rectocele question - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

rectocele question rectocele question

Unread 01-08-2005, 05:06 PM
rectocele question

If you think that you have one, I would go see a colon/rectal surgeon. It may get better, stay the same, or get worse.

You don't want to be straining during BM's, you will probably get hemerrhoids.

I would NOT wait a year for an evaluation.
You need to make sure that you are healthy, so that you can enjoy life!!!!

Marcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2005, 03:37 PM
rectocele question

There is a very good webpage at the Magee-Womens Hospital in Pittsburgh that describes all the pelvic organ prolapse conditions. See URL:
http://www.mwri.magee.edu/urogyne/prolapsetype.htm

I have been recently diagnosed with a rectocele. Please everyone don't stop posting to this thread. Those who have had this type of surgery give me your advice. I'm not sure whether to have rectocele repair surgery or not. I'm young (46) and some doctors say go for it, and others say wait for some new techniques in the future. I've only been putting up with it since December 26, 2004. Nice Christmas present , eh?

I have to splint to have a bm. (For those who don't know what that is - you put your finger in your vagina and push toward your rectum). I have really increased my fiber intake since acquiring this condition. It is somewhat difficult to deal with at times. And at other times I think I can live with it a few more days.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from those who have had this type of surgery. How successful it was for them. What the surgery was like. What the recovery was like. What the pain was like. Is there sexual disfuction afterwards. Yes, give me all the gory details.

Your girls did this for me here in 2002 & 2003 when I was going for my hysterectomy and bladder lift. If it wasn't for some of you I wouldn't have known about my hyster-sister belly pillow to take to the castle. I clutched that pillow for months and months. Sadly, I lost it in a hotel. But, it was there when I needed it. Hey, and maybe wherever I left it someone else found this website and the help I found. Hmmm... I wonder....

Anyway, please send me your comments about rectocele repair.
Unread 01-17-2005, 04:46 PM
rectocele question

In the other thread I suggested you wait, but if you're splinting maybe you're at the point where you're ready for surgery.

I found it to be quite painful for the first week IF I walked around at all or tried to go without my pain meds. As long as I took my meds and stayed in bed I was OK. After that it was difficult to sit for several weeks.

I'm not having any trouble right now other than I am still on stool softeners. We've only tried intercourse once, and if you read my journal (the snow entry) you can see what happened there. I've been nervous about trying again.

Otherwise I've been very glad I had the surgery. No more splinting! No more bloating! It's great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2005, 04:46 PM
rectocele question

Hi, I havent had the rectocele surgery ,but i do belive i have rectocele prolapse ,when my dr. checked he said it wasnt that bad yet and to take a stool softerner. And Get checked Yearly. I have had mine since May-2004 . I like the Idea of new techniques, I Also would like to know about the Rectocele prolapse surgery.
Unread 01-17-2005, 05:11 PM
rectocele question

My rectocele/enterocele repair is scheduled for Jan. 25th(1 week away). I see a urologist tomorrow because my urodynamic tests showed I also have stress incontinence and need a urethra suspension. I will see what the urologist thinks my treatment should be. I plan to have the other surgery even if the urologist is not avaliable. I will deal with that later if I have too. I can't stand the BM issue much longer.I am not leaking urine at this point, only did when I exerted ALOT of pressure during the urodynamic test.
There is a chance I may need anterior repair too. The anterior wall has pain during intimency with my DH. I will see what the gyn has to say at my pre op appt. Wed.
Wish me luck. I feel this will finally be the end to my long journey.

Peggy
Unread 01-19-2005, 08:44 PM
rectocele question

Wishing You Good Luck with Your surgery The 25th , will be thinking of you. Oh i wanted to ask you what is Enterocele?I never have heard that term before. How long dose this surgery take?
Unread 01-20-2005, 03:00 AM
rectocele question

Lei
A enterocele is when some of your small intestines bulge down through a sac into your upper vagina.It seems to be coming through the area where your vaginal cuff is.
I am hoping this will be the end to a very long journey. I have had constipation problems for years and just the straining finally took its tole. I had a bowel impaction at 4 weeks post op and really had to strain to be able to clear out. My dr. thinks this is probably when these prolapses occured.
The message I need to get across to all of our new sisters is DO NOT STRAIN!!!!!! IT can cause problems.

Peggy
Unread 01-20-2005, 07:51 AM
rectocele question

mtdeweg,I know what you mean about straining . Thank God For Stool softerns! Let us know about Your recovery .Wishing YOU Good Luck With Your Surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register