A gallbladder question.. anyone? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A gallbladder question.. anyone? A gallbladder question.. anyone?

Unread 12-19-2004, 07:00 PM
A gallbladder question.. anyone?

Hi everyone, thanks for your continued support. I am patiently waiting for my apt with my GI dr. in January, but I am still feeling pain when I eat under my right ribs...its almost like clockwork! However it is not excruciating, so I think I am able to wait it out. But I cant imagine having to go through the rest of my life like this! I know this Dr. will be a little more understanding and compassionate than my internest that I saw. She was very young, and I think I need to find Dr. who can relate to women my age and our problems. She made me feel foolish and I was very uncomfortable. The search continues, but I feel guilty having to change Dr's. I know thats dumb. I will keep you all posted. Happy holidays ! jody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2005, 12:37 PM
Gallbladder question....anyone?

I know this is an old post as I replied to it on 12/19/04, but wanted to let everyone know my situation.
I have had an ultrasound, normal, a hidascan, normal, and a upper GI and small stomach following, normal.
Since the dr couldn't find anything wrong, she gave me 8 weeks of protonix which is for reflux or ulcer. I was feeling somewhat better, so I thought maybe it was just reful, but then again last night, I started having pain in my upper right rib area and on into my back. I cannot sleep on my right side as this starts the ache, so have to turn to my left side with my head elevated until it finally stops or I go to sleep. It seems my Armour thyroid seems to cause this, but I'm not sure, but if I take the full dosage of 90 mg, it seems to start the ache.
Instead of the dr going ahead and scheduling a referral to an GI, she leaves it up to me, so I called and told them today to go ahead and get me set up.
You know sometimes I think they think I'm crazy, but the dull ache and pain is still there regardless.
My daughter had her gallbladder removed 3 years ago, and they couldn't find anything until they removed it and it was inflamed.
Does my situation sound like gallbladder to anyone?
Unread 01-25-2005, 02:34 PM

What exactly are the typical symptoms of gallbladder problems???

I have had new and upcoming pains, that are way higher than ever, but dont seem to be on one side or the other, just kindof radiate from by belly button up and out - not a sharp pain, just a dull ache.

Plus everytime I eat I get so sick to my stomach, and I cannot eat very much at a time - and lots of heartburn - plus something that feels sort of like a baby kicking, but higher - (that has only happened a couple times, but it was strange)-

I always thought gallbladder probs were so obvious, that you would just be screaming in pain -

Anyone have any clues??? I am going to the OBGYN Thursday, so I will ask him, but I don't want to sound crazy!!!!

Thanks for the help ladies!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2005, 02:37 PM

Sounds like my situation too. All my tests were neg. and then when they removed it they saw acute and chronic infection and inflammation. That is the bad thing with gallbladders, the pain for stones and infection is pretty much the same, cause when you eat, the gallbladder contracts, if it has stones, the stones block the duct which causes pain, if it is infected or inflammed it causes pain cause it is having to contract and move.
Some insurance companies will make you have an upper endoscopy where they look at your tummy through a tube before they will approve the surgery. Mine did, since all other tests were normal.
Eating a very low fat or fat free diet will minimize the pain with this type of gallbladder situation, but keep on them cause it will eventually come back...and gallbladder pain is nothing to sneeze at---it hurts.
Good luck and keep us updated.
Unread 01-25-2005, 03:03 PM

When they get in there to do the hyst can they look at the gallbladder and see that there are problems???? And then take it out then??

I guess the Dr. that I am going to gives you the option to get the apendix out at the time of your hyst., I am not sure if you have that option w/ the gallbladder. I guess his reasoning is - if you already have lesions and scar tissue, another surgery would be a bad thing, so get the other organs out while you are already in there - to avoid another surgery!! Makes sense to me!

I have a family history of gallbladder issues - although it usually doesn't hit until the 50's and I am only 33 - who knows!!! Is it hereditary???-
Unread 01-25-2005, 03:13 PM

Don't think it is hereditary, even though my mom and aunt had theirs out the same year I did, but they had stones.
Yeah, my consent form said possible appy, but he never removed it.....the gallbladder is a long way from where they are going to be, but I have heard of a sister who had this done. Could be worth talking to the doc about.
Unread 01-26-2005, 06:51 AM

I also have felt like a baby's elbow or knee was up under my ribs. Not painful, but a pressure.
Marian, did you have this? I have read other posts and they seem like mine; nothing shows up until the surgery.
I'm ready for some answers and relief. I can't imagine dealing with this forever.
Unread 01-26-2005, 03:58 PM

Yes, sometimes mine would feel like that...a lot of pressure, almost a poking feeling, a full kind of feeling and then sometimes I would have the horrible severe stabbing pain....and it is something that does not go away with Tums.
Unread 03-19-2005, 08:16 PM

Hi! I am new here and was reading about everyone's problem with their gall bladders. I too have been having upper right quadrant pain that radiates to my back. Sometimes, I can take it and it goes away, and other times I need major duty drugs to help it go away.I have been to the ER many times. I have had a ultrasound and a hida scan and both came back negative. I am so frustrated. I go to the doctor on Monday.

Mel
Unread 03-19-2005, 10:56 PM

All my test came back negative but I still had the pain. Dr. decided to do the surgery and I had an inflammed gallbladder. Thank goodness my doctor listened, I feel so much better now!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register