Books we read as children | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Review It!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Books we read as children Books we read as children

Unread 12-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Cool - Books we read as children Books we read as children

I recently re-read some books I read as a child:

Pippi Longstocking, by Astrid Lindgren: I enjoyed it as IMMENSELY this time, as I did when I first read it as a child! Love the attitude of this girl...always did. Nothing gets her down...she lives life like there's no tomorrow, is strong, smart, witty, wealthy, and I love her hair! I relate to her sorrow over losing her father but, unfortunately, wasn't as pragmatic about his death as she was about her father's.

A Necklace of Raindrops, by Joan Aiken: Another story that I clung to for the father figure of the North Wind. I loved this story, and purchased a copy of the book for my personal library.

A House with a Clock in it's Walls, by John Bellairs: For some reason, I thought I had read this book, but when I read it during my surgery recovery, I couldn't remember a bit of it! A great story, nevertheless. I like stories about ghosts, witches, magic, etc.

Now, to get my hot little hands on a copy of The Egypt Game, by Zylpha Keatley Snyder...I want to re-read that, too.

:dragon:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Books we read as children

what a great idea to re read some favorite books. i would like to re read "The wind in the willows" and also the "cronicles of narnia" and maybe even "Alice in Wonderland"

jane321
Unread 12-01-2004, 02:39 PM

Oh yeah! The Chronicles of Narnia...what was that food...Turkish Delight? I read the first 2-3 as a child, but never finished the set (6 total, I think?). Definitely have to revisit that!

I have a copy of the Wind in the Willows, but I have not yet read that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2004, 02:48 PM

Ah yes, The Wind in the Willows. Our mother used to read to in the evenings and I remember that one especially. She was in her comfy chair & we sprawled out on the rug at her feet.

Charlotte's Web, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, The Door in the Wall, Isabel the Itch, Harriet the Spy, and a book for wonderful poems for children by Dorothy Aldis called All Together. Loved The Borrowers, too. Wow, I guess I could go on & on. So many good children's books out there!

Fun thread idea!
Unread 12-01-2004, 03:15 PM

charlottes web was one of my favorites too. I was quite a reader as a child. my mom and i used to go to the library every week. i so looked forward to it. now i still read but have to find the time. unfortunately i only read 2 books with my recovery. first week i couldn't concentrate and third week i was back to work.
jane321
Unread 12-01-2004, 03:47 PM

Oh yeah, Roald Dahl...the only book I've read of his was several weeks ago...I read The Witches. Funny!

Unread 12-02-2004, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bluedragon
Oh yeah! The Chronicles of Narnia...what was that food...Turkish Delight? I read the first 2-3 as a child, but never finished the set (6 total, I think?). Definitely have to revisit that!

Seven books, I really think that's why Harry Potter is going to be a series of seven.

The final book of the series _The Last Battle_ is rather somber, better read as an adult than a kid.

Oh, and Turkish Delight, a soft sugary sweet is just wonderful!
Unread 12-02-2004, 02:09 AM
Oh, and the children's book I remember most is...

Too Many Sisters.

Made me who I am today.
Unread 12-02-2004, 08:17 AM

Haha Did anyone read Judy Blumes books on how to become young ladies? I remember the one, Are you there God, it's me Margaret, in which she waited and waited for her period, and finally it came!! Everyone was so excited because Margaret got her period....Perfect to read now when we are all missing poor Aunt Flo so much....NOT!!! Woohoo.....It is funny now....I remember waiting and waiting also. Now I am waiting again....But for a good thing!! Anyone who did not read it really should get it. You will get such a kick out of remembering those days......

Hugs
Kat
Unread 12-02-2004, 09:40 AM

Oh yeah! Judy Blume. I read most of those growing and maturing books. Loved them!

And when I woke up this morning, I remembered Nancy Drew, as well as The Phantom Tollbooth.

I have never heard of Too Many Sisters. I'm gonna have to check that out. I like re-reading these books...I get funny out of the corner of their eye looks from people on the bus. hahaha...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register