Anyone have rectocele repair with TAH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have rectocele repair with TAH? Anyone have rectocele repair with TAH?

Unread 12-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Anyone have rectocele repair with TAH?

Hello, I'm scheduled for an abdominal hysterectomy and rectocele repair on Jan. 13th. The oncologist who will do the hysterectomy has done a nice job explaining that part of the procedure. However, the GYN will repair the rectocele and he isn't a talker I ask questions and still don't end up knwing a lot. I know he goes in via the vagina and uses cadaver tissue to repair it. Other than that his insight was limited to telling me I wasn't going to like it very much.

Has anyone had the rectocele repair and can tell me a bit about what to expect during recovery... how bad, how long.

I find it most dificult to not have a clear idea of what to expect.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2004, 10:16 PM

It sounds like you are having a graft-enhanced rectocele repair. They are supposed to have better long term results than a standard repair, especially for women that have trouble with constipation.

I had mine done four weeks ago with a TVH. It was painful for the first week, but except for one time when I forgot to take my pain meds the pain was controllable. Four weeks later I still find it difficult to sit. My doctor says it will take another two to four weeks to heal enough so that will be comfortable.

Am I glad I got it fixed! Heck yes!!! I was very concerned before surgery because I didn't know exactly what to expect. It's no picnic, but the results are worth it.
Unread 12-05-2004, 10:37 PM

Thank you Jane. It is a comfort to hear you being upbeat Are the inital BMs painful or uncomfortable?

I feel kind of silly being worried about this when I'm hardly concerned about all the major remodling that will be going on with my hysterectomy. My one real concern there was how being overweight might affect the healing but I've found other posts here that have eased those fears.

I'm so glad the internet and this site are here for us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2004, 09:54 AM

My doctor had me do a bowel prep before surgery, and after surgery I was on stool softeners and a mild laxative. The first BM was not real comfortable, but wasn't agonizing either. My doctor says I have to be extremely careful not to get constipated in the first three months, so I am on an exciting regimen of stool softeners and metamucil. If I think there's even a hint of constipation I have a laxative to take, but fortunately I haven't needed to use it much.

I don't blame you for worrying about this, but I think it won't be as bad as you're imagining. The very worst part is trying to think of things to do either standing up or lying down since sitting is out of the question for a while.
Unread 12-06-2004, 10:12 AM

Here's a link to a page that describes the rectocele repair in detail. However, you should know that it comes complete with pictures and photos and may be too graphic to look at prior to surgery. One of my coworkers wanted more detail on the surgery and I showed her this site. She didn't eat her lunch that day.

http://www.urogynecologychannel.com/lap_proc10a.php
Unread 12-06-2004, 05:35 PM

Jane, thanks for the link. I find it much easier to move forward with something unpleasant when I have a clear understanding of it. It's not hard to see why this will make sitting a chore!

Would one of those doughnut pillows make sitting easier? Maybe I'll have one on hand just in case. Now I can go back to worrying about how I'm going to sleep after surgery. I've never been able to sleep on my back. Ha, if it isn't one thing it's another!

I got my confirmation of the surgery date today so it's all starting to come together. I'm kind of happy/excited as I am hopeful this will put an end to so many little irritants in my life.
Unread 12-06-2004, 06:38 PM

Several of the ladies on the board that had rectoceles repaired say their donut pillows were essential. I've got two and I think it's more uncomfortable to sit on a donut than to sit on a regular pillow. I guess everyone's different!

They don't cost that much, so just in case you're one of the ones that thinks they help you might as well pick one up.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register