going out of the house | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

going out of  the house going out of the house

Unread 01-05-2001, 08:59 PM
going out of the house

hi -- i had a tah w/a burch (sp?) procedure on fri., dec.29th. i want to go out and do Something -- go see a movie, get a pedicure, whatever, and my husband thinks i'm nuts. what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2001, 09:12 PM
going out of the house

Hi,
I had a TAH on 12/4/00. Besides going to the doctor, I didn't go out until I was 2 weeks post op, then I over did it. I rode in a compact car and felt every bump, I hurt for several days. If you feel up to it, keep the car ride short and keep your feet up, why not? Pedicure sounds good too, so long as you don't have to drive yourself and it's close to home. On the other hand, you may feel pretty good, but your husband might be reading you better than you are yourself. Take it easy!
Unread 01-06-2001, 12:05 AM
whoa nelly

When you are in recovery from MAJOR SURGERY sitting is an activity that puts stress on your internal stitches. Most of your time should be spent horizontal, feet up. Going out this early in your recovery will slow your recovery down. You might consider staying home on the couch, getting some takeout delivered and watching a video, your body will thank you for letting it rest and heal properly. I know you can go stircrazy laying around, but it is the best thing you can do to insure that you heal quickly and properly. This is your one chance to heal, you can catch a movie and dinner anytime. Sorry to sound like a grouchy sister, just trying to look out for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2001, 12:21 AM
going out of the house

Mollie - I have to agree with the other sisters...and your dh Kam's idea of getting video and carry out...is an excellent plan of action...but have dh go pick it out while you stay RESTING. Get the bed trays out and enjoy!!! Sounds like your dh is watching out for you. You're very lucky to have such a caring guy.
Unread 01-06-2001, 06:05 AM
at last! advice i can live with

just wanted to say thanks for the advice...i knew that dh was probably right, but i've always been the type that's on the move, so this is pretty hard for me. as the result of being so busy all of the time, i didn't take the time to really find out everything the tah entails -- i had No Idea that it would bring everything to such a complete stop for me! it's really helped to read over all of the advice on this site. my computer's been giving me fits lately, kicking me off whenever i got close to reading yr replies, so i was thrilled this a.m. when i was able to find the answers to my questions. i'm sure i'll have lots more questions, and it's sooo nice to know that there are some really good (even if it's not exactly what i wanted to hear) answers out there! thanks again, mollie
Unread 01-06-2001, 06:14 AM
going out of the house

Hi there! I had my surgery on 12/21 (a Thursday) and the following Saturday 12/30 I went out to lunch. The restaurant was ten minutes away. I was gone from my
home 1hr 40mins. I found this was plenty. I felt good going out, but was glad to be home. I definitely think sitting thru a whole movie plus driving there would be way too much. Even now I don't think I could do that.
I did go out to dinner one night and was gone 3 1/2 hours and found that too much.
Perhaps next Saturday you could try a lunch if you have a restaurant very close?
Start with very small steps. Have you even walked outside yet? I can't due to the ice and snow. I too am going crazy.
Maybe have a friend come over with lunch??
Pam
Unread 01-06-2001, 01:35 PM
going out of the house

I had my surgery in late september and found that after my busy pre-op life I was suffering cabin fever early on. My son asked me if I wanted to go and take in a mid afternoon movie and I jumped at the chance. I was about 2 weeks post op. I figured that since we have one of those new movie theatres with the spacious stadium style seating that I would be fine. About 20 minutes into the movie I found that I was getting pins and needles in my legs. I felt my stomach swelling up within the first 40 minutes because of gas (and who wants to let one rip in a public place and we ended up leaving before the end of the show. I was in bed in pain for the next two days. If you stay home and rent a video you can put your feet up, pause the movie if you need to and of course toot to your hearts content.
Hope all is going well in your recovery.

Pamela aka erratika

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register