rectocele question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

rectocele question rectocele question

Unread 12-04-2004, 04:44 PM
rectocele question

Hi sisters

I have another question concerning rectoceles.
Is it normal when you have one to feel like you need to have a bm, even if you just had one? I have been in to the restroom I know three times in the last hour. I keep feeling pressure and feels like I need to go again. I feel like a ripping sensation up inside of my rectum and boy does it hurt when I try to go. I had some blood come out of my vagina today at work when I was trying to move my bowels. There wasn't much, but never thought I would see blood coming from there again.LOL I also have a little blood on the t.p. when I wipe. Any ideas?
One more thing. Did any of you have a defecograph taken to see if you had any other rectal problems? I am supposed to use a enema before I have my EMG in Ja. The problem is, I can't get any enama fluid to go into my rectum. What should I do? I am sure I will need to uyse one before my defeco. test in two weeks.
The joys of having medical problems!! Still better than bleeding to death.

Thanks for any input.
:candy: :candy:
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2004, 07:26 PM
rectocele question

((((Peggy)))) As I mentionned before, it's been almost 4 years now since I delt with my rectocele, so I honestly don't remember if I had that feeling of "not being done" that you have But I do think that you should mention these new development to your doctor. When you're dealing with these issues, one month can feel like forever

About the enema, did your doctor specifically order the type of enema that you have to do through the rectum? Because there other enemas that can be done orally, either in pill or liquid format. Concidering the problems you're dealing with, that may be the best method to use

Sending tons of s your way. Hopefully you'll feel better soon.
Unread 12-04-2004, 08:02 PM
rectocele question

i had no symptoms with my rectocele...i did however, after my hysterectomy, have the sensation of not completely emptying/always feeling like i had to have a BM...upon examination by my GYN it was discovered a hemmrhoid was what was causing that sensation.
You seem extremely worried by the fact that you have a rectocele..its not a life threatening problem to have so try to ease your fears of what might be in your future regarding tests/treatment/prognosis/etc. I had no problems after my rectocele repair other than the hemmorhoid and some slight discomfort when sitting that only lasted for about 3 weeks.
good luck with your upcoming dr appts and with treatment.
remember its important to not allow yourself to get constipated; make sure youre eating a high fiber diet, taking in plenty of clear fluids, taking a daily stool softener, and it wouldnt hurt to add a bran supplement (oat bran, psyllium, etc) to a bowl of high fiber cereal in the mornings
stay well
diana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2004, 07:18 AM
rectocele question

Peggy, you really are suffering, you poor thing

I have had a retocele twice and have felt the continuing urge to go to the loo, but never any pain and def not any blood. I don';t think it is your rectocele that is causing these probs.

Do go back to your doctor and get sorted out. I have tried to send you pm msgs but they say your box is full.
Barbara
Unread 12-05-2004, 08:23 PM
rectocele question

hi

First of all I want to say sorry about whining.I really don't mean too. I am usually a very upbeat person, but this hyst has really wore on me over the months. I thought after the surgery I would be 100% healthy and it didn't turn out that way. Sometimes I really don't know how many more medical problems I can take.I am usually a strong person and will suck it up for now.
I had the colon transit test last week and will have the defecography test on the 17th. That should give me some answers. The waiting is the hardest part.I think whatever is going on in my rectum is combining with the rectocele symptoms and making things worst. I know whatever it is can be fixed either by medicines, diet or surgery. Whatever I need I know I will come through it ok and become whole again.
I won't post on this subject anymore. promise.I am really sorry about being such a whiney butt.

Peggy
Unread 12-05-2004, 09:59 PM
rectocele question

Peggy,
I am having rectocele repair with my TVH and bladder suspension on Dec. 21st. I have experienced the same symptoms as yours (feeling as if you have not finished a BM and a feeling of "fullness"). Be very careful with straining to have a BM! I ended up with an anal fissure last year due to this. A fissure is a tear in the rectal opening (anus). It can be a very serious thing which may require surgery to repair. I was lucky and bine healed in about 6 to 8 weeks while using a topical beta blocker.
If you are feeling fullness, it may be that you have fecal matter that has not been expeled and is trapped in the rectocele. I was sucessful at getting this small amount to empty by placing a finger or two in my vagina to brace the rectocele. You will be able to feel a small bulge on the back side of your vagina. You can bear down (gently) while pressing against this area.
Sorry this is so graphic but I feel your pain! Hope this helps. If this is not successful, you may be feeling hemmoroids.
By all means talk to your doctor!

Here's hoping you get some relief soon!
Colet
Unread 12-06-2004, 08:34 AM
rectocele question

Thanks Colet

I may already have a anal fissure of some sort. When I try to go I always feel a tearing sensation up inside on my left side. The pressure in my rectum is bad when I sit on the toilet and really feel the tearing sensation. I have had more blood on the toilet paper after going.
I saw the practioner in the colon rectal office on the 24 th of Nov. she said I have skin tags (which blow up) and tight splinchers. whatever that means. LOL I will have a EMG test in her office Jan 12th.
I am not sure what dr. to talk to. I hate to put medicine way up in there if I don't know for sure what is going on.
I do have to push on the inside of my vagina or the outside between the vagina and rectum to empty the pouch out sometimes. That seems to help. I know straining can make the problem worst.
Thanks Colet. I am glad somebody understands.

I know it will get better.
Peggy
Unread 12-07-2004, 06:12 PM
rectocele question

I felt like I always had to have a BM before my rectocele was repaired. Post-repair I haven't had that sensation unless I actually have to go. It didn't usually hurt before I had the repair, but maybe that was because I was "splinting" and also using a small syringe with water to ease the way. Believe me, at that point I was willing to do anything!

I've been absolutely thrilled with this repair so far! I have a pigskin graft in there, and while it was painful at first, I've had no more BM issues. I still have some trouble sitting, but it's only been four weeks and it gets better every day. My surgeon says once I heal completely I will have no lifting restrictions -- which is good since we have a small farm and there's lots of lifting!
Unread 12-07-2004, 06:23 PM
rectocele question

Hi Jane
thanks for the positive reply. My dr. said the repair can end up making sex hurt, but I have nothing to lose and alot to gain. Sex already is uncomfortable. Just to get rid of the bm problem would be a blessing.
I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!

Peggy
Unread 12-07-2004, 08:34 PM
rectocele

The symptoms you describe sound just like a rectocele. That's why I had my hyst 3 years ago--which resulted in a cystocele, rectal prolapse, enterocele & bi-lateral rectocele. (What a surgeon...)
One thing that may be happening to you, though, due to the bleeding, is that you may be experiencing total pelvic floor collapse. That's what I've got. The structures splay, and then the entire floor comes down. If this is what you've got, the defecagrahm will be worthless. I was given one by a dr., and it did not show a thing. I went to a colo-rectal surgeon who specializes in total pelvic floor repair, though, and he sent me for a cystodefecagrahm, which showed it ALL. I was never given an enema for those tests--you just drink barium then they squirt barium goo up you, etc.
The WORST thing for youto do is to strain when defecating, though. Then, you can stretch the fascia and the long muscles then things stop firing, and you are left with very few options.
Good luck. If you find out you need total pelvic floor repair and you want the name of the group who does this, and have a good track record, I can send it to you. I think there are only two places in the country that do this kind of surgery. The one I visited is in Portland, Oregon.
jjim

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register