I have to bring it up again.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have to bring it up again.... I have to bring it up again....

Unread 12-02-2004, 08:47 AM
I have to bring it up again....

I know that this topic may have been posted before but I'm going to vent a little bit....

Why is it that "other" women that aren't faced with the decision of having to have a hysterectomy always say... "oh! can they do one for me too or it would be great to not have another period." Maybe it is just because they don't know what else to say but I'd rather hear nothing than that. It's more than just "not having another period." Anyone else get this from people they know or work with?

Oh, and there is this woman that I work with that will be taking on some of my responsibilities while I am out and she took it upon herself to tell others why I am going to be out and what type of surgery I will be having. I am pretty open about my situation but I would rather be the person doing the telling...

(I'm getting nervous, 4 more days!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2004, 08:55 AM

I know how you feel. I have always been a very private person and before I knew I had fibroids, I was having bleeding in my navel (endometriosis). I was even upset that my brother and sister-in-law were told - mainly because the very first thing they said to me was "oh, how are you feeling?"

I too prefer to tell people myself - and choose those that should be told. You really should point out to your co-worker that she overstepped her boundaries. People like her probably will never change, but maybe pointing that out might cause her to rethink next time she opens her big mouth.

Good luck to you! Try not to be too nervous these last few days. You'll be on the road to recovery before you know it. I had a TAH and have had little to no pain afterwards and am doing great!

Joyce
Unread 12-02-2004, 09:27 AM

I chose not to tell anyone at work! I openly shared with my church friends and immediate family (mom and sisters) and a couple of my wonderful neighbors and that was it!

I am a very private person at work because I simply don't really like the people there beyond the work we do - oh well! I found that those I did tell were very respectful and haven't been intrusive.

I am 2 weeks post-op and I feel very well! My God has supplied all my needs and an abundance of healing. You will be fine just be prepared to live your life in the slooooowwww lane for a few weeks. It's great to have home-cooked frozen meals in the fridge. I've been able to just pop them in the microwave and enjoy. Last night, however, I felt good enough to broil some trout and it was lovely!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2004, 11:49 AM

I used to always think about how nice it would be to never have another period too before I was faced with my problems. I have always had long, heavy periods. Now I know why. But I always said that I wanted a hyst so that I wouldn't have another period. So I understand where those women are coming from, but I don't think they need to be saying it to you now that they know your situation is nothing like theirs. But people always want what others have (or don't have).

My coworkers are trying to talk me out of it. I don't know why. He hear me complain about it all the time. I always give them the updates on how long I have been bleeding at one time (the record is 5 months straight). You would think that they would be happy not to have to hear about it anymore. But I guess not.

Good luck! Hope everything goes well for ya.

Tracy
Unread 12-02-2004, 12:05 PM

I think that people sometimes make cracks like that because they are nervous, and don't know what else to say. Also, secretly EVERY woman wants to get rid of her girlie problems, even if it is "just" her period...you know what I mean?

But I disagree that anyone has the right to discuss your health/surgery, etc., with others without your knowledge and permission.

I am sorry that they are being insensitive to you...

:dragon:
Unread 12-02-2004, 02:29 PM

byoung925,
I used to think the same about never having another period after 9 years of heavy bleeding. The first 5 days of my cycle were so heavy, I was afraid to leave the house. Then it would start and stop for weeks. But I would never tell someone that I was jealous like a friend of mine said to me. But as insensitive as that statement was...I had a medical professional in the hospital tell me that I shouldn't be upset about having a hysterectomy because other people are worse off than me. I am sure there were ladies worse off than me, but when I got the diagnosis that I had endometrial cancer, I was upset. It was hard to control my emotions and I could not help looking upset. I still can't believe that a medical person would say that!
Unread 12-02-2004, 04:19 PM

Kiki:

Jeez... its kinda like the children starving in China, or wherever. I'm real sorry about that, but my cleaning my plate doesn't address the issue of their hunger in an appropriate manner.

Likewise, with the being worse off thing...yeah, I know there are (unfortunately) LOTS of women out there that are worse off than me. There are alot of women BETTER off than me, too. At the end of the day, where are we? Still here with me feeling like garbage...so let's get to fixing me.

Some people ARE really insensitive. I am sorry that you had to go through that Kiki - ESPECIALLY from someone who SHOULD be more sensitive to people who are ill.

:dragon:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register