2 weeks tomorrow but grocery run was difficult! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks tomorrow but grocery run was difficult! 2 weeks tomorrow but grocery run was difficult!

Unread 12-05-2004, 04:45 PM
2 weeks tomorrow but grocery run was difficult!

Two weeks tomorrow and I've been feeling really good. Usually taking a Motrin 600mg at night before bed and no real pain to speak of.

Thought I was ready for my first drive to the grocery store today - not really! It was a long walk from the parking lot to the store and I forgot how much walking is required up and down those long aisles! Seemed like everything I needed was either out of my reach or on the bottom shelf, so I had to do a lot of stretching and bending (and asking for assistance). Pushing the cart back to my car over the bumpy asphalt felt like some cruel test of endurance!

I came home and after my DBF unloaded everything and put things away, I took a 1 hour nap. Got depressed and cried over this, feeling like some 95 year old woman, but I just have to find some patience and give myself a break.

Can I buy some patience on eBay?

Hope everyone is well!
Joyce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2004, 05:06 PM

MikeFan,

Please be careful. I did some similiar things you did when I was in my first couple weeks of recovery. I always ended up sorry and would have to rest.

I heard we are not supposed to push grocery carts, we may think they are good to lean on, but really we end up pushing way more weight than we should.

I am at 5 weeks and still need help. Please take it easy on yourself, we have restrictions for a reason.

I should take my own advice.

Anomis
Unread 12-05-2004, 05:48 PM

i made the mistake of pushing grocery cart 8 days post op had to go to store before my parents took me home. They were parking car and I did not think anything of it. I was in so much pain ouch ouch I still shudder when I think about it. Yes the grocery cart is too heavy and you can strain pull things in there as you have hundreds of stitches on inside that still need toheal.
so take it easy.
teresa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2004, 06:14 PM

If it puts things in perspective, I'm 7 weeks post-op, and I just got back from the grocery store, POOPED! My daughter pushed the cart, loaded and unloaded it, put the groceries away, and still I was in slow motion throughout the whole experience. I shuffled down each aisle like I was in a bathrobe and slippers!

Mind you, I spent the better part of the afternoon stringing up my outdoor Christmas lights...but I should have listened to my body again. It's the same voice every time. ("GET HORIZONTAL! FIND A SOFT PLACE! YADA, YADA, YADA!!")

I remember that feeling at 2 weeks post-op, stranded in aisle 7, wondering how I was gonna make it to the dairy aisle, lift a gallon of milk, and somehow make it out to the car and then put the groceries away. It seemed like climbing Mt. Everest. What was I thinking??!

Every week you will be able to do more. But not much! Patience is a virtue!
Unread 12-05-2004, 06:33 PM

i forgot to mention use the electric carts and if they are not avaialalbe find a store clerk tell them your situation and they might do the shopping with you. Idid that at two weeks post op i had a cane so that helped. It was nice to get there help. And I think most stores try to help customers.
I hpe that tip helps.
It gets better. It took me the better part of six months to feel close to par.
so hang in there.
teresa
Unread 12-05-2004, 06:40 PM

Hi Joyce,
we are two weekers together :-)
Must confess to thinking about driving today. But my physio said no driving until I could stamp my foot HARD without pain and do a very fast twist without pain. Mmmm, not passing that test, could do with a few things, but know that I absolutely couldnt do the shopping alone...i get whacked walking to the mail box......my son is a learner driver so might get him to take me today.

Im with you on the pain relief just at night now.

Take it easy...you have only just begun to heal, and my mantra after discovering the hyster sisters.

YOU ONLY HAVE ONCE CHANCE TO HEAL. sends me running for the horizontal position every time I am tempted to be a martyr and do more than I should.
Unread 12-05-2004, 07:38 PM

GREAT ADVICE FROM ALL YOU SISTERS!

Yes, if today's grocery store experience accomplished one thing it was me realizing I still need help and I still need to allow myself a lot of time to heal.

I was going to make some appointments and try to get back to work this week, but now I've decided to wait a while. Even though I can sit and do web design easily at home, even that can be tiring.

Thanks for all the comments and for really putting things in perspective for me. I'm doing so well that I don't want to mess anything up!!!!

Cheers,
Joyce
Unread 12-05-2004, 08:13 PM

Well i had ds drive me to the supermarket, because he is a learner we had to park MILES away from the entrance....he's still working on parking lol....
only did a couple of isles but now I hurt!! havent taken day time pain relief since last week, but am about to now......
Unread 12-05-2004, 08:55 PM

it took a long time for to do the grocery store and be ok. I loved those electric carts having a cane in the cart kept people from thinking why is she in one she don't look handicapped. I used the cane so people were aware that I was not ok. This has nothing to do with topic but I remember I had to go to my two week post op on the bus I didnot have the cane then. People were rude to me I had to beg and plead for a seat. One guy tried to push me off the bus as I was too slow. I said something. Not to mention I was in tears by the time I got to drs as I Hurt so bad sitting up and the bumps and turns. One thing I learned was you never knew how much you used your ab mucles til surgary.
Just remember this takes to heal from the six to 8 weeks is initial. Give yourself time and you will feel good in due time. Everyne is different.
I am almost back one hundred percent.
But I allowed myself the pampering even when others did not understand.
take care and pamper yourself.
I am glad to encourage and help if I can
teresa
Unread 12-06-2004, 03:31 PM

I too tried to grocery shop at 2 weeks - what an experience! Do NOT over do- your body will surely let you know!

I am 4 weeks post op today, and this is my first day back at work. I thought I was ready to be back at work, but a nap would be so wonderful right now, and I only have a desk job! Im looking forward to the end of the day, my jammies and a nice soft chair and blankie to curl up with!

I agree that we should take very good care of ourselves and not overdo simply because we are used to being supermom/superwoman/superwife. There is much to be said for being a pampered princess, even if you have to do the pampering yourself!!!

Take care of yourself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register