Stitches and sex | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stitches and sex Stitches and sex

Unread 12-02-2004, 03:18 PM
Stitches and sex

Ok... I have a "weird" question. I've been reading that internal stitches take a LONG time to dissolve. I agree with that, because I can feel them inside me. (with my finger) I'm almost at 6 weeks post-op and if all is good on Monday, I'll ger the "go" for sex.

My question is this... Won't those stitches scratch my husband's "stuff" if we have sex? I'm sure he'll be able to feel them and I don't want to weird him out.

If anyone has been through this, please let me know.

You can stop laughing now..... hehehehe....

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Stitches and sex

At six weeks your stitches are disolved. Mine were at my 4 week post op appointment. What you may be feeling is just the cuff. There are lots of folds up there now and with the lack of a cervix no resistance when you feel up there. I don't believe your husband will be disappointed. heck the fact that he is getting some so soon should make him happy! Some ladies have to wait several months before having intercourse.
I must admit you are very brave for even checking up there. I was so nervous even after the doctor had a look. When I did it felt a little like a zipper but was smooth and that goodness there was some extra room.
Good Luck and have fun, I'm almost ready.
Unread 12-02-2004, 06:12 PM
Might be a stitch-or?

You really don't know if your stitches are dissolved until the doc has a look. My doc told me he used some stitches for my rectocele repair that take 4 months to dissolve because he wanted it extra supportive.

You may be feeling something else too-like granulation or a stitch that won't fall out. I had one on my abdomen under the first layer that had a knot sticking up, and it didn't fall off for a long time.

You will know more after you have it looked at.

Good Luck with your appointment, and feel free to ask the doc anything you wish-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2004, 06:20 PM
Stitches and sex

I'm at 6 weeks and the remnants of a dissolvable stitch came out two days ago. Go figure. Had sex to celebrate and I can tell you that for me, it was better than before, and I had no complaints before. Good luck...
Unread 12-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Stitches and sex

Maybe my doc used longer lasting stitches, because believe me... they ARE stitches. You can feel the ends of them sticking out. There are still MANY in there. I guess I'll just have to ask my doc.

Has sex been better for many of you out there, or is that rare?

Good night....
Unread 12-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Stitches and sex

Zaniest1,

I know what you mean!!! I'm well over 3 months now and I STILL have stitches!
I was given only a yellow light at 10 weeks because I have granulation. Dr. said he preferred to leave it alone rather than use the silver nitrate unless I have a lot of bleeding & we should take it easy & stay shallow. He didn't tell me what was up there, tho!

Between 3-6 weeks post-op I did find some soft suture material now & then... But what's still in me isn't soft by any means!!! It's several sharp, pokey ends that feel like knots made form nylon fishing wire!!! DH has been very gentle as to not hurt me, but if he gets a little carried away they can get him.

Hope they're not there much longer- maybe these are 4 monthers like PrairieLakeLady said. Good luck with yours. Let us know what you find out, ok?
Unread 12-03-2004, 02:29 AM
Stitches and sex

I'm sorta envious reading this thread. I mean I lost my libido somewhere at the Castle. I am 2 wks preop and I've been in bed reading some steamy romances and not one twitch on my parts if you know what i mean. I have given my hubby some assistance in other ways (though curiously my body didn't even pitch in except to give me a hot flash) I swear to god everytime my hubby touches me he triggers a flash

I can't even feel my vagina. Or the little guy in the boat. I'm so curious too. I want to feel around but something keeps telling me NO. It's funny cuz it's my body but i don't feel anything below the waist except the itching of the incision and sometimes needles when I pee. I hope the next 2 wks of recovery starts something twitching downstairs. Because, i'm a little worried frankly.

I love sex. I have a very graphic mind. I loved my girly parts a whole too. So when will I know I have a vagina again, much less even feel like investigating the stitches up there?
Unread 12-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Stitches and sex

Hi Angelvons~ Some sisters post that they have an incredible surge of desire as a fresh post-op, but just as many, if not more, experience a lack of desire &/or response. Your girly parts might just be thinking "We still need rest - come back later!"

It's good that you're not tempted to explore for stitches. Nothing goes there until you're given the okay by your dr. Some docs allow external stimulation, while others suggest 'pelvic rest'. Even if your dr. gives you permission to try to wake up "the little guy in the boat" try not to worry too much this early on. It's certainly normal to be curious about how things will be.

A lot of sisters have said things are fine right away and a lot say it's a gradual return. So, you're still normal, even if it's not normal for you. Does that make sense?

I had the same experience as you with hotflashes brought on by intimacy. I think DH thought it was a funny type of compliment to him altho I needed space away from his body heat! Told him my hormones were trying to get their groove back but were still all mixed up! I was HOT! But not the right kind of *hot*!

Take care,
Sistabeth
Unread 12-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Stitches and sex

Hello Sisters!

I just want to add a note about stitches. Don't be freaked out if you pass some stitches out of your body after having intercourse! I read a post on here about that a few weeks ago and I was sooooo glad I had! After my 6 week check with my dr. I passed some stitches. It was, of course, the first time anything had touched the vaginal cuff - my dr.'s gloved finger I mean. After the exam I had to use the bathroom and lo and behold if there weren't these little 1" skinny pinkish colored "worms" in the toilet!!!! I didn't know what to think - I was a little upset about it! That night after DH and I had intercourse for the first time since my surgery I again had a couple of those skinny little "worms" on the toilet paper after I wiped. Suddenly it hit me!!! These are stitches!! I never showed them to DH but described them to him. He laughed and said yes, they were stitches. He didn't feel them inside of me but he has had lots of orthoscopic surgery and is very familiar with stitches.

So, ladies, if you find skinny little "worms" in the toilet or on your tp - you have not been invaded by a parasite! (which is what I almost started to think!)

On a side note, does anyone know how long I can expect to have tenderness, bordering on pain, at the vaginal cuff during sex? I am almost 10 weeks post op so I've been having sex for a month now. Depending on the angle or position I find myself in, it can hurt when DH hits the vaginal cuff. It's nice to have my regular sex life back so I don't think I want to hear that if DH was more gentle or if we just used the traditional position I wouldn't feel any pain.

Thanks, ladies! Good luck and good healing to all!!!

Kimberly
Unread 12-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Stitches and sex

Hmmm, now I am wondering... I just had my 5.5 wk post-op appt yesterday and after doing a pelvic exam he said I was healing well, but still lots of stitches healing in there. No sex for another 2 weeks. So I wonder why he said that and others here are allowed to have sex even with stitches in there still?? Hmmm...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register