Came out of surgery anemic - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Came out of surgery anemic Came out of surgery anemic

Unread 11-30-2004, 04:18 PM
Came out of surgery anemic

Hi there, I had a TVH on November 16, 2004 and was anemic before and after surgery. Also I had a rough time with the narcotics and found that I was allergic to all meds that break down to morphine, which did not leave a lot of options other than Ibuprophen.
I took the iron pills and was recommended to cook in an iron skillett. My iron levels are slowly going up. I take MOM for constipation and have found it to be a God send. I hope your recovery goes well. Remember to rest and don't over do it. You will have good days and bad days. I do not know about the HRT end of this as I was able to keep my ovaries, but I have had several women at my place of employment tell me about an oil that absorbs into the skin and keeps them feeling normal. If you are worried that the HRT that your MD has given you is not working, call him.

29 had TVH on 11-16-04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2004, 04:19 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention (I'm kinda foggy today...sorry)... that yes, I did get headaches coming off my Percocet and Naproxen. For me personally, I get rebound headaches (I have migraines)...and my neuro said that if you tend to be one of those people who get headaches (of any type), rebound headaches are caused by too much meds (of any kind, even over the counter), caffeine, etc.

He told me that if I take meds of any kind 3x per week or more, I get a rebound headache, because the brain cannot distinguish what kind of med I'm taking, etc.

So yeah, I believe getting headaches coming off meds is common.

:dragon:
Unread 11-30-2004, 04:20 PM

Hey Texas....looks like we were typing at the same time.

Yes, you are right about the rebound headaches...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2004, 04:25 PM

Unread 11-30-2004, 06:28 PM

Hi Marcie

I know all about being anemic. I bled heavingly for a very long time, before I finally got my sorry hiney to the doctors. My blood count was 5.5 , which is very critical. I had to have a 3 unit blood transfusion a week prior to surgery, so I would live. It and 3 chromagens a day brought my count up to 9.7 right before I went through the double doors. After out of surgery my count was down to 6, so I know my dr. was right that I wouldn't have lived through surgery without the transfusion first. I lost about 400cc's in surgery. My dr. could have transfused me again during surgery, but chose not to. I had a terrible reaction from the transfusion I had and had to be taken to the ER by ambulance. My body was trying to reject the new blood, because it was so used to functioning on a very low supply. That was a scarey 9 hours in the ER.
I am now about 7 months post op and have more energy than I ever have I think. I don't need to take iron pills as my level was up to 12.3 in September. I will be sure to donate blood at my 1 year mark from the transfusion. I continued on iron pills until I was 5 weeks post op. My count was 11.7 at that time.
From what I've read alot of our pre op anemic sisters took a while to regain their strength, but are doing great now. I gained tons of strength after my transfusion, so I went into surgery feeling better than I had in years.I think you will be wonderful in a short time. Be sure to eat those foods high in iron. I loaded up on spinach too.

Good luck and I just know you will feel energized shortly
Peggy
Unread 11-30-2004, 07:30 PM

Thanks everyone You all got me thru a very rough day. I have a feeling the headaches are rebound headaches as I get them easily even using the over the counter pain killlers. Hopefully the system will adjust soon And I have to say I already feel better than before surgery. I sleep through the night without feeling that uterine crampy feeling with no period. ugh!! So I'll look at the brighter side of this picture And by the way, Bluedragon, you've got such a cute dragon!! Don't you all agree
Unread 11-30-2004, 08:15 PM

I was also anemic pre op and took feosol 3 times daily. I would take it with orange juice since vitamin C aids in absorbtion. My Dr also told me to take magnesium if I became constipated which I would occasionally...so I took the magnesium every other day....it really helps! My anemia was Im sure due to the heavy periods lasting 2-3 weeks with only 2 weeks off in between. I was so tired ALL the time. I would get up in the AM and have my morning coffee and read the paper and would fall asleep after being up for less than an hour....it was horrible. I also started to get sleepy when driving which was scarey. Since my surgery I am much better. The sleepiness is now for different reasons since my iron is better, but I am now B12 deficient...so I am taking B12 daily. Things could be so much worse...I am not complaining at all, just thankful to be thru with Aunt Flo. Good luck to all you iron poor tired princesses. It will get better! Linda
Unread 12-01-2004, 12:45 AM

Sorry to hear you are feeling blue. Being anemic is certainly not the most helpful in the feel good department!

Have you spoken to a dietician about how to best absorb iron into your system. I found that very helpful. Taking vitamin c at the same time as your iron, or when eating iron rich foods is supposed to help with the absorbtion. It will take some time for your levels to rise, so I guess you just have to keep taking it easy and be patient.

I was anemic pre op, and 3 days post op was given 2 units of blood because my level had dropped to 6.8. Fortunately they have said that I can try not taking Iron supplements as I found them more debilitating than the anemia.

Good luck and take care of yourself.
Unread 12-01-2004, 09:52 AM

Hey Marcie:

When I created my screen name here, I had not yet seen the smilies... since I was born in the Year of the Dragon, that has always been a theme with me...I have a few crystal dragons in my writing room, etc. And blue is one of my favorite colors, so...

When I logged on for the first time and saw the smilies, I thought it was an interesting coincidence...so there you have it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register