another question about the "swelly belly band" and big tummy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

another question about the "swelly belly band" and big tummy another question about the "swelly belly band" and big tummy

Unread 11-27-2004, 10:00 PM
another question about the "swelly belly band" and big tummy

Hi everyone

I'm going to have a TAH on 12/14, with a horizontal incision. To quote another hystersister, I'm "fluffy" and have a hangover tummy (i.e. extra roll of fat) and suspect the incision may be under the roll.

So, I have a couple of questions:
--can you use the "swelly belly band" if you have a hangover tummy?

--is it difficult to keep the incision clean, dry, and comfortable, or whatever you should do to keep the incision in good condition when you have a hangover tummy?

Wish this surgery would also take care of all the extra weight I carry around. Maybe being on a somewhat simplified diet afterwards --and not wanting to walk to the fridge to snack--will help. I asked my doctor if she could remove some of the fat while she was "in there" and she said no--too dangerous. Hmmm. That surprised me. Insurance wouldn't pay, in any case, I suspect.

I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving Day. I spent too much time bying Christmas presents, knowing I had to do it early! And it started to snow a little tonight. Winter is here.

take care
kirinphoebe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2004, 03:56 AM
another question about the "swelly belly band" and big tummy

I had my TAH/BSO on Nov 17th and I, too have a hangover tummy and had a horizontal incision. Yes, the incision is below the tummy roll. It's important to keep the incision line clean and dry so that you don't develop a yeast infection. While I was in the hospital, a nurse suggested tucking a peri pad right into the roll to keep the incision dry. When my surgeon came in the next morning, she approved.

Now that I'm home, I'm using up my supply of extra thin maxi pads for this purpose. I fold it in half lengthwise, so the sticky side is totally enclosed. I'm left with a thin, soft cottony pad that I tuck right up to the incision. My tummy roll holds it in place. My incision line has stayed dry and is healing well. The pad is a little extra cushioning as well.

Another tip I learned on this forum from another fluffy lady is to use a hairdyer on low to dry under the tummy roll after my shower. I pat dry with a towel first and then use the hairdryer. When all is dry, I tuck in one of my maxi pads and it works great.

Best of luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register