How long till the swelling is gone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long till the swelling is gone? How long till the swelling is gone?

Unread 11-28-2004, 05:17 PM
How long till the swelling is gone?

I had my SAH-BSO with a mini tummy tuck and some lipo on 11/10, so I am now 2 and a half weeks post-op. At this point, I am hoping some of you out there might be able to offer some comments with respect to the abdominal swelling which, from what I have read, seems to be a factor for almost everyone during the initial recovery period.

I am still in my binder 24/7 and am not getting any larger, but I am wondering about the residual swelling in my abs which has not diminished yet. I think it has been fairly constant since my surgery, although that is a little hard for me to judge. (I should also add that initially after my surgery, there was swelling in my legs and face, too, but thankfully that went away very quickly.)

I know that ab swelling can fluctuate a lot from what I have seen here at HS, but can anyone tell me when it finally disappears for good? Or, at least, when it did in your case(s)?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer. I really appreciate it.

With best wishes to all for speedy recoveries and the best of health. Take care and be well.
Carrie

P.S. How important is water intake in alleviating swelling? I have a feeling I am not drinking enough, so maybe that is a factor as well. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2004, 06:17 PM

I was glad to see your post. I have the same question so I cant really answer. I will say that I am almost 6 weeks PO from TAH with TT. I am not sure how much of the swelling is related to the TAH and how much from the TT??? I was not swollen much until about 2 weeks ago, and I really swell in the evenings. I dont feel that I am doing too much. I do drink TONS of water ..in fact I gave up diet soda so I have no choice. My stomach is rock hard, but I still dont feel the full benefit of the TT. Good luck to you and lets hope someone can answer our questions. Linda
Unread 11-29-2004, 12:42 AM

I don't know when it goes away ...I am six and a half weeks post op and still waiting.... I did not have a TT, (drat! couldn't afford it, though I needed it!) but a SAH, and my initial swelling was awful! It went down, and was doing ok, then last week, it ballooned up again, and nothing I do seems to help. If I did not have this painful swelly belly, I think I would feel pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2004, 11:08 AM

I will be 12 weeks post-op tomorrow (11/30) and finally, finally, my belly is starting to go back to normal. Not completely, but soooo much better than it was. For quite a while there I thought this would be a permanent situation. It does take a while. I think walking really helps alot, just don't overdo it. Add a little more walking each week. My doctor did tell me it would take at least 3 months before the swelly belly would start to go away. I read of women on this board who still get swelly belly after almost one year post op. We need time to heal. Just hang in there!!
Unread 11-29-2004, 01:56 PM

Carrie:

Glad you posted this. I have your same surgery date, and I too suffer from swelly belly. I hate it. It's jiggly, like jello. Maybe that's an indication that it's water, not fat!

I also had swelling all over when I came home from the hospital -- face, hands, feet. I couldn't even get a bra on because the area under the boobs had swollen up. What a miserable feeling!

I guess what I can say is the swelling already has gone down quite a bit. I can wear my jeans -- but not for long. When I get home, I'm right back in my sweats. And these are my "fat" jeans, unfortunately.

Let's be thankful for the progress we've made. I'm sure over time we'll get our bodies back.

What areas did you have lipo'd?
Unread 11-29-2004, 02:22 PM

I am 14 weeks PO from SAH and TT and I still have swelling. The more active I am the more I swell. A few weeks ago I tried to really up my workouts and I started back at my ab class. AHHH I thought I had ruined the TT I had so much swelling.

I'm now working out more moderately. I want this swelling to stop. It did get a lot better around 12 weeks. Hang in there. I drink a lot of water, but some days I forget and it doesn't seem to make much difference. Who knows! The body is finicky.

Good luck.....
Unread 11-29-2004, 02:30 PM

I hear alot of people saying that they also had a tummy tuck done with their hyst. I would like to know more about it because I am trying to get my insurance company to pay for it due to an overhang that constantly causes infections. Also sis two different surgeons have to come in for their seperate surgeries. Thanks for any info.
Unread 11-29-2004, 08:24 PM

My insurance did pay for my TT in full. I had a pouch from C sections that would not go away no matter what. My Dr submitted the info for prior authorization and they denied the procedure. I appealed and wrote a letter as did my Dr. I was approved 4 days prior to my scheduled TAH. I had the TAH first and then the PS did the TT. It took 5 hours total. I feel great...just the swelling that I mentioned above...not sure if its due to the TT or the TAH. It is a LONG process to get the approval, but it saved me over 5,000.00. This would have had to be paid paid up front prior to the surgery if insurance hadnt approved it. I would not have had it done at my own expense. The results are amazing...and I am still swollen. Good luck...I hope you get approved. Linda
Unread 11-29-2004, 09:38 PM

HI GALS!

Having worked for years with a Plastic Surgeon, the swelling thing for our TT patients went up and down...mostly due to increased levels of activity. As with any surgery, it can take weeks or even months (sometimes a year!) for all the residual swelling to subside. As long as there isn't any underlying issues, give it time. It was amazing how patients would suddenly, as if overnight, see drastic changes in their healing. We'd see it in intervals of 3 months, 6 months and 9-12 months. The average was 8 months. Even after having my "baby" and having a TAH (20 years later!), it took about 8 months before I wasn't feeling twinges or nerve pain everyday. It's now been 13 months post-TAH and I still have a few "tender" spots around the suture line where I can feel the lumpy scar tissue. I expect in a few more months that will change again, too.

Your new & improved bods will be here in no time!
Unread 11-30-2004, 05:04 PM

Judy Thank you for writing and sharing your insight. I had no swelling for the first three weeks then all the sudden every evening I swell, sometimes during the day. My activity hadnt changed a whole lot when the swelling started, but maybe I just didnt realize it. I have another question for you. Will the swelling compromise the TT results? Should I wear my binder when the swelling occurs, or doesnt it really matter? How long does the numbness usually last? Also ...how does one know if the swelling is due to the TT or the TAH? Thanx Judy...best wishes to you, Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register