sister nusrses I need your knowledge! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

sister nusrses I need your knowledge! sister nusrses I need your knowledge!

Unread 11-26-2004, 10:52 AM
sister nusrses I need your knowledge!

I went for 4 week check and the doc thinks I have a haematoma above my incision. My abdomin is swollen, (which I knew was expected) but very, very hard. Can you tell me what this consists of and what should I expect now? I am going for an altra sound on Dec.7 just to make sure it is nothing more.

Everything else was fine my incision is healed nicely and I can start putting on vitamin E oil now so that will hopefully relieve some of the itching there.

I'm just a little worried about this hardness and how long it will last. So if anyone has gone through this would love to hear.

Thanks for any helpful info!!
Ellie M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2004, 11:09 AM

a hematoma is a collection of blood, kind of like a cyst...I guess that would be the best way to describe it. Most docs will try heat and see if it will reabsorb on its own. Some of them don't and need to be drained. Don't jump the gun here yet, wait for the ultrasound. I have had one and I just used a heating pad on it and it reabsorbed, but mine was kind of small.
Let us know what the u/s showed and what doc said. Don't freak out okay?
Unread 11-26-2004, 07:22 PM

Hi, I was in the hospital and had alot of other things going on at the time when they found my hematoma. It was larger than a grapefruit and had to be drainded to get my fever to go away. It helped alot. I had the drain taken out after a few days. Now it's just going away on it's own and turned into a thickening.

If your Dr wants to sched the test in Dec. than he must not be to concerned about it. My situation was complately different.

Try not to be to worried about it. Let us know how your doing.

Take care,
Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2004, 08:41 AM

Marian and Robin,
Thanks for the replys. Robin I was wondering if you had yours at 4 weeks or sooner or just when? My Doc didn't say to do anything about it ,other than he is sending me for the ultra sound, but I didn't ask him either. Like I said before I was just so shocked that my mind immediately thought the worse and shut down. I'm going to use a heat pad on my tummy. The thing is it really doesn't hurt too much just a litttle uncomfortable but so so hard. And how long before yours went away after the heat.

In the hospital I did have a drain in my incision that filled a little bulb kind of thing that they were empting all the time. After the second day they removed the tube. At that time I did wonder where all the blood that was still draining in there was going to go. but didn't ask any questions, was really just glad to have it out since it was uncomfortable. so now I am thinking that is probably the reason for the hematoma????

Robin, what is a thickening? Is it hard and will it leave a tummy bulge?

And thanks girls I am trying not to worry. When my doc found what turned out to be the 19cm fibroid he did get me in for an ultra sound the very next day so your right I'll just relax about it. I am a worrier and tend to keep lots of my worries to myself so this sight has been so wonderful for me.
Looking forward to your replies again.
Lots of love,
Ellie. M
Unread 11-27-2004, 08:54 AM

Ellie,
the reason a hematoma appears is because it never had the chance to reabsorb and started to collect together forming this cyst like thing.
I agree, if he is waiting til then to do the u/s he must not be too concerned.
The heat is not going to hurt anything, and it did get rid of mine.
Let us know how you are doing and if you ever have any more questions, please feel free to PM or email me anytime!
Unread 11-27-2004, 08:45 PM

Ellie M,
Well, I was re admitted 1 week post op for severe diareah and dehidration. I couldn't stand or anything. After a few days of tests and my fever getting highter and antibiotics not helping, my labs were all out of wack. They said I had colitis but couldn''t explain why everything else was happening to me. Finally when most of my DR's threw their hands up and almost gave up ( it looked very grave) my GI DR sent me for a CT of my ABD & pelvis. That's when it showed the hematoma from hell. My GYN DR wanted to get it drained right then and there but it was 11:30 PM and the Radiologist had gone home. They did it the next morning as soon as he got in. I had my GYN & my GI there to make sure I was ok.

A thickening feels like a mucus substance instead of a hard rock like it did when I was in the hosp. As soon as I was having it drained I could feel relief. When I first went in I felt 3 months preg. by the time I had the CT & the procedure, I felt like 4 months preg.

After I left the hosp I didn't use heat or anything. It might have gone away quicker if I did. I did have to wait an extra 2 wks or so to have sex b/c it's between my vagina and anus.

Good luck to you,
Robin
Unread 11-28-2004, 11:30 AM

Thanks girlls, I am using heat and it feels so good. My abdomin does not feel any different yet but the heat sure feels nice. The only time it really causes me any discomfort is when I walk for any length of time. My tummy just feels so heavy and pulls down, I guess gravity?
Thanks again for your information I do feel so much better about it. I will let you know how the altra sound goes but hopefully by then my tummy will not feel like a rock.
Lots of Love,
Ellie M.
Unread 12-08-2004, 02:33 AM

Wow what a day I had!
Went for my altra sound. It is definately a hematoma. A big one.
The lab technition called her supervisor and he confirmed a hemetoma so I will find out what to do about it from my Doctor. The techniction said usually let it disolve on its own or maybe have it sucked out with a syringe(ofcourse she said this in much nicer terminolagy)I will wait and see from my Doctor. I am feeling not to bad now, very heavy abdomin, when I walk.
When I returned home from the hospital,my son and I, we had a message that my father in law was in emergence at another hospital 1 and a half hours away and mom in law was waiting to go there with DH. So away we went DH and I and Mom in law. Very scary for us all until they got the internal bleeding stopped and father in law is stable and will know more in the morning. I realize now how much better I really am because just a week or two ago there is no way I would have even been able to travel without so much discomfort. I really don't feel bad at all. And now my hemetoma seems very trivial compared to what's going on with dear father in law. Just praying everything goes good for him.
Thanks for listening.
Ellie
Unread 12-08-2004, 11:24 AM

(((Ellie)))

Sorry to hear about DFIL... that is terrible. I hope he recovers well and is home in time for the holidays. Well now you know what it is, now when will you hear from the doc? Please keep us updated on you and your FIL , our prayers are with you all.
Unread 12-09-2004, 09:56 PM

Marian,
Thanks for your prayers. DFIL is still not out of the woods, can't seem to get the bleeding stopped so as soon as they quit giving blood his numbers go down. Very serious and his age is against him, 86years old. Please continue to pray.
I saw my Doctor today and the altra sound report was good as far as he was concerned. I have a huge hematoma at the surgical site but nothing to worry about. The hematoma will disolve in 12 plus weeks. So I'm hoping sometime in March I will have a normal tummy. For now I will just try to get back to normal. And other then this very hard swelly belly I am feeling quite good.
Thankyou so much for listening.
Love Ellie M.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register