Longer to empty your bladder? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Longer to empty your bladder? Longer to empty your bladder?

Unread 12-14-2004, 08:35 PM
Longer to empty your bladder?

Can you go to another urologist? From my own experience, I would NEVER see any doctor that my gyn referred me to. Not that I know whether or not you have, but your feeling that he was covering for your gyn could be right on target. In my case, my gyn gave, shall we call it ... "misleading" ... information to the other local doctors. One of them took me aside and told me go out of the area to a large teaching hospital. This advice probably saved my life. In other words, yes, they do cover for each other. This is no secret and I have had MANY doctors, nurses and technicians tell me this over the years.

You need a doctor you can trust and one who has YOUR best interest at heart, not a colleagues. If you are getting off to such a bad start with this one, what makes you think things will improve?

Are you near any large cities with teaching hospitals? This kind of hospital should have access to the latest technology and research. If at all possible, get another opinion away from your local area and local doctors who must work together, share hospital privileges or socialize together. This is the best way to get "fresh eyes" and an unbiased opinion. Also, don't tell them who your old doctors were until you have gotten their opinion or diagnosis.

Also, does your insurance cover emergency room trips? Usually you can go the ER room and be admitted, then they will run the test right away. Remember, extreme pain IS a reason to go to ER!

Medical mistakes and surgical errors are routinely covered up and no one should assume that this cannot happen to them. Like I said before, I have interviewed enough medical professionals who have told me this is a known problem that they personally have experienced. (As a matter of fact, the only doctors who have denied this to me, were the who had been accused of wrong doing.)

Please listen to your intuition and seek help from a kind, compassionate, caring doctor that is up to date on hysterectomies and complications. They are out there, I know, I finally found one.

Big hugs and lots of empathy,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2004, 06:01 AM

Lucille,
Thank you for your insight and caring. I was referred to the Urologist by my GP who I finally got up the nerve to go see after 11 weeks of feeling like the gyn wasn't getting this figured out. My problem is that we live in a small area and there are no local Urologist that are listed on my HMO other than this one and another one that I couldn't get in to for 2 months. The lady at my insurance said that if I was willing to travel a distance she would help me find one to see. Since I can't drive, because of weakness, and pain I would be afraid to drive a long distance, I need to discuss it with my DH. How could I see another dr without telling them about the hyst and who my gyn is? Won't they want the records from him?

I have yet another appt with the gyn today and I'm sure it won't be pleasant,because I know that the GP's office called his office for the results of my blood tests and the Urologist said he was going to get in touch with him and let him know about the tests, so I am stressing over this visit.

I got the dr covering dr feeling because my gyn is like the GYNECOLOGIST that EVERYONE goes to in this area. He has been practicing for over 30 years and the Urologist of course knows him.

Oh Well, bite the bullet and see what horrors today can bring.
Unread 12-15-2004, 06:24 AM

Hi Joyce,
I know what you mean, and it felt to me like the muscles did not work to push the urine out. I find now at 12 weeks that my bladder is better. My GP explained also a problem that can happen. I have my cervix and apparently there is a small cave behind the cervix. He thinks possibly that a tiny piece of my bladder has dropped in there. I was told to sit forward as I pee to empty that part. It would be between the rectum and cervix. So, when I sit down I finish, and then bending at the waist, I lift my butt up slightly, and sit back down. I find it works, and I get a little more out.

Hang in there!!
Hugs
Kat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2004, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by harley_kat
I was told to sit forward as I pee to empty that part. It would be between the rectum and cervix. So, when I sit down I finish, and then bending at the waist, I lift my butt up slightly, and sit back down. I find it works, and I get a little more out.

Hang in there!!
Hugs
Kat
I do the same thing and it does help a little bit to get everything out quicker. I am 10 weeks postop from my last adhesion surgery and a little over a year from my hyst and have had this problem since hyst. Drives me insane sometimes but once I started doing this, ithelps a lot. Also, I notice that if my bladder is really full, it empties quicker than trying to go when I feel a little bit of an urge.
I hope you find relief soon.
Unread 12-15-2004, 11:01 AM

This "cave" is from removing our uteruses and the destruction of our pelvic floor which used to hold all our parts in place, including bowels and bladder. This is not a "normal" state and not being able to empty the bladder completely can lead to bladder infections and other health problems.

Naturally, following a hysterectomy, women will bring post-op urinary complaints to their gynecologist who most often prescribe antibiotics and a "wait and see" approach. Eventually, a referral to a urologist follows because urinary problems are not gynecological problems (even when the urological problem was caused by the gynecological surgery). All this, of course, can prove to be very frustrating and confusing for the patient. Not to mention expensive. My new philosophy is to skip the middle men and go directly to the experts in whatever part that ails you. It saves time, money, pain and frustration. Still, no matter who you see, ALWAYS get a second or third opinion before having ANY kind of surgery.

blmissy- I know exactly what you are talking about. I come from a small town and know that EVERYONE knows EVERYONE and having a problem with a doctor can be a HUGE problem. Personally, I think it's worth the drive to the city, even though I know that is a huge inconvenience. If your doctor is very busy, he might not have the time to study and update on the latest research, technology and options and it is quite possible that he is still practicing things he was taught in medical school over 30 years ago. This is the big danger for overworked doctors in isolated areas. Large teaching hospitals, on the other hand, must stay current with the latest and are always infused with new discoveries and fresh minds.

If you stay with your current doctors, at the very least, make certain your husband goes into your exam with you. Ask him before to be very supportive of YOU and take detailed notes. (I would even ask to record the visit.) This might produce an amazing change in your doctors "attitude" towards you. (Irritating at this may be, ladies, it has been proven effective.)

Good luck and best wishes,
Unread 12-15-2004, 12:24 PM

Just got back from they gyn visit and was so pleasanltly pleased I can't believe it myself. I told him of the trip to the Urologist and what all had occured with the receptionist and the cancelling of all the tests. He did an internal exam and I told him that I was beginning to think this was all in my head. He very sternly told me that it most definitely wasn't in my head and in fact the glass was overfilling and this was becoming quite serious. He told me that there are women who have trouble with there bladders up until 12 weeks, but he said this has gone on too long. He asked me why was a CT scan odered? I told him the Uro thought that maybe blood had coagulated and was pressing on my bladder. He asked me if Uro did an internal and I said No. He told me he could not feel anything laying on or around my bladder but that he could feel it spasm. He said I most definitely need a cystoscopy done. There are only 2 Uro's on my HMO and one was the already proven problem dr, so gyn's office called the other Uro and told them it was an emergency and got me an appt for tomorrow afternoon.

Gyn also said I had a vaginal infection and gave me Flagyl. He also gave me something to take for when the pain is just too much and a pill to help me sleep- Ambien- but oh brother, it is $4.50 per pill. My DH said not to worry about it that right now it would be worth $100 a pill for me to get some rest, God love his heart!

Also, as I was going out the door to the gyn appt., the phone rang and it was GP office saying that the mammogram I took yesterday left them with some questions so they are scheduling me for an ultrasound of the left breast. I hope the lump under my arm turns out to be just a lymph gland problem.

I keep telling myself that God does not put more on you than you can bear and I must be tougher than I thought!!
Unread 12-17-2004, 05:18 AM

Finally got to the Urologist. He asked a million questions, which I was thrilled about. Did a urine test and sent it off for a culture. Put me on a table and tilted it head down for quite some time and said that he didn't see any visible signs of a fistula and no pooling of urine in the vagina. Both very good things. Scheduled me for a Cystoscopy Tuesday and said if that is negative there is some kind of study they do with a catheter in the bladder and the rectum.

He called to talk to the gyn but he wasn't in so he asked them to fax a surgery report to them. So I asked for a copy. I can't really understand it but it said that upon opening it was a soft boggy enlarged uterus. Didn't say anything about cysts or anything. I guess that is in the pathology report?

Oh well, I feel like maybe now I might actually find out what is wrong with me. He said it could be as simple as a stitch in the bladder irritating it or maybe a lesion in there. Will see what we find out Tuesday!!
Unread 12-17-2004, 06:40 AM

Blmissy,
I am so glad you are getting this sorted out. It must be rough having a bladder issue on top of the surgery. I too hope your lump turns out to be a glandular issue. I could completely see that happening after a huge surgery! Our lymph glands remove the toxins from our cells, and with healing it would stand to reason they might get swollen. Please keep us informed as to what is going on....

Hugs
Kat
Unread 12-17-2004, 06:51 AM

Kat,
Thank you for your kind wishes and thoughts.

And I still think you should give some thought to writing some short stories or antecdotes for magazines or the like. That's something you could do from home. With your wit and ability to make people see the humorous side of a bad situation, I am positive somebody would publish them!
Unread 12-17-2004, 08:31 AM

Just got off the phone with GP's office and breast ultrasound is set for next Wednesday. Glad to get all this done before end of the year so I can finish up this years deductible!!! HA! HA! Seriously, with the tests done maybe I can get in the Xmas spirit a little bit.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register