incisional drainage...seromas | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

incisional drainage...seromas incisional drainage...seromas

Unread 12-03-2004, 05:21 AM
incisional drainage...seromas

Dear Sisters...At day 7 post op, I experienced a difficult time being on my feet at all and walking deteriorated to a slow shuffle. At day 9 my incision drained thru 3 pairs of clothes until I got smart and put some guaze where I was draining. Day 10 & 11 drainage slowed down. Day 12 no drainage, day 13 started draining again. Did not have a temperature. Called Dr and went in to find out I had developed 2 seromas where the lidocaine catheters were placed. The only reason I didn't seek medical help sooner was that my DH is a nurse and said that as long as the fluid was draining and I didn't have a temperature, I would be ok. The Dr told me that my incision shouldn't be draining, opened it up, and cleaned it out. He said women with a bit more fat pad in their abdomen commonly have this complication. The drainage seems to have slowed down now, but the pain is still there. I am walking a bit better now. Today is Day 15. Anyone else with this problem, and how will it affect my recovery. Will I feel better soon. I am busy person and find it almost painful to watch others do my work for me. I so want to feel better. Still taking Percocet for pain along with Advil. Awaiting cultures to see if this is truly an infection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2004, 05:53 PM

I hope you are doing better. Did you get the culture results?

Unread 12-20-2004, 06:26 PM

Wow, I didn't think any one cared? Thankyou. Yes the cultures came back, and I saw the Dr initially, 2 days later, and 1 week after that. At the 2 day mark cultures were still not in but the 1 week mark to intial treatment they were negative. The Dr said my incision had closed in at both sides. I was instructed to clean it with peroxide and a guaze. Stopped that and now I am back to cleaning my incision as I noticed some crustys. Both those spots are still sore. Dr says I am not that over weight and was surprised I developed them. Told him the lidocaine sites always hurt. I am thinking they caused the pockets to develop. I go back Jan 7. I am using a heating pad that helps. Wondering when this pain will end. I am only taking Advil now and am trying not to overdo this holiday season. My 6 year old keeps me busy. Bending and being on my feet are still bothersome. In the back of my mind, I am always left wondering if the seromas are still an issue. No drainage though, just crusties, and pain that isn't any worse than normal. This stuff always keeps you guessing, but I am so tired of Dr copays & Er charges, had 2 visits. If it isn't draining and I am not running a temperature, I will persevere and hope it resolves. Thankyou for your concern. Happy Holidays!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2004, 07:48 PM

My OB basically told me (not in these words but meant the same) He wouldnt do an abdominal op on me because I was to fat and there would be too much drainage and stuff because of the fat.

It was a little harder but he did an TVH kept ovaries.
He had a hard time getting it out because my uterus was so big.
Unread 12-20-2004, 07:54 PM

Sandwoman,

I am experiencing the same thing. I seem to have drainage about every third day. The first time scared the heck out of me. At first I thought I wet my pants. It soaked through my undies, sweat pants, sweatshirt and bed linens. Fortunately I had a DR appointment that day. She said it was more normal for people with a vertical incision to have that (I had a bikini incision), but to not worry. Just keep the incision clean and take it easy.

I am 4 weeks out and still have occaisional drainage, but fortunately it's getting less and less. I still freak out whenever it happens. I think I won't really feel like I'm on the road to recovery until it stops permanately.
Unread 12-21-2004, 03:08 AM

Hi Sandwoman,

I am realy sorry I didn't see your post before, but sometimes posts slip past so fast that I can't keep up unless I'm on here 24/7

I had a seroma develope at 2 weeks post-op from the site where I had my drain in place, I had to visit the home nurse everyother day and my DH was changing my dressing 2 or 3 times a day. The dressing that stoped it was called Aquacel. (I have a bikini cut and I am overwieght )

My DH also came up with the brilliant idea of using my old panty linners over the dressing for extra absorbancy and as they stuck to my pantys they didn't move around .

It took about 9 days for it to stop and my wound is now totaly closed, but I too still have pain where the drain was (I even complained about it when I was in the Hosp) I have been told by my Dr that this will lessen with time and go away compleatly within 2 or 3 months. I must agree with her that it has gone somewhat, but I do still get discomfort there.

I do hope your seroma dosn't come back and that you continue to heal well. s
Unread 12-21-2004, 05:37 AM

Thanks sisters...I was starting to think I was the only one with the seroma problem. Yes my Dr also told me I probably wouldn't feel great for at least 3 months. Sometimes wonder if I am destined for all the bad luck! But I see you all have had a share of it too! I guess when complications arise, they delay our healing. I will try to be patient and avoid the bending and extended time on my feet, along with much walking as that all seems to aggrevate the problem. I sure would have loved to hear the idea about the pad stuck to underwear as I just stuck guaze in my undies. Great idea. I am just gonna keep an eye on my incision, went in ol c section and hope I don't spike a temp. He did say that the ol scar tissue doesn't heal as well. Thankyou all for your replies, I was hesitating writing posts as I was starting to wonder if it was the content or the way I posed the questions, that I never got any responses. Guess I just figured no one else was having the same issues. Glad to hear it is not just me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register