Came out of surgery anemic | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Came out of surgery anemic Came out of surgery anemic

Unread 11-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Came out of surgery anemic

I'm a bit moody today so bear with me. I had a LAVH/BSO almost two weeks ago and am still very tired and certainly not up to shopping at the malls or even leaving the house yet. I lost a moderate amount of blood due to extra large veins coming off my uterus. I guess they were suppposed to be spider like veins. Anyway, my doc has me on Iron and has told me I'd feel like this for awhile. My DH and kids are great! I couldn't ask for better support But today I am blue and have a headache. (sigh) Is there any hyster sister out there that's gone thru being anemic on top of just healing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2004, 01:17 PM

Hi Marcie,

This is a tough time of year to not feel good isn't it? I was also very anemic when I came out of surgery. I had been anemic for so long I didn't remember what it was like to feel 'normal'.
If you take your iron and drink lots to help replenish your blood supply you will improve quickly I would think. It also helps to look for the iron rich foods that you like and eat a lot of them. I love spinach salads so had them regularly. I am happy to report I am feeling 100% better and have been for several weeks.
You may need to recruit some help with your shopping or do most of it on-line. I am glad to hear you have some good support.

Take care of you and I hope your day brightens up. Maybe a good movie would help.

s, Rita
Unread 11-30-2004, 01:21 PM

Hi Marcie, I was very anemic BEFORE my surgery back in 2000 due to long, heavy visits from Aunt Flo. Was very surprised how much better I felt once I healed. Of course that took about 4-6 weeks. This time around, I am very tired but the blood work looks pretty good. I think it's as combination of being older, doing maybe too much, and not sleeping well at night. Just remember, you have gone through major surgery. Your body needs time to heal. You didn't say if you are on HRT or not. Maybe that is part of your overall fatigue. I am getting out and walking when the weather is cooperative. I am also allowing myself time to rest and heal. Everyone on this board says the same thing with regards to healing................you only get one chance!

Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2004, 01:37 PM

I forgot to mention I'm on the Vivelle-Dot .025. So I'm wondering if the headache is due to adjusting to it. This is my first day not taking pain medication. I usually need a darvacet once or twice in 24 hours and 800 mg of Ibuprofen every 12 hours. But the pain's not that bad today. So maybe part of this mood is hormonal. I hope the patch works as I wasn't very good at using Prometrium before surgery. I'll keep drinking fluids, eating more iron rich foods and REST, like a good little hyster sister should Thanks everyone!!
Unread 11-30-2004, 03:40 PM

Hi Marcie:

I don't know anything about HRT (I have my ovaries), but I do know about being anemic. Were you given a transfusion during/after your surgery? I donated blood for myself (2 units) which they gave me after surg...

Another thought about the Iron...if you are taking supplements, you know they can bind you up. If you take Vit C, that will help the absorption, along with helping to keep you regular. So will your stool softeners, if you were given some to take at home.

I do hope you are feeling better soon.

:dragon:
Unread 11-30-2004, 03:41 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention...that the blood transfusion helps with the anemia... it helps bring all your "levels" back up, I believe.

Unread 11-30-2004, 03:45 PM

I was very anemic after my surgery, too. And I haven't started my iron yet because I've had so many tummy/BM problems, but since those are getting better (a little) I should try the Slo Fe now. I know how you feel, tho - the anemia really wears you out!
Unread 11-30-2004, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the Vitamin C suggestion. I'll add that to my list of meds Even though I use the Slo Fe, I also have a stool softener and use Dulcolax if I go very many days without a BM. But I have managed to do my duty without the laxative, too, which makes me happy LOL!!

My doc didn't want to give me a transfusion for some reason but had me on the Iron as soon as I left the Castle. Did any of you have headaches from coming off the pain medications? I went all day without taking anything but the headache was tremendous tonight so I just took a Darvocet. The headache's died down now. Night's are tougher than the days so I was expecting to take something. Thanks for your help!! So being anemic will be slow going. (sigh) Okay
Unread 11-30-2004, 04:15 PM

No, being anemic will not be slow going...it is just one more step in your recovery. Now that you don't have those awful periods to drag you down, I am sure you will see improvement very soon... I also know that - depending on how anemic you are - it can take about a month to get "normal" (gee, who wants to be THAT??!!) again.

Keep your chin up. All the way up.

Unread 11-30-2004, 04:16 PM

I have always been a frequent headache sufferer - in fact, I take meds to prevent them! Something that can happen when taking pain meds is a "rebound" headache - your body will actually make itself have a headache to get the pain medicine! Not sure if that is true with all pain meds - I know it happened with the meds they gave me for headaches, which have acetomeniphin (sp?), caffeine, and a barbituate in them. Has anyone else heard of this? Can it happen with any pain meds?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register