getting ready | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

getting ready getting ready

Unread 11-20-2004, 01:01 PM
getting ready

I am having some anxiety about getting everything done before I go in Dec. 16th. I would like to have a clean house and all my shopping done (in a perfect world). I think my family may expect more from me than I can give. Also,how have you all dealt with telling children-how much or how little do you say? My 16 and 19 year old daughters understand but what about my 9 and 11 year old boys and 5 year old girl? I'm afraid they will be scared when I come home after not the mom that went away. Any help will be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2004, 03:51 PM
getting ready

I have 2 young children ages 5 and 3. Our 5 year old worries soooooo bad I leave a lot out. I did tell her I'd be gone 1 night, possibly 2. But I just told her the Dr had to work on my belly to make it better. Good luck on what ever you decide.

shelly
Unread 11-20-2004, 04:00 PM
getting ready

I have a five year old daughter and an eight year old son, so I understand. I told my son that they were taking my baby making parts out because they aren't working right. He said, "your baby sack?" I laughed but told him that he was right. That seemed to satisfy his curiosity. My daughter is high functioning autistic and I have been the most concerned about her, not only will she be scared when mommy isn't there, but she has to follow a pretty rigid routien in order to function properly. I talked to the councilor at school and they are going to help me talk to her about it. I mentioned that because if your five year old is in school already, then the teachers or other advisors may be able to help you with what and how much to tell them. I hope that helps you some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2004, 04:29 PM
getting ready

I have two sons; 7 and 14. My 14yo actually asked me if I would have a period anymore...apparently he understands more than I know. When I told my 7yo, I let him ask questions, so I had an idea of how much info he wanted. He seems to understand well. He had a hard time with my inability to take care of him. My mom was here helping out for a couple of weeks. My son would not let her do anything for him...it had to be me. He had his insecure times. Overall, I think my kids did very well. I offered to show them the incision the first time they came for a visit at the hospital. They were fine with it...my dh was shocked. I think by showing my kids the incision it helped them to understand that I hurt. Of course, not all kids can handle seeing a 7" stapled incision.

I've done very well with my recovery and my kids really only saw me laying in bed for the first week. I would usually be up on the sofa when they were in school and went back to bed by the time they came home. I was up and about this past (my second) week, so they hardly noticed my lack of energy.

Good Luck!
Unread 11-24-2004, 07:11 AM
getting ready

My daughter is 9 and she knows how I frequently feel horrible. I've always told her my tummy is hurting. She worries a lot about things so we were hoping to wait until closer to the date to tell her.

Well, I'm a list-maker and she spotted a list I had written about what I needed to buy / do before hospital trip and she asked if I was going to the hospital. So we had a talk about how the doctor was going to do surgery to take out the things inside that make my tummy hurt so frequently and make me feel crummy most of the time.

She's been fine with that - no anxiety yet and no tears and she has asked a few more questions as we get closer to the date. Pleasantly surprised about how well it all went!
~Tammy
Unread 11-24-2004, 07:39 AM
getting ready

We told our 10 and 14 year old that the Dr was removing my baby making parts. My 14 year old actually asked me "Mom, when you come home from the hospital are you going to be and "it"", I almost fell over. I said no, I will still be a girl. The kids know that I will be away for a few days, my 10 year old is scared some but tries not to show it, I told him to talk about it that it was okay to feel that, that I was kinda scared to.
My husband is switching shifts at work to be on day side for two weeks to take care of me and the kids right afterwards, I have the lady across the street who will be there if I need her for anything at all. My mother has recently passed away, so I can't have her to help me out.
I have the Christmas tree and all up, planning on trying to finish to gift shopping this weekend as much as I can. Today is my lat day of work until sometime in January. I have made list after list and keep changing the list until I finally just tossed the list and have decided what gets done will and doesn't just won't and will have to wait..............

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register