How long does the pain last? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long does the pain last? How long does the pain last?

Unread 11-27-2004, 11:42 AM
Constipation, Post op pain, bleeding ...

Hello!
First re: your constipation. My mother in law suggested I take a tablespoon of Mineral Oil to help with that constipation. Let me tell you.. it was ODD to swollow oil (I just did it all at once and then chased it with a something)... but let me tell you it worked like nothing I have ever seen before. No cramping, no pain, no diarrhea, just a slick bowel movement within about 6 hours.. I stayed on that once a day while I was taking the pain medication and it worked like a champ. You can buy a store brand for less than $2.00 and it last forever.

As for the pain. I went off my pain medication at about day 12 post surgery. and til this day, my left side is in soo much pain. The left side is hyper sensitive to touch much less anything else. I wish it was like my right side - heck my right side hasn't given me a moments problem. My MD says that there is suture knots there and that's why it hurts more. *SIGH* I dont' know if I will ever be pain-free from that again... I just keep praying.

I dont know about others.. but I am soo tired still. I am now into my 3rd week post op. My upper back gets tired soo fast from sitting up. I haven't napped mid-day in 2 days but that doesn't mean I wouldn't kill for a nap!

I do have vaginal bleeding still... when I saw my MD 1.5 weeks ago he said if I am still bleeding by mid next week I need to call him. If I stay in bed and literally only get up to eat and pee I'm fine... but Lord help me if I am doing anything else. When will it end?? and why am I still bleeding? Not massively, but definately fresh blood... any ideas?

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

WB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2004, 12:43 PM
How long does the pain last?

I went off Percocet right away because they made me sick, and the doctor prescribed Darvocet. I'm still taking them for pain, alternating sometimes with the 600 mg Ibuprophen - almost five weeks post op. I'm not worried about addiction, just the constant pain. I don't know what's wrong, doctor says not to worry since no bleeding, discharge or fever. I had a TVH.
Unread 11-27-2004, 07:09 PM

I had my TVH on 11/17/04 and also left the hospital with an Rx for Percoset and it has been a lifesaver. The nurses told me I could alternate the Percoset with Motrin or Aleve to help with the constipation issue, but neither of those touched my pain. On Weds (day before Thanksgiving) I was almost out of Perc so call the doc, he left a script for me at the hospital desk since they were out of the office til Monday. My theory: If you need them for the pain, you need them (especially if using according to directions). I don't think I would have made it through the weekend without it. I see him again on Monday, so we'll see where we go from there. Constipation is improving with metamucil and lots and lots of water. Don't overdo it though. We went to walmart tonight and that about did me in!
Take care and have a great recovery.
Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2004, 01:24 PM

Don't feel bad. I had my surgery on Nov. 9th and am still having terrible aches & pains, especially in the mornings - it feels like a bad flu and is actually worse than the first two weeks post-op. I only have a few pain pills left and I'm thinking about asking for one more refill. Like you, I don't want to become dependent on them but if I would have known that the 3rd & 4th weeks were actually going to be worse than the first two, I would have conserved the pain meds better. My Doc. gave me a prescription for my refills (Hydrocodine), which is not near as strong as the Percocet. Maybe you could ask your Doc. about something not so strong if you need to get another refill. I'm down to just taking one of mine a day which is working for me. Hopefully my doc. will refill it one more time to help me get over the "final hump" of pain.

Good Luck!
Unread 11-30-2004, 09:50 AM

Actually, I had the name of my pain pill wrong. It isn't Percocet, it is called Darvocet. It is not that strong either. But my doctor was kind enough to give me a refill yesterday.

I also had my staples taken out yesterday. It hurt just a little bit but not that much. It feels strange now and I'm so afraid it might pop open but the doctor said it is healing nicely. He also said I did the right thing by having the surgery since my largest fibrord was 7 inches long and wide. It only weighed 4 pounds though but for some reason I lost 10 pounds. I'm not complaining!
Unread 11-30-2004, 12:16 PM

nope, darvocet is not strong at all, so don't you hesitate to call back if it isn't working enough for the pain. Glad to hear you got the staples out, that definately made me feel better when I would stand up and sit down etc.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register