cystocele surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cystocele surgery? cystocele surgery?

Unread 11-18-2004, 09:33 PM
cystocele surgery?

Hi, I have posted this before in Bladder matters and didn't seem to find anyone that had this experience. Hoping I will find someone here. I had a TAH/BSO eight months ago and in the last three months have been experiencing some bladder frequency, pressure and discomfort. I also feel vaginal pressure as well as pelvic pressure by the end of the day. I went to a couple of GYN's that say I have a grade one cystocele as well as a grade one rectocele. It seems to be a lot worse later in the afternoon. Some days the bladder is fine, it's the pelvic pressure along with the vaginal pressure that keeps me from standing too long. I have had two GYN's say they will do surgery, but I am really concerned as I don't have any leaking problems at all. I hate feeling this way and I am afraid a surgery will make matters worse. Is there anyone out there that has had this problems after a hysterectomy? Any insight would be helpful.
Annie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2004, 06:52 PM
cystocele surgery?

Hi Annie!
I don't have any answers for you because I have the same problem! I was diagnosed with a grade 2 cystocele and grade 1 rectocele. I had my TAH/BSO over 2 years ago - they were diagnosed before my surgery, but my idiot (now former) gyn never mentioned any repairs. So now I'm wondering the same things you are - I have pressure that gets worse as the day goes on and urinary frequency, at times, but no leakage. I have done research regarding this and most of it says to leave it alone or try things like kegal exercises or get a pessary. A pessary doesn't appeal to me and I don't think kegals will do much good at this point. So, I will be making an appointment with my new (and wonderful) gyn after the holidays to discuss this with him. In the meantime, maybe a hystersister will come along to give us some insight with this problem! Take care!
Unread 11-20-2004, 02:49 AM
cystocele surgery?

((((Annie)))))

I don't have any answers for you, I have never had this before, but I wanted to stop in and give you cyber hug because this has got to be very frustrating on you , having somthing else now pop up.

Let us know what the doc says and how you are doing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2004, 03:36 AM
Huntingandmoon

Hi, thanks for responding. Finally, someone who understands!
I didn't know I had a grade one Cytocele and rectocele prior to surgery. My GYN just asked me if I was peeing my pants and when I said no, then he said we won't tie up your bladder then. He never said anything about me having a cystocele and rectocele. It sounded reasonable to me not to tie up a bladder if I wasn't having problems. I have always had frequency, but have taken a water pill for blood pressure and assumed that caused it. Matter of fact, I quit taking it for a few days to see if the pressure and frequency quit. I was fitted with a pessary to try for a week to see if it helped. I only lasted one day wearing it as it hurt like heck. It made my insides really sore. It simply isn't worth it. I have had many opinions from different GYN's and most say to leave it alone. Two said if it was bothering me this much then surgery is the answer, but I am freaked that it will make matters worse as a few of them said it would. I have even been to a uro-gyn that doesn't do surgery, she just decides if you need it and she said to NOT have surgery. She has the personality of steel wool. I didin't get much out of her other than most women that have had a baby vaginally will have a slight cytocele and rectocele, and it is common. She said that she would never reccomend surgery for me. I didn't have the vaginal fullness feeling until the hyster. This is new. I feel like everything in there is way too heavy by afternoon and I have trouble standing too long. This just came on about three months ago and my hyster was eight months ago. Okay, this post is way too long... I see the gyn Tuesday that fit me for the pessary to make a decision if I want surgery. I am thinking I may suffer through for a while to see if things improve. Let me know how you are and what your doctor says. Thanks so much! Annie
Unread 11-20-2004, 12:19 PM
cystocele surgery?

Hey Annie!

I'll tell you - nothing beats the "confirmation" that I need like someone else going through the same thing.......please post or e-mail me after you see your doctor on Tuesday....I don't get to see mine till after January! As a post note - mine seem to get alittle better when I drop a few pounds...wonder if that has anything to do with it......I guess another good reason to shed the pounds I need to!!! Take care and please do let me know how you make out after your doctors appointment....
Unread 11-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Huntingandmoon

Hi, I have a lot of bladder pressure today and I've hardly done anything but lay around. I am not currently overweight, so am not sure if it would be worse if I gained. I fight to keep my weight off. I like to walk at the YMCA, but don't feel like walking now and am afraid I will gain weight. I almost feel like I did when I first had the surgery. You know, after they handle your bladder it feels sort of bruised if that makes sense. I just put on a half of a Vivelle Dot patch to make the total of .075. I am also using Premarin Creme. I wonder if it's the lack of estrogen. I have heard that can be the reason. I was on .1 Vivelle Dot and it made my breasts sore. So, I was told to drop all of the way down to a .05. Now, I wonder if it was way too low. So, back up I go to .075. Think I will stay there now. If I thought surgery would correct this, I would do it in a heartbeat, but I have my doubts. I am so afraid that the doctor will over correct my bladder and then I won't be able to urinate. I have heard that happening. I'll let you know more on Tuesday late. My appointment isn't until three p.m. Indiana time. Not sure she knows just what to do for me. She's great, but not sure just what is happening. Hang in there. I am determined to find out what the answer is!!
Unread 11-20-2004, 07:11 PM
cystocele surgery?

Hi Annie 48!

I forgot about the estrogen connection to bladder problems. You are right - I also read, in many different sites, that if you don't have enough estrogen it can cause vaginal atrophy which weakens the vaginal walls and then we can develop cystoceles and rectoceles. My cystocele developed 20 years ago when my handsome son came into this world weighing 9 lbs 2 oz. I don't know how much longer I should hold out...don't relish the idea of having to have this surgery when I'm in my sixties! I use 1.25 mg of bi-est (bio-identical ) transdermally, 100 mg prometrium daily and vagifem 2x a week. It took about 2 months for the vagifem to really kick in, and I am finally feeling better with regards to the vaginal irritation, burning and itching - sort of felt like a yeast or bacterial infection - but it wasn't - so my dr. treated me for vaginal dryness. Give the vivelle dot at least 1 month to work - it takes time for the body to adjust to the change before you can feel any relief...I look forward to hearing from you ... hope you get some definative answers!
Unread 11-20-2004, 11:17 PM
cystocele surgery?

Hi

I had a cystocele and rectocele repair 16 months ago and for me it was the wrong decision.

I was actually feeling better right before the surgery and should have called it off, but I didn't listen to my instincts and went ahead with it. I have had nothing but problems ever since.

I had been riding my bicycle to work for about a month prior to surgery (3 miles round trip) and I think it helped to strengthen my pelvic floor.

The doctor was very aggressive when he performed the surgery and didn't do a very good job, so I have ended up with alot of scar tissue in the vagina that is very uncomfortable.

I don't want to scare anyone from having this type of surgery but encourage you to take your time and try some different remedies before going the surgical route. Maybe even try a different estrogen. Sometimes my pelvic floor feels swollen when I have too much estrogen.

The bike riding (on flat ground) was very helpful. It was really making my pelvic floor stronger.

I deeply regret jumping into a surgery that I thought would be fairly simple, but ended up changing my life.

A cystocele repair can also destroy alot of vaginal sensitivity.

Good luck in your decision, I know it is a very difficult.

Jan
Unread 11-21-2004, 04:19 AM
Thanks Jan

I really want to thank you for responding. I am so sorry that you are not happy with the results of your surgery, but are sweet enough to share with us. I have been so afraid of having this surgery only to be unhappy with the results. I don't wet my pants and can even stop urinating and answer a telephone! So, it's not an issue of incontinence. Most docs that I have seen have said that I might be worse, so they are saying not to have surgery. It's interesting that you said too much estrogen makes your pelvic floor feel heavier. The GYN that did my surgery told me the same thing! That's one reason he had me back off of the .1 Vivelle Dot. He said it can actually cause pelvic ademia. Makes sense because my breast did swell. I also develop scar tissue easily, so I do worry about vaginal scar tissue. You know, If I have to have this surgery when I am in my sixties, it means that I have had at least ten years without having to deal with a surgery that failed... My Mom used to say that it takes a whole year to fully recover from a surgery, so my hyster was eight months ago and maybe things will improve. I'll pray for that. Thanks again, and I hope things improve for you.
Annie
Unread 11-21-2004, 02:55 PM
cystocele surgery?

I seen you message on the bladder matters board. I had A&P repairs done vaginally on Sept 21. So far everything seems ok. I had a grade 3/4 cest and grade 2 rect.
My DR I believe did a great job, he is suppose to be one of the best in the country . He works out of Loma Linda University Med Center. He is a Urogyn.
I still feel like I am a little swollen and I feel more so at the end of the day, But that is normal and it will take a while to fully recover.
I have another appt with him on 12/23.
I wore a pessary for about 6 months waiting to see what I wanted to do about surgery. I did not have any problems and hardly knew it was there. I went in every month and had the DR remove/clean and re-insert. I used Premarin creme during the 6 months to help strenghten the vaginal. Pessary's can hurt if they are not the right size and you are not fitted correctly. Or they can fall out or be pushed out by having a BM if they are too small. It is important that your DR knows how to fit correctly. Mine was a designed like a bridge that allowed for sex without having to remove it.
I have never had any problems with incontenance so I believe the Dr who did my original TAH just ignored the A&P repairs during my initial surgery. Even while wearing the pessary, I had no problems with leaking. Still don't after the A&P surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register