I Am So Confused...please Help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I Am So Confused...please Help I Am So Confused...please Help

Unread 12-06-2004, 10:05 AM
I Am So Confused...please Help

I hate to sound like a broken record but I am still sooooooo confused.

I won't get into the FEAR Factor right now.

My post here is on confusion. I don't know what to do.

I am 50 years old and the dr wants to take my ovaries because of major infertility drugs in the past (took them for 5 years) He said the risk of ovarian cancer is high even though the ultrasound showed they were healthy.
On one side I want them to go because of the risks, but on the other side I don't want to take Hormones because I keep hearing about the risks with them.
Please, someone give me some input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2004, 10:41 AM

Hi Taxi,

Could you ask your Dr. what the % is for ovarian cancer after taking fertility drugs?? In pre-op, my Dr. said that approx. 5% of women get ovarian cancer. I have seen some Hyster Sisters post a % that is less. It might help you make a decision.

Also, maybe you are a candidate to keep one ovary ?? By keeping one healthy ovary, it decreases the chances of ovarian cancer by 50%. I have seen many one ovary ladies post who are doing great.

Also, maybe you could get a 2nd opinion on the ovary question?? Just to help you with your decision.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 12-06-2004, 10:46 AM

Mary,
Believe it or not, I was thinking the exact same thing. Asking him to keep the healthiest looking ovary.

It was hard enough to make the decision for the dang hysterectomy, now I have all of these other decisions.

But at least I can "choose". I feel for the other women in the world that don't have a choice.

Thanks for the input.

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2004, 10:58 AM

Hi Taxi,

That sounds like a great idea. Just talking it over with your Dr. more.

I can suggest going on LizPagan's ovary thread running on the Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives board right now. Has some great info.!!!

Best wishes again. Do not worry. You will make a good decision for yourself.

Mary
Unread 12-06-2004, 11:28 AM

Hi! I had a TAH/BSO last Monday (11/29) due to an extremely large uterus (12+ times larger than the average) with multiple fibroids, internal and external. I'm also 50 years old and hadn't suffered any menopausal symptoms prior to my surgery.

I'm a real weanie when it comes to surgery, since I'd never been really sick or had any need for surgery in the past. I struggled over the ovary issue but decided I wanted to lower the risk of having to have additional surgery at a later date, so went along with my doc's suggestion.

All kinds of cancer runs in my family, including breast cancer (my mother died from it), but I figured breast cancer is easier to detect at an early stage than ovarian cancer, and my doc said she'll put me on an estrogen patch only if necessary at as low a dose as possible--and that if I did need estrogen for quality of life, I'd probably only have to be on the patch for 5 years; I could try weaning myself off.

At any rate, it ended up that I had ovarian cysts (hadn't been noted on my prior ultrasound), so I'm glad they were removed now--chances are they'd give me problems later on. And hallelujah--to date I haven't had a single hot flash! Not that I won't, but I'm feeling lucky--hopefully no hormone therapy for me!

I was also concerned about bone loss by NOT taking estrogen, but there are other ways to combat that.

Hope this helps. I guess to sum it up I'd say that having your ovaries removed doesn't necessarily mean that you'll have to take hormone therapy. If you have no symptoms or mild symptoms, there really is no need. You are in control of that decision.

Good luck. Keep us posted on what you decide to do!

Pam--Finally a
Unread 12-06-2004, 12:00 PM

Pam,

You sound like me so much its almost scary. ALL of what you said IS ME!!!!!

The dr told me that when I woke up he would already have an estrodial patch on me and that he wanted me to use it from 6 months to a year.

In hindsite when I think about it, if anything is hereditary,
my mom barely knew when she went throught menopause. All of a sudden her periods got erratic and then stopped. No hot flashes, nothing. She told me she thinks she was about 52-53 when they all stopped.

So, I guess taking the ovaries is probably the way to go. I also asked him about the bone thing and he said he would routinely give me a bone density test.

Isn't life grand????

Pat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register