Celiac and Arthritis-like Symptoms - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Celiac and Arthritis-like Symptoms Celiac and Arthritis-like Symptoms

Unread 03-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Celiac and Arthritis-like Symptoms

G'Day Lisa 922,

Many thank yous for your indepth repsonse!

further to my post, today I went to the dietician at out local Hospital, she said I have all 'the red flag symptoms for celiac disease', so on Friday I have to go to my GP (Dr.) & get a blood test with the view of checking for celiac disease, & if this should come back positive I will have to have a further gastropscopy & search to confirm celiac disease! Oh yipeee! more tests!, tho having said that it may well explain a whole lot, if not she said she is stumped!

She said she will discuss my case with my Dr. tomorrow(Thursday) & then after my blood tests she said by the time they come thru, she wants to see me April 6th & we shall know which direction to take with regard to my diet as having severe osteporosis & oesphagitis reflux its better to confirm all before she recommends any changes to my diet, having said all that for a 'normal healthy adult' she said I had a really balanced diet but for a celiac I would have to change it...yippee!....

Now I must try to do some research with regard to this 'celiac disease' she said I am not to do anything presently until its either confirmed or denied, but I would like to know a little about what it is..... if its so it would explain a whole bunch of on going symptoms that have been present!

cheers Vegemite

PS I will keep posting as I learn more & each Drs visit.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2005, 09:36 PM

Hiya, Vegemite -

Wow! I am so glad that your dietician recognizes the possibility of Celiac so you can get tested for it. It is definitely a big dietary change, but I have noticed a lot of improvement since I've been on the diet. She is smart to tell you not to change your diet until your testing is done as removing gluten from your diet before testing can give you false negative results. If you would like, I can suggest some websites for you. One is www.celiac.com and the other one is a delphi forum for celiac that you have to sign up for to post messages and stuff like that. I believe it is http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac - hopefully it will give good directions to sign up for it since it has been such a long time ago that I signed up and I can't remember all I had to do. You'll find lots of good info on both sites. I will private message you my e-mail address and you can feel free to write me there if you want - you just may want to put something in the subject line so I know it is you. Good luck with your other appts!
Unread 03-09-2005, 12:54 AM

I have been diagnosed with fibro and chronic fatigue X 13 years. I was just told today after testing that I have gluten intolerance. Your posts were very informative and I'll check out the website. My Dr said it's genetic and I'm fair skinned angle. My mom has osteoporosis very bad and I have a few cousins with celiac disease. The diet is goint o be very hard to change for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2005, 04:41 AM

Hi, LindaLeeK -

I'm glad the posts have been informative! I think you will get a lot of info from those sites. Please let me know if you have any more questions or if you would like to write me via regular e-mail. It is amazing how long it takes to diagnose Celiac, isn't it? Maybe that will change so people won't have to suffer for so many years before finding out the problem. Has your Mom been tested, too, because of her osteoporosis? And you even have cousins with it already - how long have they had it? My Dad is the one who has it also, but my sister still hasn't been tested. I don't really think she has it, but it would be good to get tested anyway. My kids are after me to get off the computer and get breakfast, so I better go!! Good luck with the research and diet. It is definitely a major change, but worth it to feel better!!
Unread 04-02-2005, 07:31 AM
me too

I have been diagnosed with mild osteoporosis just a few weeks ago. I was diagnosed with celiac's in Sept. 2003.
I also was diagnosed with possible fibromyalgia but since it seems better when I stay gf(which is very hard for me to do)my Dr. isn't quite sure if its fibro or a gluten reaction.

I had more atypical symptoms--couldn't lose weight, neurological symptoms.
When I first went gf, 25 pounds fell right off me--to bad I discovered gf baking.

My mom has severe osteoporosis, the kind where she can break a rib just from sneezing; I know she is an undiagnosed celiac. She wouldn't do anything about it, even if she was diagnosed.

My insurance won't cover any of the testing for Celiac's(they say gastroenterologists require to many tests, so they won't cover them) Dr. did do a blood test but it was inconclusive because I had been fairly gf for a while.

I feel like I'm falling apart at 40. I have trouble staying gf--from a psychological point--I have never had an "official, this is what the test says" diagnosis, eventhough I feel like crud when I eat something with gluten.

Thats my story.

Dana
Unread 04-02-2005, 08:51 AM

Hi, Dana -

I remember talking to you online in December! I don't seem to get on this site much unless I get a message that someone has replied to a post I'm subscribed to, so I don't know if I ever responded to the PM you sent me. My e-mail is in the PM I sent you in case you want to write me there. I'm very sorry to hear about your osteoporosis diagnosis. That is definitely a bummer. Also that your insurance wouldn't cover the testing. Of course, as you said, since you have been mostly gf, it probably would not show up officially anyway. I hope that you will have better luck with the diet. Even though you don't have the "official" Celiac diagnosis, now that you have osteoporosis and your mom has severe osteo, hopefully that will help you be motivated to keep away from gluten completely. I can totally understand where you're coming from because I really should avoid sugar, but since I don't have any official Type 2 diabetes diagnosis, I pigged out on jelly beans!! Now I am paying for it, even though they were gf, they still upset my tummy. I really should avoid eating lots of carbs, but lately I have been indulging in the gf carbs. I seem to be addicted to those just as badly as I was to the gluten carbs before. Argh!! It's hard to avoid so much stuff!! I hope that you will be feeling better soon!
Unread 04-02-2005, 08:53 AM

Hi, Vegemite -

I see that your appt is coming up on April 6th. I hope that you have been able to find out a lot about Celiac recently and that your tests have not been too hard on you. If you have time, let me know how your appt goes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register