What Next? Mammogram scare | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What Next? Mammogram scare What Next? Mammogram scare

Unread 11-30-2004, 11:10 AM
What Next? Mammogram scare

Hello hystersisters,

I had a routine mammogram last week. After they got done squeezing me in that machine and taking pictures of my squashed breasts, I was told to sit in the waiting room until they checked out the films to make sure they got what they needed.

Within a few minutes, the tech came in and said they wanted to get another picture of the left breast, so back to the squashing machine I went. Then another person came and said they wanted to do it yet again! By this time I was getting concerned, but the tech said something vague about sometimes a person will breathe or move just as the xray is being done and it causes a fuzzy picture.

I got a call yesterday from them saying they wanted me to come back this friday and have a doctor review my films with me and get an ultrasound of both breasts. Of course now I am frantic.

When I found out that I had to have a hysterectomy, but there was no cancer, I felt like I had dodged a bullet. Now this.

My poor husband. His younger sister (38 yrs old) just had a breast removed due to cancer last month. It would just crush him if I turned out to have cancer also. And if I do have breast cancer, I will definitely tell my gyn to take my ovaries also, healthy or not!

Thanks for listening. It's good to have a place to express your thoughts and fears, and know there are so many others going through the same things.

Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2004, 11:23 AM

Hi CatEyedRose,

Please try not to think negatively about the doctor visits. It may be that the doctor wants to test everything before coming to a conclusion. Worrying just causes more stress.

I'm in Newark, also! Small world.
Unread 11-30-2004, 12:34 PM

Hi Rosalie Have you talked with your own DR yet about the mammogram results? Your DR (the one who ordered the mammogram) should be able to get copies to look at and discuss with you.

Were you told what they thought they saw? Was this your first mammogram, or was there a change since your last one?

As we get older, lumps and bumps, including calcifications and cysts, are pretty common. An ultrasound may show that it's nothing at all to be concerned about.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer earlier this year, and had a lumpectomy. I'd had a hyst over two years ago and have been on HRT since then. I had no symptoms, but a suspicious pattern of microcalcifications showed up in the mammogram that hadn't been there the year before.

We have a section within our Resources directory which has tons of information about breast health:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=14

I'd encourage you to browse through there... there are many links about diagnostic techniques including mammography and ultrasonography of the breasts.

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry about something that hasn't happened yet. Most times, these things do turn out to be benign cysts, adenomas or benign calcifications. Cancer cells appear in our bodies with alarming regularity, and our immune systems manage to knock them down... only rarely do they get past our defenses and grow.

Think positive thoughts! Let us know how the ultrasound goes, OK?

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2004, 02:23 PM

Hi,

I had to have a repeat mammogram and ultrasound two months before my hysterectomy in 2002 when my very first mammogram came back abnormal. (I was 39.) I had called to schedule my hysterectomy, and while I was on the phone, the nurse asked me if I had received the notice about my mammogram being abnormal yet. Of course, I immediately freaked out then and there.

I was so scared during the ultrasound that I almost hyperventilated and fell off the table. The tech had to keep reminding me to breath.

The repeat mammogram and ultrasound showed a density in one area, so the surgeon gave me three options. He could either go in surgically and take the suspected area out and biopsy it, I could have a large-core biopsy, or we could wait 6 months and do another mammogram. I chose the large-core biopsy, as I didn't feel that I could just do nothing for six months.

The biopsy itself was quite an experience in itself. But, thank the Lord, everything turned out okay and was negative.

From what the doctor told me, most suspicious mammograms are nothing but normal dense breast tissue, and the vast majority of them are negative. My last mammogram was normal, and I have another scheduled for next week.

The whole ordeal is terribly frightening, isn't it, no matter how much you try to convince yourself that everything will be fine, and no matter how many other women have gone through it before you. But it really is a pretty common occurance. I wouldn't worry. It's probably absolutely nothing.

s,

Lisa
Unread 11-30-2004, 03:40 PM

Hello Sisters,

Wow! Thanks to all for the info, encouragement and support, and for sharing your own experiences.

Lion and Lamb~~it is a small world! Nice to meet someone from my area on here. You're right, worry just causes more stress, but I can't seem to help being a worry wart lately.

No, I haven't talked to my family doctor yet about the mammogram, but will call her tomorrow to see if she can shed some light on what they found~~if she has gotten a copy of the results yet. This was my second mammogram; the first one was done in the mid 90's.

Thanks so much for the link to breast health info Linda! I just scanned through it, but will look in depth later. Will send to my sister-in-law too, she recently had a mastectomy of one breast.
I'm happy for you that your cancer was caught early and that a lumpectomy took care of it. What a good example of the importance of keeping up with routine mammograms!

Lisa, sorry you had such a scare, but glad it turned out to be nothing. Thanks for sharing the feelings and emotions you went through. I will try not to hyperventilate during my ultrasound

Thanks again to all,
With sisterly love,

Rosalie
Unread 11-30-2004, 11:02 PM

TRY NOT TO WORRY I HAVE TO GET A MAMMAGRAM AND ULTRA SOUND EVERY SIX MONTHS I'M 32 HAVE HAD ONE BIOPSY AND IT WAS BEIGN TRY NOT TO WORRY TO MUCH IT'S SCARY I KNOW BUT I THINK WORRING CAUSES MORE LUMPS AND BUMPS
JAMIE
TAH/BSO 12-2-04
Unread 12-03-2004, 02:59 PM

Hi Sisters,

I went for my follow up for my abnormal mammogram today. The radiologist showed me the little spot in the middle of my left breast. It looks like a little white pencil point, that's how small it is. He said he thinks it is a small calcification and we will check it in 6 months again to see if it has changed.

I'm a little freaked out, because that is exactly what my sister-in-law was told. Then 6 months later, it did turn out to be cancer, and had spread to lymph nodes etc. She had to have her breast removed and it going through chemo starting yesterday! In her case, though, she had found a small lump herself, and went to have it checked out. I can't feel mine at all.

I think I will request my gyn or family dr. to send me for another mam in 2 or 3 months just to be on the safe side.

In any case, if it does turn out to be something, at least it will have been caught early when still small and hopefully not spread anywhere.

Whew, things get scary when you get a little older! I feel sometimes like an old car. As soon as you fix one thing, another part goes bad, lol.

Thanks for listenin' sisters dear.

Luv,

Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register