Sleeping and Sleeping...bizarre dreams... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sleeping and Sleeping...bizarre dreams... Sleeping and Sleeping...bizarre dreams...

Unread 11-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Sleeping and Sleeping...bizarre dreams...

My SAH was last Tuesday and I'm on very little meds. Two Lortabs a day.

All I'm doing is sleeping...sleeping and sleeping. I have to pull myself out of a sleep and I'm still tired. I want to go back to sleep. Anyone else?

Then, it's really, really bizarre dreams. About people I haven't seen in years including lots of old boyfriends. I can't explain them except to say they are really weird.

Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2004, 02:13 PM

Hi, FLlady,

My surgery was Nov 9. While I was in the hosp. I was on Morphine drip (the patient regulated thing "the button") for 36 hrs. I could not focus on anything, literally, and I would fall asleep in the middle of a sentence with my eyes open. It really freaked out my daughter.

After that they had me on a variety of pain pills until they found one that didn't make me itch. After over 48 hrs post op, we settled on Darvocet. But with this med, I got almost paranoid. I would have mild panic attacks, and was affraid to go to sleep, because I would have the most bazaar dreams!

I was even terrified to leave the hospital (also drug induced, I believe), but once I got home and was taking one pill instead of the 2 they gave me at the Castle, I finally came out of my paranoia! I was still sleeping all the time tho, and having disturbing dreams.

I've had nothing but Ibuprofen for the last 5 days, and it handles most of my pain. Since then I believe my sleep has been more efficient.... more peaceful, and I can actually function during the day without taking 2 or 3 naps a day.

I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!
Hope this helps
Unread 11-23-2004, 03:32 PM

I was like that the day after surgery. My doctor cut the dose and it didn't help. then she changed the med and that did work so by the third try they got one to work.
Call your doctor and let them know what is going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2004, 12:15 AM

you're still fresh out of surgery, and your sleepiness probably doesn't have anything to do with pain meds -- just your body telling you that you need the sleep. I was like that the first two weeks post-op, and still wanted to nap the third and fourth weeks. now i'm keeping fairly regular hours.

i also had intense dreams the first week or so, most quite realistic. interesting how your subconscious reacts to surgery.
Unread 11-24-2004, 02:00 AM

I asked for the widest varieties of pain pills they had. I loved the morphine except it only made me sleep 20 minutes straight. Then they moved on to Percoset. Best pain manager in the world but they said NO NO you don't get this stuff out of the hospital. My body laughs at Vicodin. They pass that out for every ailment known to man at my health plan. My hubby's nurse said it was baby painkiller. I haven't yet tried the Darvoset. My mother called and complained about not receiving the percoset so they handed out the maximum strength Vicodin. (who knew they had that?) Anyway, with me not having real sleep, ( would fall asleep while reading anythng for 15 minute stretches) my dreams were all bizarre. They were repetitive. Like same scene, same color, same plot but shot in a loop. I think well it's just a dream for 15 minutes. what else can one expect.

My main beef was the gas thing. No one ever ever ever told me about that. I was doubled over. Finally had a bowel movement. of sorts. I'm sweating, swearing and crying prostrate on the floor. Luckily my mom comes home from shopping and helps me out, literally. (SHUDDERING) What moms do....wowzers. Gots to love em.

Finally I'm on something called Torodol. If you have to do something painkiller wise, try for something that doesn't constipate you. My doctor prescribed a laxative, but in the meantime, prunes are your friends.

I'm talking from the other side now. I feel way better than i've felt in days. 5 days from surgery. Just my two cents. Take care all you wonderful punctured princesses!
Unread 11-24-2004, 09:06 AM

I have also had very bizarre and sometimes, very scary or dark dreams. I am not on any pain meds and am 6 days post-op. I agree with the comments about stress and reactions from the surgery.

Good luck moving through this period and I hope that the rest of your recovery goes well.

Jenn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register