6 Weekers -are you going back to work soon? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 Weekers -are you going back to work soon? 6 Weekers -are you going back to work soon?

Unread 12-03-2004, 01:08 PM
6 Weekers -are you going back to work soon?

Just curious.

Don't have my 6 week appointment until next week. If you've had your appointment, what kind of feed back did you get from your doctor? How do they decide if you're ready to go back to work and when do you plan to start?

What will the doctor want to know about how you're doing?
Is some discomfort normal at this stage and if so, what kind?
What about spotting at this stage?

Also, what about exercise and other activities?

Sara

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2004, 03:48 PM

Hi, Sara! This was my experience - I was cleared for "everything" at 6 weeks. I asked if that included lifting heavy (40-50 pound) bags, and she said yes.

Your Dr. may tell you something different, though - that's the most important thing - to listen to YOUR Dr. about YOU.

I returned to work half-time after 3 weeks, and was full-time after 4 weeks. I did have a couple of days when I just had to go back home early, though.

My discomfort was a heavy achiness in the whole abdomen, which I still experienced as late as the fifth week. And that's how long I had spotting, too. Again, every woman is different, so this may not be how your recovery goes.

I was VERY careful not to do anything I wasn't cleared for - in fact, some things I was cleared for (swimming and cycling) I actually waited another week to do. Mr Dr. thought I was ready, but my body didn't agree!

I hope this helps! Take care!

Jan
Unread 12-03-2004, 04:36 PM

Hi Sara,
I had my 6 week post-op yesterday and my dr. said she was very pleased w/ my recovery. She could still see some vaginal stitches but said that sex would still be ok. Well, we'll wait a bit longer for that if I still have visible stitches! Anyway, I don't have my normal amount of energy back and feel achy in my lower belly if I'm running errands, etc for too long. I work 3 mornings a week as a preschool teacher. I have 18 kids and I was not released to go back for 2 more weeks. Actually, I was glad because I was concerned that I would get over tired w/ that many kids. Now, I won't go back until after the holidays, hopefully more fully recovered! I still haven't vacuumed yet or started back exercising, but probably will next week. Happy recuperating!

Donna
44, TVH for prolapsed uterus and bladder tack-up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2004, 04:58 PM

Hi Sara,

Thank you for your reply to my message yesterday. It really, really helped.

We share the same surgery date! I knew before I went in to see my dr. that I needed to stay off until Jan 3rd. My work shuts down between Christmas and New Years and I this would give me 8 1/2 weeks off plus the week of the shutdown. It just made sense to me. Plus, I went into my surgery just exhausted and stressed to the max. So...when I saw my dr. I told her I was getting better but my energy was still very low and my abdomen is still very sore. She knows my recovery has been slow and was very empathetic. When she did the internal exam I was very, very sore just below the belly button to the right and she said that is the top of the vagina. This made so much sense to me. So, she said while I was healing well I still had some time to go. She didn't mention anything about stiches (wish I'd asked!). She thought Jan 3rd made a lot of sense - for work and sex. I actually think we could probably have sex before then, but feel she is protecting me and giving me the time I need to truly heal.

I think our society in many ways does not support our taking care of ourselves, especially women. A large part of me feels guilty as this is putting a large burden on the people who work for me, but at 48 I have learned (the hard way!) that our health comes first.
Without our health, well...you get the picture! So, I am putting myself first for the first time. Listen to your body and be open and honest with your doctor. I've also learned that we are all so different in our recoveries. This is what I've had to do for me but I celebrate those who can go to work earlier.

Take care,

Shelly
Unread 12-03-2004, 05:45 PM

I just came home from my 6 week appointment. I told him that about 3 days ago I realized I feel completely normal. Until I rolled over wrong in bed last night. Now I feel like I did 4 days ago

I brought him a list of things and asked him what can I not do:
Biking
Hiking
Backpacking
Hoeing, raking, shoveling
Pruning
Morocycle (too late! I rode it to the appointment.)
Lifting - when, how much
Vacuuming

He said just do what I'm able and ease into the harder things. He asked when I wanted to go back to work. I said NEVER! But I'll go back Monday.

Voila! All better, I guess.

Did anybody notice I forgot to put sex on the list? I wonder what that means?
Unread 12-03-2004, 07:25 PM

Hi, Had 6 week appointment 12-1. Was given the release to go back to normal with my lifestyle. Dr. advised I can lift again, but to just be careful and don't overdo the lifting. (my granddaughter was my concern there) My exam was simple, stated that I had two or three more stitches to come out, but everything looked great. He upped my HRT as I was having some hot flashes.
My recovery was great. I never spotted, but i hear that is normal and not a worry. After my second week, i felt pretty good, but continued to rest, and took very good care of myself. I wrote a little list of questions I had for the dr. which came in handy. (you may want to do that) I can go back to work, have sex, and excerise again. I can only speak for myself, i never had any futher discomfort from the two week mark and stopped all meds at the 9th day.( Looking forward to getting rid of the swelly belly
Best of luck to ya,
take care
Unread 12-04-2004, 12:55 AM

Hi Sisters, I guess I'm still eating your dust, but you give me hope and it's fantastic to hear you're doing so well. My first post-op checkup is Dec 21, so I don't have any official news about anything. Did you have your blood checked at that appointment? I'm curious to see what mine would be.
Sara - to answer your questions, no to the spotting since day 5 or so, but I do have a very touchy sore AB. Clothing hurts to the touch, but better than before. Felt like it was on fire last week.
Today I went grocery shopping for the first time since...Every shopping basket in the whole place looked like a weapon of mass destruction aimed right at my AB! I couldn't wait to get out of there, but of course it took me forever (like an hour) to do 20 min of grocery shopping.

And, I had never had any swelly-belly at all - until today. I had really dreaded that trip. I knew that would happen, knew I wasn't up to it, but the helpers were all away... No real harm done, so I can call it progress.

joano
Unread 12-04-2004, 08:32 AM

Hi Joano!

You apparently have no more space to receive private messages. I wanted to reply about the iron.

Unread 12-04-2004, 09:07 AM

Hello!

I was 5 weeks on Tuesday; had my follow up appointment Monday prior to; I was released to do "everything"; however he said to use my judgment on amount of time I stay at work; lifting and that kind of thing.

I went back to work on Tuesday of this week; five weeks post-op. I worked a half a day, then a little longer Wednesday; then until 4:30 on Thursday and over-did it. Friday I helped the kids with the trash (carrying bags to the curb) ok, bad judgment. LOL

I was home by 11:30 yesterday, feeling yucky! Some discomfort in the lower abdomen and a little twingy feeling...if that makes sense? Anyway; took it easy the rest of the day; in bed by 9:30 and feeling much better this a.m.

My recovery has been awesome; no spotting, no sleepless nights; no hot flashes... HRT since the hosp seems to be working. The Dr. was most concerned about sleeplessness as that appears to be fairly common. He said if it started to call and they would go up/down on the HRT at that point.

Anyway, just my two cents worth; take care of you and listen to your body; as one of the other posters said; I feel guilty by putting so much work on others at work, but I only have this one time to get well after this surgery, and now is the time.

Michele

Unread 12-04-2004, 09:09 AM
clothing irritation

Joano,
I too wanted to reply to you, but couldn't figure out how. regarding your concern for clothing irritation - i hated wearing underwear for weeks after my surgury, and i swear i am still alergic to bras! my remedy, since i am staying either at home or close to home, is to wear loose fitting pants, velourish type stuff with no underwear! this felt a bit weird at first, but i got used to it. now i am able to wear my jeans again, which i save for when i go grocery shopping, etc, with undies, but oh boy, when i get home i change and the undies (and bra) come right off!

best of luck:dance2:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register