being very impatient with the slow recovery

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and safe holidays!

FallPrincess
Unread 11-19-2004, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FallPrincess
I honestly don't even know if I have the vaginal cuff, all I know is that the uterus and cervix is gone.
Yes, if your cervix is gone, you have a vaginal cuff.

I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 11-20-2004, 03:26 AM

If they removed your cervix, you have a vaginal cuff.
Unread 11-20-2004, 08:29 AM
Ya really need to tell the nurse the truth also.

That way the doctor can get the info. You can't get complete healthcare if you don't share all the info with them.

Yes you do have a vaginal cuff.

I'm ADHD also but I still researched this all as completely as I could before the surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register