Surgery on 11-30 Had some questions for those who have had or will be having | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery on 11-30 Had some questions for those who have had or will be having Surgery on 11-30 Had some questions for those who have had or will be having

Unread 11-27-2004, 12:16 PM
Surgery on 11-30 Had some questions for those who have had or will be having

I to am having surgery on Tuesday 11-30. I am having a LAVH BSO. The doctor discussed leaving one overy but was going to take the left one because of adhesions but I wanted him to take both. For two reasons, I have the pain when I ovulate and it is always on the right side which is the overy he was going to leave. the second reason was because I am having many problems related to hormone imbalance like night sweats, fatigue, bloating, just to name a few. It will be much eaiser to regulate my hormone balance with HRT.

I am scared to have the surgery and I just had a lap done 4 weeks ago. All went well with that but not sure how the pain will be post op with this. I also do not want to stay in the hospital overnight. The first thing I said when they woke me from anesthesia after my lap was I want to go home.

The doctor says I most likly wont feel like going home as quick this time.

I read somewhere that after a LAVH they pack the vigina, has anyone had experience with this? It sounds uncomfortable.

All of you who are young who are having this done this week does the thought go through your mind that you will never be able to have anymore children?

I have a wonderful 13 year old son and I am a single mom. I am 36 years old and have reached an age that I know I dont want to start over and have anymore children and most of all I just want to feel like being a mom to the one child I have. I had a bad time with labor and ended up with a c-section and never really wanted to go throught the delivery thing ever again anyway. Guess thats why I never had anymore. The thought still goes through my mind that this is it.!! No going back!!

My other question is to anyone with the uterine prolapse, do you have trouble with BM's? Will it get better after the surgery?

Good luck to all of you on Tuesday, I will also say a prayer for you that morning while I am asking god to keep me safe. I am lucky my surgery is at 7:30am, I have to be at the hospital at 5:30 am, I ask that nurse if she was sure that 5:30 came in the morning time!! The only time I ever see 5:30 on my clock is when I get home from work!!!!

Good Luck and God Bless all!!
Shelley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2004, 07:38 PM

Hi Shelley,

Of course, your decision about your ovaries is one that only you and your doctor can make, but I'd like to encourage you to think again about having your doctor remove both of your ovaries, and talk to him about it again. What reason did he give you for not removing it? Even if it is not producing as many hormones as it used to, it still produces some, and that's just that much less that you'll have to supplement. I've been fortunate, and only had to try 3 different dosages and types of hormones before finding one that worked for me, and I still have both of my ovaries. Some of our members go through an awful lot, trying to get everything in balance.

I had a TVH and, in my case, I wasn't ever in pain that wasn't manageable. My surgery was early in the morning (I know how you feel about 5:30 AM - luckily I live only about 5 or 10 minutes from the hospital). I woke up sometime in the afternoon with a morphine pump that I controlled. It worked very well, and I didn't have any nausea at all.

I think it's wise for you to stay one night - with your lap, no organs were being removed, and they are with a hysterectomy. I don't think you'll be ready to go home so soon this time.

My doctor packed my vagina with gauze (to stop any bleeding), but it's done while you're still asleep. The nurse removed it the following morning, and although it feels strange when the gauze is pulled out, I didn't have any pain.

As far as having more children - I already had grandchildren when I had to have my surgery, but you may want to visit the Hyster Sister Aching Hearts Forum where you'll meet others who are experiencing some of the same feelings as you.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers for a successful and uneventful surgery and recovery.

S
Unread 11-27-2004, 10:04 PM

Hi ((Shelley))
I woke up without my ovaries - because of endo. I wasn't prepared for that tho I knew it was possible they'd find a reason to take them. I miss my ovaries. Like KDeit said, they can still provide some benefit.

Like you've been thinking, sometimes I too think working from 'Ground Zero" with HRT might have some benefits. However, it's the long term that bugs me. When/if I decide to ween myself off HRT when I'm old & wearing purple.... I'll still be at Ground Zero. (The ovaries can still provide some small benefits after menopause.)

Even with no problems, the decision is between you & your dr. In your case, they are causing you pain. You are justified doing whatever you are most comfortable with. It's your body. Your decision. Just be at peace with whatever you decide. . Do take spend some time with your dr. & learn what he/she would recommend as far as HRT. There are so many types and routes, etc. Get whatever books you might want to read about it etc., and maybe spend some time in the Hormone Jungle if you haven't already. Maybe I'll see you there.

I didn't have any vaginal packing with my LAVH/BSO. Matter of fact, I couldn't even tell they'd worked in the vagina for the first week or so. My p/op pain was lower abd. from the endo & adhesions. No sensation of vaginal discomfort until 1-2 weeks after, with prolonged sitting & pressure.

Good luck with your ovary decision. That's a tough fence to sit on!
Best wishes for an uneventful surgery too.
Sistabeth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2004, 11:06 PM

I am 27 yrs young and having a TAH 12/6 ... you had asked if the thought of no more children crosses our minds....
It has crossed my mind several times, but like I have posted b4,
I can't see the point in bringing another child into this world if I can't keep a job to support the 2 I have.
I had tried to become pregnant for almost 2 years with no luck.
I set into my mind that if I wasn't pregnant by the time a surgery date was set that it wasn't going to happen and wasn't meant to happen. Besides... I hear little girls are a pain in the butt and there are plenty of lil' girls around me to spoil. I also have a little sister (10 yrs old) whom comes to stay with me often.
I am very happy with my decision.
You are right... there is no turning back... but atleast with the decision I have made ... I can finally go forward!

Wishing you the best of luck and lookig forward to reading your "Princess story"

Melissa
27yrs old ~ Adenomyosis for 7 yrs ~ TAH 12/6

~*Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take*~
~*But by the moments that take our breath away*~

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register