How long till the swelling is gone? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long till the swelling is gone? How long till the swelling is gone?

Unread 12-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Swelling - don't do what I did!

I am 3 weeks post TAH-BSO and I am totally amazed at how swollen I am.

A friend asked me via email how I was doing and I replied, "I have a 7" gash across my abdomen and a lot of flabby, flabby skin on top of it. Picture that!" When I hit the send button, the message came right back to me and I realized I had sent this message to an entire listserv!! Needless to say, I will never live it down. One of the men on the listserv told me to blame it on the drugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2004, 03:30 PM
How long till the swelling is gone?

Hi Linda!

I had some swelling after my TAH but it didn't last that long. So, I'd suspect the TT is where most of the swelling is coming from for you. The work on the TT effected more surface and muscle area than the hysterectomy. Swelling can come and go for months! The numbness should resolve as the nerves start to regenerate but, you may have some permanent numbness in some areas. I'd hear of it usually at the suture lines. There could be a small area that stays numb but everything else comes back. It's hard to tell. When the nerves start doing their thing, you could get shooting pains and odd feelings. This could go on for 8-12 months! Just note if something is odd like swelling, reddness, pain that is constant, fever, etc. That could indicate a problem. Otherwise, it's just your body healing. Sometimes the weather can affect the swelling, sometimes being overheated. It's hard to know how long each person will be swollen but it's going to definitely take time.

As far as the binder, I'd ask your doctor. At some point you don't want to become too dependent on it but the doctor will know best. Gee, I should have thought of a mini TT with my surgery!

Unread 12-01-2004, 07:38 PM

Hi again, Cindy and all of my wonderful HSs!

Sorry it has taken me a while to post again.

I am so glad that you have taken the time to reply to this thread, and it is certainly encourging to know that there will eventually be an end to the swelling, even if it will likely take a considerable amount of time.

In my case, although I haven't weighed or measured myself yet, I think that I have lost some weight but not any inches in my abs since the surgery. I was expecting to have lost at least a few inches there given the mini-TT and lipo I had, but so far, I don't think that is the case, and I just feel swollen and bloated. I have an appointment with the plastic surgeon on Friday and with the gyno next Wed, so I guess they will give me their thoughts on my progress when I see them. I should add that the last time I saw the PS (a week and a half ago), he said everything was proceeding well so I am not really worried, but I do find it very hard to be patient after going through so much to get to this point.

FYI, Cindy, since you asked, the mini-TT was below the navel and the lipo was both above the navel and on the sides in what I guess we could call the "love handle" areas. (I wasn't a candidate for a full TT due to a scar from previous gallbladder surgery.) I have an overall sense of tightness now throughout which I understand is typical with a TT, but I can only see a discernable difference above the navel at this point, probably because there was so much work done in removing extensive endo and doing the SAH-BSO during a very lengthy surgery. That must have irritated the lower abdonimal area a lot and contributed to the swelling. At least, that is what I suspect is going on.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments, and I know we will all be happy when our swelling is history!

Best wishes and hugs to all of you. Your support is appreciated so, so much.
Carrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2004, 09:23 PM

I'm so glad to read all these responses. I'm 7 weeks today and was very discouraged at my belly this evening. I went to the gym tonight and that may have had something to do with it. But another thing I realized tonight.... Long before I had a 16 week uterus due to a large fibroid, I often would notice my tummy looked great in the morning and more poofy in the evening. So although I do have some swelling still, we have to remember that the way our belly looks in the morning is not how it will look in the evening - fibroid or not, surgery or not. My swelling isn't that bad, but it is frustrating. I feel like there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I worry, "What if I did something and it's the muscles healing the wrong way?!" But then I have hopes that in about 3 months, I'll look back and laugh at myself for feeling like it would never go away...
Unread 12-01-2004, 10:40 PM

I am so glad to hear that I am not alone with this swelly belly syndrome. I looked at myself about a week post op and was horrified at what I saw. I thought that I would be left with this forever and was mucho unhappy about it. Since drawstring pants seem to be the most comfy now I treated myself to a black velour warm up suit but was most upset when it accentuated the lovely post op belly. My DD was so encouraging and told me not to return it, to save it for when the swelling goes down. Now that I've read all of your stories, I feel so encouraged to do this! I've been drinking lots of uncarbonated drinks and today treated myself to a small glass of soda and my belly seemed more swollen this evening...I don't know if there is any connection. I also had my husband take me to the grocery store and to dinner after so it could have been the extra activity. In any case, today was a good day because I found the Hyster Sisters web site and know I'm not alone. thanks!!! Susan
Unread 12-02-2004, 07:40 AM

Hi, Carrie:

Wow, you really had a lot of work done! I'm jealous because I know you're going to look fabulous. You should start looking at bathing suit catalogues for your bikini for next summer!

Cindy
Unread 12-05-2004, 09:22 AM
Swelly Belly Thing

I had my TAH on Nov 30th, I was able to get into my regular jeans, today (only six days after surgery) but they were just a tad tight. Of all the stuff to deal with this swelly belly thing seems to be the number one thing we are all consumed over. I am disappointed to hear that it could take as long as a year to get rid of it. But on the other hand now that I know it, I will just ignore it and worry about something I have a little more control of. Thanks everyone for posting their experiences it has been so helpful!!! And alot less worrisome!!
Unread 12-12-2004, 01:26 PM
HEALING

They say God has a sense of humor, and sometimes in my life I really do get a chuckle. That being said, I'm still waiting for the punchline, or the wisdom, or the it-better-be-pretty-darn hilarious moment when years of terrible periods, fibroids, fear of cancer,emotional ups and downs, night sweats, nausea,etc.,etc. surgery and all the bizarre after effects is humorous or at least enlightening....or I return to "normal" or am as happy as Oprah turning 50. Sorry for all the complaining, but I'm not a very patient patient. Please send messages of good cheer. At least I have this website to feel connected to other women in the same or similar situation and that helps alot.
Unread 12-12-2004, 01:49 PM

Hi, Moey.

My sentiments exactly! I fail to see the humor in any of this either. I keep trying to "look on the bright side", and true, there will be no more excruciating periods, etc., but at over a month post-op, I am SO not where I want to be right now. I don't know about you, but in addition to the residual aches and pains (which are improving, I admit), I am getting persistent hot flashes/night sweats -- over 30 in one day when I bothered to keep track on Friday) and the mood swings would be laughable if they weren't so depressing. Since I am not a good candidate for HRT or soy products (having had severe endo), there appears to be no end in sight until my body decides to do me a favor and ease up, whenever that may be! (Vitamins and other acceptable supplements don't seem to be doing the trick... or at least they aren't yet.) :hair:

I know you were hoping for messages of good cheer, so I apologize for venting with my own stuff here. Anyway, rest assured you are not alone, and I, too, am just grateful that we have one another here at HS. At least we can commiserate with people who really do understand.

All the best,
Carrie
Unread 12-13-2004, 09:07 PM
thanks for how long reply from N.Y.

Hey Carrie, I was in such a bad mood; thanks for listening and responding. I never thought to count the hot flashes,night sweats, alternating with cold flashes. You seriously need to watch mindless T.V. right now. It passes the time and periodically allows you to either laugh hysterically or cry, both incredibly therapeutic. I'm fortunate that my kids and husband were already used to a perimenopausal madwoman....it just has been upped to a higher level. keep in touch and good luck; I'm a Jersey girl now, but I was born in N.Y.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register