pelvic nerve block | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pelvic nerve block pelvic nerve block

Unread 11-27-2004, 11:19 AM
pelvic nerve block

Am having a nerve block Dec 3 and wondered, has anybody had this done? I have had pelvic pain since March 2001 despite a hysterectomy and other surgeries. Would appreciate any insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2004, 04:17 PM
pelvic nerve block

I don't have any insight, but I was wondering are you getting the injection in more than one place or is your pain localized to one area?

I will pray that all goes well with it and that it works!
Unread 11-27-2004, 04:48 PM
HI

Hi there,
I don't know anything about this either, but after 15 months of abdominal pain would like to know more!!! Who is doing this, a pain management DR? Also, how did they determine that this is the way to go for you? CT scans, ultrasounds? I am sure there are a lot of ladies on this road who want to know how you make out from this!! Good Luck to you, I can't believe that in this day and age there is nothing that can be done to stop our pain..!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2004, 07:02 AM
pelvic nerve block, more information

As I wrote before, am having a nerve block Dec 3 for pelvic pain I have had since March of 2001, despite a hysterectomy and other surgeries. I have had many ultrasounds and a cat scan. As you know, adhesions cannot be detected by tests, only with additonal surgery. After all this time I was left with the decision to have another laparoscopy or try a pain clinic. I chose the pain clinic. The Dr. is a Dr. of anesthesiology and pain medicine. A superior hypogastric plexus block, pain block, is an injection in the back of a local anesthetic in the area of a nerve plexus which goes to the organs in the pelvis. It is supposed to numb the pain. I was told, when you have pain for a long time, the nerves keep signaling pain, even when the source of the pain, the pelvic organs, have been removed. Just want to know how it feels. Any information will be appreciated.
Unread 11-30-2004, 07:47 AM
pelvic nerve block

I'm not trying to rain on your parade here ... I really hope the nerve block will do the trick. Please keep us posted on how this works for you.

There is one statement in your post that concerned me. All of your pelvic organs have not been removed. You still have a vagina, bladder and kidneys and intestines, ligaments, nerves, blood vessels. So there still is a lot in there that could account for your pain, especially if adhesions are suspected.

I think of it this way ....adhesions tie together things that are not meant to be tied in that way. Sometimes that does not cause pain, sometimes it causes severe pain. Depends a lot on location and amount.

I do hope you get relief from your pain!!!

Unread 11-30-2004, 03:10 PM
pelvic nerve block

I too am having a nerve block performed. Two of them in the front right next to the pelvic bones. I am not absolutely sure but I think they call it a bilateral illoingual nerve block. I have been in alot of pain too. It is the reason that I had a complete hysterectomy and found this site in the first place. The pain came back as soon as I went off my meds from the hysterectomy. I did not tell anyone for 6 months for fear they would all think I was crazy. Anyway, I have been with one pain center who just gives me pain meds even though I have begged for a cure and not a band-aid. I am fortunate that I do have the band-aid though because I would be disabled without the meds. I have found another Dr. who does not prescribe any pain meds and was able to get me a TENS unit, Neurontin (which I could not tolerate) and this nerve block. My date is the 2nd, so I will be going the day before you. I have been asking all of my friends and family to pray for me out of complete desperation. I will pray for you as well. Did your pain start out as Endo and then with multiple laporoscopies the pain still crept up on you? I think I have a combo package in my pelvis. Muscles, nerve entrapment and adhesions is what one Dr. told me. Well, hang in there and keep in touch. I think we all want to know how it works for you. Take care, Krista
Unread 12-01-2004, 07:14 AM
Reply to Krista - nerve block

Your reply gave me relief in that I know I am not alone. It sounds like we have very similiar problems. I too have had a hysterectomy as well as laps etc. to relieve the pain. My pain has always been on my left. I think the needles will be in my back. I will be thinking of you today. Please think of me tomorrow. Good luck. Sera
Unread 12-03-2004, 01:41 PM
pelvic nerve block

I had 3 nerve blocks in June of this year for pain in my left abdominal area (which by the way did NOT work) I was devastated to say the least. Let’s see if anyone can help me! I had my hysterectomy on Oct. 29, 2002. I recovered and returned to work remarkably fast. No problems or so it seemed…One day in Aug. 2003 I was working at my computer and I felt a pulling or jabbing sensation under my left rib cage, you know like when you were pregnant and you had a small foot sticking you. Nothing to bad just an annoyance and I could stretch it out at first. However, as the weeks went on the pain grew more intense and really started getting on my last nerve. I went to my GI doc in Oct. 2003 and he suggested I have my GYN look to see if there were adhesions. I could not have a lap until March 04. My daughters are competitive All-Star Cheerleaders and we travel all winter and our last comp. wasn’t until Feb. 29th.
On Mar. 1, 04 I was in my gyn’s office and on March 4th, he removed quote “massive adhesions”. I have the VHS it was like a Kudzu Forrest in my belly!!! So at long last I thought my problems were over…NOT even close. Since March 04, my pain has got progressively worse and I have had every medical procedure know to man….all coming back normal. If not for a very determined primary care doc, I honestly don’t know what I would do. Together my doc and I are trying to manage the pain. During my weekly visit with her she found a large complex cyst on my Thyroid, I has surgery on Oct. 26, 2004 to remove it; I was back at work with in 10 days. I am a strong person and don’t give in easy, but this stomach thing is kicking by butt! I am not overweight (I did gain weight after the nerve blocks due to the steroids they use) I am 39 married with two wonderful daughters 15 & 13, I work full time for the Chief Medical Officer of a large insurance company (ironic huh)? So what’s a girl to do? To get thru my work day and running my girls to and from practice 4x week I take Lortab (2) every 4 hours, I wear Lidoderm patches 3 at a time and I had my employer raise the work surface in my office to a height that I can stand and work. Sitting for longer than 5 or 10 minutes is hard and …driving is a killer. As soon as I get home and know I don’t have to drive anymore I hit the tub with a glass of red wine (ugh, I hate red wine) then its off to do the rest of my household duties (I am not a slave and my family wants to help, but I have to keep moving or I feel like I am going to explode inside. About 10 pm, I’ve had it, and I take Restoril & another glass of wine and go to sleep (for about 2-3 hours) and then I am up again!!! This is my story and I am looking for any and all advice!! I will leave you with my final thought on undiagnosed pain…if you have it, never let a doctor tell you it is all in your head or you are just depressed that is a crock and the truth is they simply aren’t capable or willing to help you. If you know your pain is real, don’t give up and don’t stop looking for the answer!! I know this will not beat me!! Thanks for listening!
Unread 12-06-2004, 02:46 PM
Pain and then more pain

Hang in there, the best thing is that you have a great attitude and that sometimes is all you have. I would suggest that if your sleep is suffering and the pain is constant that you try some type of constant time release pain medication. I know, I know that most people do not want to take narcodics for fear of getting addicted. If you have not been addicted in the past, chances are that you will not. I have found them to be a life saver in so many ways. I did not take them for years, but I finally realized that I do not deserve to be in pain. It is not natural, normal or acceptable to be in so much pain. It is debilitating. You have a right to be pain free and if you take them the way that they are prescribed you will find that they go right to the pain without any funny feeling. You do not feel "high", well at least I do not. They are a band-aid no doubt, but it makes life alot easier to bear and you can still look for a cure while you are taking them. I am not sure if my pain block worked or not. All I know is that I have been in more pain than before, I guess time will tell. I would love to hear from Sarafina to see if it worked for her. Someone give us some good news please!!!!!
Unread 12-06-2004, 04:03 PM
serafina!

How did the nerve block turn out the other day? I hope all is well and worked wonders for ya. Please keep us updated on your progress!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register