Personal Question about Odor | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Personal Question about Odor Personal Question about Odor

Unread 11-30-2004, 10:42 AM
Personal Question about Odor

OK, please don't be too offended, but I have really been wondering about this. I have noticed in the past couple years that my vaginal smell (yes, I do mean from the vagina not just the vulva) is so much yukkier ESPECIALLY when I am menstruating. I mean, it surprises me sometimes, honestly. What I am wondering is if any of you women have had any experience with the same thing and if a hysterectomy HELPED or WORSENED the problem. This is a serious post, even though it is pretty specific, I know. I have a urodynamics study tomorrow for the hysterectomy possibility, but this is one thing that I've really been wondering about. Thanks very much for any help. I swear sometimes I feel like maybe it's from having kids and having too much air in there...YIKES. Maybe I need to talk about THAT with the urology nurse tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2004, 10:59 AM

Hmmm... I wonder if it could be food-related. I always think about that first because I have migraines and there are alot of things I cannot eat/drink.

Do you use fem products/pads/tampons/sprays, etc., that are scented? That could be a cause too... Sometimes I would get the scented pantyliners by mistake (to wear at the VERY end of my lengthy, voluminous period), and even though I wore them for only a day or so, they never failed to irritate me.

I hope you find the cause soon so that you can feel - and smell! - better soon.

:dragon:
Unread 11-30-2004, 11:00 AM

Oh, and speaking of food... they say yogurt is real good for you, but EVERY single time I have eaten it, I get a yeast infection... go figure.

:dragon:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2004, 11:11 AM

The last couple of years I had a pretty awful smell before my period for about a week or two and during it. It seemed to get better before the hyst, maybe because I was closer to menopause, but I still noticed it. It would go away when my period ended. After hyst I don't notice it at all, even though I think I still feel pre-menstrual this week, because my boobs are hurting. So the smell must have been coming from the uterus. It kind of smelled like old dried blood.
Unread 11-30-2004, 11:12 AM

I didn't find my pre-hyst "scent" unpleasant at all, but I have noticed since surgery that it is MUCH more NEUTRAL. very vague....... I sort of miss it.
Unread 11-30-2004, 11:17 AM

Have you been checked for a bacterial infection? A yeast infection is pretty easy to determine but bacterial vaginosis......or whatever its called can easily be mistaken for something else and can go on if not treated. just a thought!!!
Unread 11-30-2004, 11:20 AM
Odor..

I can say that before hyst. I had a strong odor about 10 days before period. It seemed to go away after. Since hyst. I still get an odor, but it seems to be after I have sex. It lasts about a day or so after? I am a very clean person, so I do not know what it is? Any suggestions? I can smell it, I hope no one else can!! I seem to sweat more down there too, maybe this is a factor? Angel
Unread 11-30-2004, 11:33 AM

Sister I hear you, for me it used to be very strong, now there is no odor at all, and I'm glad becasue it used to bother me, and I'd hide it with perfume or babypowder.
Weird that you brought it up, because i was just thinking about that the other day .
Unread 11-30-2004, 11:37 AM

Hi all,
Odor can come from hormone changes, but I can relate to NEone I noticed the oder got worst durng my periods. I was not sure what was causing it. Nothing showed up on any of the test I took until I had a D&C 5 weeks before my Hyster. The path report came back showing a chronic infection. The doctor said it was from the heavy bleeding I was having. I beleive the oder was from the infection.
I have found that all my body smells have and are changing since the surgery. Some not to bad some I wish it wasn't me.

Hope your urodynamics study helps.
Unread 11-30-2004, 11:43 AM

Well, I am glad I am not the only one, then, dealing with this. It isn't food (although that is wild that one of you GETS a yeast infection FROM yogurt!) and I don't use any scented products, and I don't use tampons. It is partly from the blood, I know, but how come now that I'm in my late forties it is so much different than the previous twenty five years? That is what is wild. As for any kind of bacterial infection, you wouldn't expect to see (SMELL!) it some of the time but not others. You know, like if you had gardnerella or trich or something, you'd have a certain kind of discharge, which I don't, and you'd have it all the time, not just around your period. I swear it is from cavernous crotch. LOL.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register