Sometimes I feel really stupid! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sometimes I feel really stupid! Sometimes I feel really stupid!

Unread 11-29-2004, 05:46 PM
Sometimes I feel really stupid!

My surgery was Aug. 27, and I have been recovering pretty well, some days don't even think about the surgery. But, I am reallly having problemls with dry skin, hair, brittle nails, and fatique. I am so tired all the time, I can fall asleep sitting up while working at my desk. Yesturday, I woke up at 8:00 after going to bed the night before at 9:00. By 6:00 pm. I was so tired, felt like I'd been up all night and could have gone to sleep then but managed to try to stay up until at least 10:00.

I am so forgetful, even immediately after someone says something to me. Yesturday, after fiddling with my cell phone for 15 min. trying to turn it on (I've had it 4 months and use it everyday) I took it to my husband and told him something was wrong with it. He turned it on and I realized I had been pushing the wrong button on the oppisite side. Thank God, my husband is so understanding. He just gave it back to me with a smile.

Today, I washed my hair which is so dry and then sprayed a conditioner on it to make combing it out easier. I couldn't figure out why it was SOOOOOOOOO difficult to get through it, I couldn't even get a hair pick through...until I realized I had just sprayed "hair spray" all through it instead of conditioner. So I went to wash my hair again. My husband just smiled when I told him why I was washing my hair after I had just done it a few minutes before.

I could go on but I won't. But my "hysterectomy moments" (I refuse to say senior moments...aint there yet) are getting dumber and dumber!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2004, 05:51 PM

Sweetie, what you have is what I call "brain fog". I think the term is "aspasia" or something like that. I swear they took out part of my brain. I have read on here (and I started a thread a few days ago about this very thing) that it is due to the anesthetic. Although you may be having hormone issues. I'm 62 and used to the dry hair, etc. Theh memory loss is awful! Hang in there, there will be others posting to you, also.

Hugs..mary anne
Unread 11-29-2004, 05:54 PM

Hello

Don't feel bad about being forgetful. You are not alone. I had my TAH on May 7th and am forgetful too. I have no idea what causes it. I am 42 years old, so don't feel like it is a old timers moment yet.There are times that I can be looking at one of my sons and can't even get his name right.
My hair seems much dryer than before my surgery. I have to use conditioner on it much more than before. I have also noticed that my skin seems dryer and it itches alot. I kept both ovaries and they are working, so I don't think it is related to menopause.Maybe it is caused from the anesthesia. I had general anesthesia for my hyst. and my gallbladder surgery, which was Sept. 22nd. I hope this condition clears up.
I would rather experience these symptoms, then to be miserable with the flooding and cramps. LOL
Maybe one of our sisters will know what causes it.

Hang in there. It sounds like you have a very understandind DH.

Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2004, 05:54 PM
brain fog

I believe it is very possible to be hormone related. Those were the first questions the gyn asked me when I started on Lupron shots to shrink the fibroids. It puts you into a medicated menopause. He asked if I had hot flashes, trouble concentrating, memory problems and dry skin or hair.

Go on over to the Hormone Jungle and check out the Hormone articles too to see what you might be able to figure out.

's
Unread 11-29-2004, 07:48 PM

I agree that it may be lack of hormones. The forgetfulness and dry skin and hair-goes right along with low hormones. You may need to have blood work done to see what your estridiol, progesterone, and testosterone is. I already had been in menopause 3 yrs before my hysterectomy-blood work was done and my estriodiol was very low.
Unread 11-29-2004, 09:47 PM

Hi -
I've done some absent-minded things too and I know it can be frightening. Some things seem funny (why did I put the phone in the freezer?) but inside, I think what on EARTH? What's next? I feel like a dingbat. My mom laughs at me and says "Welcome to the Club" I guess we've been inducted in by circumstance, eh?
If you're going to ask your Dr. about your hormones you might want to ask to have your thyroid checked also.

I hope you feel better soon. Glad you have a nice DH to watch out for you. Also, don't force yourself to stay up just because you think you should. When you are tired you need to sleep. Lots of sisters say it takes 6mo. to a year to feel back to normal after this surgery. Listen to your body. (Except when it tells you to condition your hair with hairspray, of course

Take care,
Sistabeth
Unread 11-29-2004, 10:30 PM

Im wondering if the things you have mentioned could also mean that the thyroid is out of wack. Have you had your levels checked on that?
Suzann
Unread 11-30-2004, 10:19 AM

Thank you for answering my post. I'm really getting frustrated because it seems to be getting worse instead of better. I just drove up the driveway and saw two delivery men standing in my garage. They had just finished unloading our countertops. While my husband and one were signing the papers, the other stood in the doorway.

I pulled up along side the house and turned off the car. Then I have no idea why, but I reached up and pushed the garage door opener...to open the door. It was already open, and started to lower on to the poor guys head. He jumped out of the way and gave me a look I won't forget for awhile. I just laughed so hard and when I got out , just told him I was sorry about that and went in the front door. I was to embarrassed to go in through the garage.

I told my husband, he should just keep me home. He said why, you aren't embarrassing me, just yourself and smiled. I told him I'm afraid I might hurt someone.

I've gone beyond walking into a room forgetting what I was coming in for...like I said...it's getting dumber and dumber. Is anyone else doing things this stupid????

Thanksgiving day, my DDL was helping me with dinner and was looking for spices she needed in my cupboards. The whole family saw when she pulled out a brand new jar of goldfish food. I told them they were safe...it had never been opened.

oh well!
Unread 11-30-2004, 03:36 PM

LOL ~ Goldfish food! Now when she wants one of your recipes, and hers doesn't taste quite like yours, she'll always wonder what that *secret* ingredient is!

I know what you mean about being afraid you'll hurt someone. None of us want to cause an accident by pulling out in front of someone, or something like that. That's what I worry about. Do the rest of you have worries like that too?

Anyway, until the fog lifts... I think all of us need to get more rest than we do, especially going into the holidays. We feel more alert when we're well rested.

Take care,
Sistabeth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register