Question re Operative Reports & Hospital Records | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question re Operative Reports & Hospital Records Question re Operative Reports & Hospital Records

Unread 12-05-2004, 12:09 PM
Question re Operative Reports & Hospital Records

Here's one I don't think I have seen on our beloved HS boards before.

I read that it was a good idea to get a copy of my operative report, so I asked my gyno for one and got it on Friday. (The surgery was on 11/10.) Her report covered her part of the operation and then mentioned that after two hours, she called in an oncologist to work on the extensive endo they found. (Thankfully, there was no cancer, but he was much more skilled at the required tissue dissection in critical areas than she was.) At the same time, I had a mini-TT and some lipo done by a plastic surgeon, and, of course, there was the anesthesiologist, but there was no mention of them in my gyno's report.

Since there were 3 surgeons and 1 anesthesiologist involved, my question is how many operative reports would there be? And, if there is more than one (as I assume there must be), would they all be on file with the hospital?

Finally, are we, as patients, entitled to get a copy of our hospital records? I realize there may be a fee, but I would like to know what our rights are legally, in case anyone out there knows.

Thanks again for sharing. You are such an extraordinary source of knowledge, comfort and support.

Take care and be well,
Carrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2004, 12:38 PM

All your reports are going to be at the Hospitol. Along with the hand written ward notes etc... from every person who had ANY contact interaction with you re: your care! Nurses clerks Dr. etc....
You have the right to request and receive your ENTIRE hospitol record. There may be a delay for copy reasons as it would take time. You can also request an appt. in order to read your records but this is with some one in the office with you as you read them. Me I just go as soon as I am ambulatory pay my copy fee and pick them up when called.
I will tell you this is a wonderfull way to get information re: questions you may have.
Also in my case it confirmed my suspicions that I was medically assaulted during surgery by the anethesiologist!
hope this helps. These pertains to the CALIF but I think it is a federal right.
Tish
Unread 12-05-2004, 12:54 PM

There should be an operative report for each surgeon who performed a procedure. My general surgeon gave me my op report and it only covered the bowel surgery. My OB will give me the op report regarding my hyst. The anesthesiologist will not have an op report, but there will be anesthesia records on file.

You have every right to your hospital record. You just have to get in contact with the hosptial's medical record department and they will let you know how to go about getting it. You will probably have to sign something and there will probably be a fee involved, but it is your property.

Hope this helped.

Erin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2004, 01:26 PM

Here's a link to a great discussion about the legality and the reality of accessing your medical records:

http://www.cancerlynx.com/records.html

My DRs have given me copies of my surgery and pathology reports immediately, at no cost, upon my request. However, it doesn't always work that way and the facility where you had your surgery should provide them to you (at what they consider a "reasonable cost" ) in that case.

Hope this helps!
s,
-Linda
Unread 12-05-2004, 02:21 PM

I received copies of the surgical report and pathology report from my OB/gyn. I just had to sign a HIPPA form to myself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register